• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Dragonflies

Dickydoubt_7

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hello! I wonder if anyone can help? I have obtained 2 reports of giant dragonflies from the United Kingdom, from friends who I consider to be trustworthy. If anyone has any reports from their localities, please can they let me know on this Forum? Thank you. If I receive enough reports I will write a piece for Fortean Times.

Regards, Richard Muirhead

How big is giant? Like prehistoric, two-foot wingspan giant?

I should have said that the dragonfly seen in Oxford measured 12 inches from the tip of one wing to the other.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm genuinely not being facetious or otherwise dismissive, but it wasn't one of those radio-controlled toy dragonflies, was it? Some of them are very lifelike (apart from their huge size).

12 inches, that is big... (no, nothing more meant there...)

I had the dryed carcus of a dragonfly, found on the sands of the lakes Blessington, (Pulaphuca Lakes to be exact) in Wicklow in Ireland. It was larger than my hand at the time, if I can remember it must have been at least 4 and a half to 5 inches long, with a simialr wingspan.

I came across it juts lying on the sand behind a rock, myself and my friend would not go near it until we were sure it was dead, (we threw a few stones gently around it) it was perfectly poised, full stretch, and wings splayed out to the sides. Long since been reduced to dust now! Shame it was a Rare perfect find.

In the UK? I doubt they could really get that Big honestly.

What insects need to become monsters is mostly swaplike humid environments with lots of vegitation and shelter. That way there is no winter to kill them off or hinder their growth, plus the air in swamps seem to have higher Carbon content in the air itself...which seems to help produce some pretty big bugs.

300 million years agom there we're 6 foot wingspan Dragon plies and 6 foot centipedes. And if the world was still as warm as it was back then, they'd still be around.

R28oo said:
In the UK? I doubt they could really get that Big honestly.

No It was not in the UK, it was in Ireland. Regardless, they were that big, so much so that from a distance and watching them flying over head, we had mistaken them for sparrows. The body of the Dragonfly that I found was at least half 15mm at it's thickest.

Some recent reports of unfeasibly huge dragonflies and other winged insects here.
If substantiated (very big IF), these bugs would rival their massive ancestors from the oxygen-rich carboniferous era.

Dragonfly.jpg

https://journalnews.com.ph/weird-sightings-of-giant-flying-insects/

Dragonflies are carnivorous, aren't they? One with a foot-wide wingspan could take off a finger!

Dragonflies are carnivorous, aren't they? One with a foot-wide wingspan could take off a finger!

Dragonfly versus Swan top trumps!!!!!

Back