• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Bipedal Cats

A

Anonymous

Cat Demon

An aquaintance of mine posted this on my other favourite message board. I am sure he won't mind me replicating it here. I thought it was a good story worthy of comment.

I've been thinking about telling this story for a while, but haven't got around to it. Nearly everyone has a 'ghost story' or something really strange that has happened to them. Members of this community are likely to be more sensitive to the 'paranorrmal' than most. I'd like to share my ghost story and hear your theories on and experiences with the other beings that we share this reality with.

Around 5 years ago, I was in my last year of highschool, studying hard, and at night I would sometimes go skateboarding around my suburb to clear my head before going to sleep. At the time, I was reading 'the famished road' by Ben Okri, in which the world is inhabited by a multitude of spiritual beings. I was really into the book and I was convinced that it was possible to see spirits if you approached with the right mindset. Now, I didn't go out looking for spirits - I'm sure I wasn't even thinking about it at the time. I'm sure I didn't make myself see what I saw.

As I reached the driveway of my house, I saw movement next to a van parked nextdoor. About 20 m away from me. It was the size of a human, but it was clearly a feline creature. It walked on it's back legs but moved like a cat. It had a tail, pointy ears, and cats eyes. It saw me and quickly slid behind the van. I saw it for no more than a second, and really only out of the corner of my eye. The way it looked at me was exactly like a cat does when it's startled - body frozen, eyes staring. I didn't really feel scared, just intrigued, but a bit wary. I went and had a look behind the van but there was nothing there.

I considered that it may not have been there at all - just a shadow that my brain had extrapolated into a cat person. But the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced I had seen something real and strange. I told my sister about it. She thought I was just being stupid.

Now, I wasn't totally convinced, until the next morning - when I found my cat dead.

I told this story to someone with probably the most accumulated knowledge of anyone I know, and he said his sister had had an experience in which she was driving through a suburban area and a creature exactly like the one I saw jumped onto her bonnet and stared at her throught the windscreen. She naturally panicked and swerved all over the road but the creature just sat on the front of her car. After a short time it jumped off and ran into some bushes.

So, anyone else seen any cat people around the suburbs?

Whitley Steiber reports he saw a giant "cat thing" in the back of a car. How much credence you put in that is up to you... :)

Re: Cat Demon

I saw it for no more than a second, and really only out of the corner of my eye.
I know what that's like. :(

I considered that it may not have been there at all... But the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced I had seen something real and strange.
I know what that's like, too.

So tell me, Fenris, if you don't mind. What message board was this posted on?

Re: Re: Cat Demon

Bannik said:
I know what that's like. :(

I know what that's like, too.

So tell me, Fenris, if you don't mind. What message board was this posted on?

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net

Its in the around the campfire section. Titled, Strange Happenings.

I believe the event happened in Perth WA.

I have seen something that sounds similar to this, although I was only 6 or 7 at the time.
I was visiting with relatives in the country, and in a place and time when there was a great deal of wildlife, including foxes. I had seen some foxes earlier, a day or two before this occurred, out in a field not far from the house, so I think that coloured my perception.
On this day though, I was playing near the barn, and looked up to see a 'fox' walking past the chicken coop on it's two hind legs. Pointy ears, long fluffy tail, and slanty eyes, but much too large (I now realize) to have been a fox, and definitly foxes don't walk upright. It's colour was a reddish brown, not as red as real foxes are, in my expierience.
It didn't see me, but walked off into the surrounding woods, I had it in sight for perhaps 30 seconds to a minute.
Perhaps it was the same sort of creature, although he considered the thing he saw cat-like, and I considered it fox-like.

Cat-headed and fox-headed men! :eek!!!!:

That reminds me of a really nasty dream I had when I was a little girl, we were traveling through the back roads on our way down to devon and during the early hours I had a very vivid and nasty dream of a fox headed man screaming in pain and stumbling towards me for help because he had been crushed by a car and as we set off later that morning only a few yards further down the road we saw arather fresh looking dead fox. Scared the bejesus out of me!

Giant Bi-Pedal Cat

When i was young must have been betwwen 5 and 7 yrs old anyhow i remember the house across the way from us was uninhabited and in a bit of a delapidated state (this was on a housing estate so was since fixed etc etc.).What i remember is this house always seemed to have cats coming and going in their tens maybe 20's and a friend and i decided to go in. We went in to the front door and into the living room of the house and in front of us was a hole in the living room wall what was strange was the hole had no light emitting from it (it was broad daylight outside) it was a pretty sizeable hole but there were lots of cats miaowwing and coming in and out of the hole! My friend got scared and began to feel uneasy and started to run i remember waiting that extra second only to see what i can describe a CAT shaped thing the size of a man emerge from the darkness in the hole this all happened in slow motion i even remember thinking this cannot be real it was walking on its two legs like any human and was a ginger and white colour. this image has never left me i can not explain it i know it was broad daylight it was a sunny day. Perhaps an illusion of some sort but it sure felt real.

Giant bi-pedal cat

Hi Cookemeister

Fantastic! Did this figure see you, or react to you in any way? Did it make any noises at all?

