• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts (Sitcom)

I'm just rewatching the original three series AGAIN. It is the most comforting, cosy TV imaginable, like being hugged by all the characters individually.
This! Even Julian becomes someone you like. We now immediately say Julians about in spookah movies when things fall over. I just dont feel this for any of the US versions characters.

So far on the fence about the US version, 4 episodes in. Its very American (duh), glossy and somehow has the soul of the UK original drained out. Without the original to compare it would be watchable but for me it doesn't quite hit the spot although I have trouble putting my finger on quite why.
America do things all big and glossy be it television, film, comedy, sport and food but it doesn't make it better.

America do things all big and glossy be it television, film, comedy, sport and food but it doesn't make it better.
I read the first half of your reply in Robin's voice....

So far on the fence about the US version, 4 episodes in. Its very American (duh), glossy and somehow has the soul of the UK original drained out. Without the original to compare it would be watchable but for me it doesn't quite hit the spot although I have trouble putting my finger on quite why.
Overacting? But I agree totally with your opinion.
I find the UK version much more charming.

I've just started watching 'Bill', the same group's take on Shakespeare. I've only watched the first ten minutes so far, but it's a very similar 'feel' to Ghosts, plus the same actors too, of course.

I've just started watching 'Bill', the same group's take on Shakespeare. I've only watched the first ten minutes so far, but it's a very similar 'feel' to Ghosts, plus the same actors too, of course.
Horrible Histories did a film Rotten Romans but it was after this lot left and it was pretty rubbish.

One of the big differences between the UK and US versions is the time per episode (UK 28mins US 20mins)

I think its what gives the US version it's slightly punchy/fast pace feel (less time to get the gags in)

That said I'm still enjoying it. The throwaway line about Lord Howe* was a nice touch (2nd/3rd episode?) as was the matter-of-fact discussion about the medicinal use of cocaine from Hetty.

I will also go out on a limb and say, when the ghosts are all talking at the same time, I think the US version is better 'choreographed' than the UK. Some lovely little asides can be made out that doesn't seem to happen as much with the Brit version.

*made me look him up

Has anyone been watching the American series?

I have, and am enjoying it.

The last episode I saw had a brilliantly effete resumption of the Revolutionary War and repressed flirting between Issac and the British Officer which had me laughing out loud.

And good to see Martha Howe-Douglas looking like a "normal" person for a change! I liked the contract negotiations for the land, but anything with Robin makes me laugh. This show does "sweet" really well, I forget that amongst the chuckles.

It reminded me a bit of last Christmas's episode - less about the laughs and more about the 'spirit' of the thing (sorry!)

My favourite episode has to be 'The Thomas Thorne Affair' - so good to see one story from all the different perspectives, each skewed to their own experiences.

A friend of mine e-mailed me a Tweet from Martha Howe-Douglas (I don't do Twitter, so no idea how to link or embed it). Anyway, filming on Ghosts s4 has been completed and now it'll be edited together and broadcast later in the year.
Here you go it’s from Instagram but it’s probably the same message.
EB97CF1F-3FB5-4FEE-B49B-21752C176382.jpeg
8A7DDB64-F41F-443A-8CF2-44AF7EFC4751.jpeg

Back