• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts (Sitcom)

Was quite looking forward to the special episode of Ghosts for Comic Relief's Red Nose Day, featuring guest star Kylie Minogue.
Unfortunately she caught Covid and it was cancelled.

Been binge watching this , on series 2 now and absolutely love it, sweet, sad, laugh out loud, but kitty is so lovely I am dreading seeing how she dies.
Isn't it fabulous? It's my new 'comfort watch' (replacing Time Team), and whenever my youngest daughter is over we watch the entire thing over and over. Absolutely adorable - Ghosts, that is, not me. Or her.

Right behind kitty in my favourites is Mary, her concern for the loose women was most touching, and very funny, but i am worried about series 4, the first 3 are perfect so 4 most be a let-down.........

Right behind kitty in my favourites is Mary, her concern for the loose women was most touching, and very funny, but i am worried about series 4, the first 3 are perfect so 4 most be a let-down.........
I don't think I was as keen on the last Christmas special.

One more series. Just to finish off all the stories that we haven't heard yet - Mary and the Captain spring to mind, and Robin. Once we know why everyone is there it stops being quite so involving and becomes more of a general sit-com (ooh, look, nobody can see the ghosts, isn't that funny?). As it stands it's best moments seem to be as the ghosts reveal more of their backgrounds and reasons for existing. I want it to go out on that exquisite, couldn't-be-bettered high note.

I want it to go out on that exquisite, couldn't-be-bettered high note.

Just so long as they remember to include a few laughs, and less “Sociology module from Islington Polytechnic’s Gender Studies degree”.

maximus otter

I'll be happy if they point out that witches weren't actually burned...
They should know that as they did Horrible Histories. But has anyone ever said Mary was a witch? We don’t actually know what happened other than it was fire related do we?

They should know that as they did Horrible Histories. But has anyone ever said Mary was a witch? We don’t actually know what happened other than it was fire related do we?
I think she has mentioned witchcraft in some context, not necessarily that she was burned as a witch though.

I think she has mentioned witchcraft in some context, not necessarily that she was burned as a witch though.
As far as I remember she’s pretty god fearing. So she’s probably scared of witchcraft, which a lot of modern things will seem to her.

She has to have died in Button house or the land before it? Is she older than the house? Actually Humphrey was from an earlier house wasn’t he? So she’s unlikely to have been burned as a witch (if witch burning was a thing in England) at some posh persons house. I do wonder if she died in a kitchen fire or some other house fire and she was a servant.

One more series. Just to finish off all the stories that we haven't heard yet - Mary and the Captain spring to mind, and Robin. Once we know why everyone is there it stops being quite so involving and becomes more of a general sit-com (ooh, look, nobody can see the ghosts, isn't that funny?). As it stands it's best moments seem to be as the ghosts reveal more of their backgrounds and reasons for existing. I want it to go out on that exquisite, couldn't-be-bettered high note.

Yes indeed. I do hope we get Robin's story. I doubt the budget would stretch to a fatal run-in with a woolly mammoth, so I expect his demise will be something rather more mundane (and comical). Mind you, frozen in time as a middle-aged (ish) ghost, he would have been considered quite elderly by his stone-age peers, so perhaps he just died of old age?

As far as I remember she’s pretty god fearing. So she’s probably scared of witchcraft, which a lot of modern things will seem to her.

In some episodes she does folk charm remedy stuff. I seem to remember her 'blessing' the ground after the woodworm men left.

I hadn't thought of that. There is an assumption that she was burned as a witch but there are other reasons to die by fire.

AA326E0F-4014-4C27-A5E9-38AA4A53EB5E.jpeg

There’s a trailer for the new series. It looks like we might get some of Robin’s story.

I am really looking forward to this!
Me too. I just hope they can sustain the previous levels of humour/emotion, because it's been that balance of touching and amusing that's made this series special. And also, I think, perhaps why the Christmas episodes have been less successful - there simply isn't room to make the emotion and humour front and centre when you've got to shoehorn Christmas in.

And it looks like Bridget Christie returns! (Although maybe briefly if that brief snippet is anything to go by)

I've binged the fourth series and think it's very good. Some clever meta stuff with the plague victims and really well developed character arcs.

And Mary... oh Mary... I's likes 'er storylines's

I was going to resist until broadcast but I think you might have tempted me...

As an aside, I think 'Ghosts' has generally improved as time has went on, which is kind of unusual but I'm glad!

Back