What happened to the house - did anyone buy it, or were there other stories about it being 'odd', and were you ever tempted to go back?

Lots of questions, I know, but this is a fascinating one!

dt iaw n Bast, s'en ta n Mafdet!
The Knight in Pearl

Hi Pearl Knight..when the creature came into view it was like slow motion and there was no sound i know i was afraid to go into the house again after that. I am sure the creature (if you can call it that) seen me i do not know if it was just letting me see it or what they say when u are young you can see things others cannot eh? Oh the house itself was habited a few months later and still is and i never heard another story about it.

A Kzinti fiddling with space-time?

2 points for the star trek referance! Many cats can grow very large, at 5 to 7 years old, maybe a large cat just appeared, and it seemed bigger to you as a child, of coure WHY it was walking on two egs is another matter! Did it stoop to get through the hole?

Star Trek? The Kzin are a Larry Niven creation. /nitpick ;)

Awesome! Well played, sunsplash1!

Triple points if you realized it was both a Star Trek and a Larry Niven reference!

When I first read this post, I was reminded of an incident that happened when I was in the Boy Scouts. This was in the early 70s. We were on a five mile hike to prepare us for longer hikes that were coming up. The scoutmaster had us hike an easy trail that was basically a dirt road that only a few houses were on but was long enough to satisfy the requirements of the hike. We came upon a small cottage that looked boarded up. Since we were far ahead of the rest of the group, we enthusiastically tried to break in, being the type of kids we were. I went to the front door, but not only was it locked, but through the window it looked like there were boxes stacked everywhere.

All of a sudden, one of the kids who was more nervous about getting into trouble shouted to us. He had kind of a strange look on his face. Frightened, he was staring up at the second floor. After questioning him, he swore on his mother that he had seen the face of a large thing that, in his words, "looked like a big cat, but wasn't."

He swore that it looked like a mixture of cat and human. The face simply looked out the upper window at him, then disappeared.

We told the scoutmaster about the sighting, and he said that it served us right trying to break into someone's old house, though it was apparent that he didn't believe a word of it.

In my more pragmatic moments I figure that the kid was simply lying to get us to not break in. Other times, I wonder. I mean, the look of fear on his face and the quiver in his voice was not easily faked.

To this day, I just don't know what to make of it.

Cats can walk on two legs just hold some tasty treat at waist height and watch the cat try to get it.

These posts remind me of how sometimes people who don't want their properties broken into when they are not there do a spell which involves leaving a spirit to guard the place. The spirit is usually a guardian type of animal like a dog or large cat and will only show itself to scare off people who are breaking in. Its unlikely to attack you its just trying to scare you by appearing menacing.

Well I mean I've just read about it somewhere ..er.. (cough).

Philo_T said:
Awesome! Well played, sunsplash1!

Triple points if you realized it was both a Star Trek and a Larry Niven reference!

I think the Kzinti were mentioned in one of Plato's great works...
:p

hokum6 said:
Star Trek? The Kzin are a Larry Niven creation. /nitpick ;)
Actually you were BOTH correct. The Kzinti were a Niven creation. However in the Animated adventures of Star Trek, the Kzinti did have a story-line.

Noted science fiction authors such as David Gerrold and Larry Niven contributed scripts for the animated series. In addition to a sequel to the famous episode The Trouble with Tribbles, two notable episodes of the cartoon include Yesteryear (a time-travel episode in which Mr. Spock uses the time gateway from the live-action episode City on the Edge of Forever to travel to his own childhood past) and Niven's The Slaver Weapon (adapted from his own short story "The Soft Weapon"). Larry Niven in particular included some elements from his Known Space mythos, such as the Kzinti and the Slavers.

One thing i am pretty sure of though is that Plato never mentioned them. Mayhap you "googled" the word 'Kzinti' and saw the phrase "Plato's step children" which was the title of a star trek episode. ?

Hey even then i knew the difference between a cat on its hind legs and a cat the size of an adult! The hole was pretty large ie an adult male could walk through it.. this thing was bigger than my dad and he aint to Star Trek Midget Cat!!

Didn't know Niven wrote the Kzin into ST. Weird!

cookemeister said:
Hey even then i knew the difference between a cat on its hind legs and a cat the size of an adult! The hole was pretty large ie an adult male could walk through it.. this thing was bigger than my dad and he aint to Star Trek Midget Cat!!

Well said that man! It always amazed me when people say they saw something, for instance, Polar Bear sized, and in reply someone says, "maybe you saw a white dog on its hind legs" (doing its very best Polar bear impersonation, mayhap ?) lol!

cookiemeister ,My apologies, i too hate it when someone reads something totally differant to what you wrote, I am only trying to understand. i love cats, but a human sized cat would freak me out too. If you can remember, how did it walk? with the front legs just hanging there as a regular cat would, or swinging them like a human would?

I thought you were talking about my post. I wasn't suggesting it was an ordinary cat since in the rest of the post I was talking about animal spirits being used in shamanism and magic.

the only giant werecat I've ever encountered was in dreams... & that was more than enough for me (because shamanic flaying symbolism or not, it was pretty disconcerting at the time)

Back