• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts (Sitcom)

We still don’t know how Robyn, Kitty and the Captain died. The Captain is the biggest mystery because he must have died at Button House but there is no clue on him how he died. I think there are hints to how Kitty died in series 3 but we don’t know for sure.

Also we don’t know why Mary was burnt.
Of course, we've seen the histories of some characters, but not everything. It's quite clever how they've drip fed the ghosts' stories to us, but left more to explore. I think one more season, enough to round off the ghosts' stories and give the humans a chance to make or break the business.

The BBC seem to have a awful habit of not commission good shows and never sat right with me that they only did 1 season of The Living and The Dead :(
That was a wonderful programme and so much more scope. Also with that massive cliff hanger at the end. But then you get the rubbishy things that go on forever.

That was a wonderful programme and so much more scope. Also with that massive cliff hanger at the end. But then you get the rubbishy things that go on forever.
Yes so true and they did that with Goodnight Sweetheart back in 2016 with the one off special but there was room for 1 season I thought but instead did it with Still Open All Hours ?.
If only I had the power.

If they're not getting the viewers for a prime time slot, and it's expensive and not justifying its costs, the axe is going to fall, I'm afraid.

As for Ghosts, I read in the paper that the TV critics think it's getting beyond its sell-by date, alas. Not in this house!

If they're not getting the viewers for a prime time slot, and it's expensive and not justifying its costs, the axe is going to fall, I'm afraid.

As for Ghosts, I read in the paper that the TV critics think it's getting beyond its sell-by date, alas. Not in this house!
I really don’t know where they get that idea. There’s still plenty of miles yet.

I realise I'm probably just very slow on the uptake, but I've only just realised that the caveman and the severed head are played by the same actor.

I found out another snippet of info about Ghosts today- the house its filmed in is owned by Bamber Gascoigne.

I know a schizophrenic who has 5 or so voices in her head. This must be what it is like.

We know she was horrible. But we still don’t know how Kitty died. I suspect her sister locked her in somewhere as a ‘game’. It’s so horrible to see her treated so badly when she’s such a bundle of joy.

Yeah, tonight's wasn't all that funny, though it made the plot more substantial, I suppose.

B3F7A1A1-34ED-4081-9397-3CBFB9B0CA1E.jpg

I saw this on Instagram. I love it.

Still no confirmation as to a series 4.
I reckon there's scope for a few more backstories yet.
I also like the revelations that pretty well all of the ghosts had significant failings when alive - Kitty is terminally naïve and gullible, Thomas is a cringeworthy romantic and grossly overestimates his poetic skills, Julian was a downright cad, Fanny was aloof and prudish, Pat was so obsessed with scouting that he neglected his husbandly duties, The Captain was tortured by the knowledge that he was secretly gay and Mary seems to think that being widowed and then burnt as a witch was her own fault for going against tradition.
Despite all their hang-ups though, the afterlife has given them all an opportunity for redemption.
It's only Sir Humphrey Bone, whose love for a woman who was betraying him, resulted in his demise, that had a certain nobility to it.
Still don't know about Robin though and hope we do get a caveman backstory.

My daughter came over at the weekend and we binged the entire Series 3.

Maybe slightly fewer laughs than the last two series, but as a lot of those laughs were derived from situations we now know about, they couldn't be repeated. It's a wonderfully character-led series, rather than being all about the action, and I love the subtleties of the characters. Love the AA-style confessional with the Captain trying to build up to an admission (presumably about being gay, but we may never know) and then gratefully being ignored.

Love it. But one more series and I think that would be enough. I'd worry about situations getting strained or being re-hashed (although I loved Julian thinking about his demise, we'd already seen it). Once we've learned the ghost's backstory, there's not so much that can be done with their character. Let's learn about Mary, Kitty and Robin and then get out.

And we'd completely overlooked Humphrey Bone! It was wonderful to see his storyline.

If that really was the last episode last night it was a lovely way to go out, one of the funniest of the run, and a satisfying wrap up of the arc. Loved Robin the Caveman's improv skills: "No."

I saw the first episode of the American version a few days ago.

I enjoyed it, laughed out loud a couple of times. It's fun seeing what's been directly copied and what's been re-worked from the original.

What with the different characters and it's exploration of American history and values it's got its own flavour (flavor) which is nice.

Oi gives it a thumbs ups

So far on the fence about the US version, 4 episodes in. Its very American (duh), glossy and somehow has the soul of the UK original drained out. Without the original to compare it would be watchable but for me it doesn't quite hit the spot although I have trouble putting my finger on quite why.

Back