• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts (Sitcom)

I loved Moondial. I got it on dvd but never did get around to watch it. Probably just as well often things aren’t as good as you remember , as a rewatching of Sapphire and Steal reminded me.
I watched Moondial a few years back and it's still very very good watching it as a adult and that goes for Children of The Stone, The Ghosts of Motley Hall and a good few of Dramarama.

I watched Moondial a few years back and it's still very very good watching it as an adult and that goes for Children of The Stone, The Ghosts of Motley Hall and a good few of Dramarama.
I think I saw a moonstone book a few weeks back.

I loved Moondial. I got it on dvd but never did get around to watch it. Probably just as well often things aren’t as good as you remember , as a rewatching of Sapphire and Steal reminded me.
Sapphire and Steel is still brilliant. A couple of ropey bits but generally great. Now Space 1999, that's one that should have stayed in my memory rather than being rewatched.

Ghosts US starts on Sunday on BBC 3 at 8.30.

I agree that Sapphire and Steel stands up pretty well. Good writing, I suspect, stands the test of time, whilst special effects can let things down a bit.

I like some old school effects but my favourite was the whistling WW1 ghost in the train Station.
It’s that one that put me off. It had such promise. But they solved it by feeding that poor old bloke to whatever it was. Also surely someone his age at the time would have had a connection to the war but that was never mentioned. Also the stories seemed to drag on too long. I thought that was a modern thing.

I loved Monkey when I was little but I won’t watch that again because I know it’s awful.

It’s that one that put me off. It had such promise. But they solved it by feeding that poor old bloke to whatever it was. Also surely someone his age at the time would have had a connection to the war but that was never mentioned. Also the stories seemed to drag on too long. I thought that was a modern thing.

I loved Monkey when I was little but I won’t watch that again because I know it’s awful.
The Water Margin

Fair play but the next episode was crap as it seemed to be about a Duck or Geese ?
Saying that Tales of The Unexpected did my brain in.

Tales of the Unexpected really hasn't stood the test of time, nor has the similar Tales from the Darkside, but I'm still drawn to watching them.:D

Tales of the Unexpected really hasn't stood the test of time, nor has the similar Tales from the Darkside, but I'm still drawn to watching them.:D

The whole appeal was in the "can you guess the twist?" thing.
Now they've been repeated so many times, that's all become a bit pointless.

Dragging the stories out too long was a particular marker of the 70's and early 80's TV for me. See any Original Dr Who, with its hours of people running down corridors and escaping only to be recaptured. Those stories used to tell a story over six weeks that would be told in fifty minutes these days.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of the US version of Ghosts. It's quite funny and, but doesn't quite have the wit of the UK version, and the ghosts are less distinctive. Apart from of lost Viking warrior and a Native American, the oldest ghost is from the American War of Independence (serves as an equivalent of The Captain), three Ghosts are from the 20th century (20s, 60s and 80s), and one Trevor (Wall Street Trader) from the 2000s. Trevor is the Julian equivalent, but nowhere near as awful - most of the characters are less quirky than the UK equivalents (if they have them). Need to see more so see if it's got the streaks of Black Comedy, and near tragedy that the UK version has. It's quite funny, but not as smart as the UK original. Probably will watch more of it.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of the US version of Ghosts. It's quite funny and, but doesn't quite have the wit of the UK version, and the ghosts are less distinctive. Apart from of lost Viking warrior and a Native American, the oldest ghost is from the American War of Independence (serves as an equivalent of The Captain), three Ghosts are from the 20th century (20s, 60s and 80s), and one Trevor (Wall Street Trader) from the 2000s. Trevor is the Julian equivalent, but nowhere near as awful - most of the characters are less quirky than the UK equivalents (if they have them). Need to see more so see if it's got the streaks of Black Comedy, and near tragedy that the UK version has. It's quite funny, but not as smart as the UK original. Probably will watch more of it.
Enjoying it, yes the UK original is better but compared to some US remakes...

If the UK version did not exist and I came across this I would be quite happy to stick with it.

Some situations/ jokes are exactly the same some are different. 18 episodes.

I couldn’t believe how many deaths they told us about in the first episode. ‘Hi I’m so and so I died like this…’ We’ve waited series to find out some of the UK ones. I’m not sure the UK one would have gone for dysentery death. At least I hope that’s not how the captain died.

I couldn’t believe how many deaths they told us about in the first episode. ‘Hi I’m so and so I died like this…’ We’ve waited series to find out some of the UK ones. I’m not sure the UK one would have gone for dysentery death. At least I hope that’s not how the captain died.
Sounds like info dumping. But I've found American series to be more like this - as thought they really don't like much in the way of unanswered questions - the question tends to be asked and anwered within one episode, whereas British series can keep a question going throughout an entire series.

It improves with season 2 imho, you are over the shock of them not being the proper line up and accept them for who they are/were. I get the feeling the stories will start to get a bit thin though, given how long US seasons are, we are already well past the number of UK episodes.

I think i will stay with the original, the US version seems awful.

I’m on episode 3, and starting to not hate it…. The first episode I loathed, the second (I’m a sucker for punishment) was better. I have it on in the background at the moment and I laughed out loud during episode 3. It’s not as good, it seems not to have the breadth of emotion of the original, but I’ll keep watching.

Wasn't planning to watch the US remake, but I gave it a try after the football yesterday.
At just 18 minutes per episode, it's fairly painless binge-watching.
The Viking character isn't as engaging as the Neanderthal Robin, nor does the Yo Mama Alberta have the charm of Kitty. The Wall Street broker is a sleazebag, but is very much a toned-down version of the Paddy-Pantsdown, philandering Julian. The jokes at the expense of the hippy were a bit predictable too. Pat/Pete are quite similar, with almost identical storylines in both. I did laugh a couple of times though at the snarky one-liners that the American Indian ghost came out with. He's probably the pick of the US ghosts.

Last edited:
p0dk9729.jpg

Hohoho. Wonder why Fanny can be seen slightly?

Back