• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Pterosaur In Western Australia

A

Anonymous

An interesting link:

http://www.cryptozoology.com/sightings/sightings_show.php?id=837

In December, 1997 my husband and I both sighted a huge creature flying over a densely populated area, while we were out walking one night in Perth, Western Australia on the coastline around 10:30pm. We were walking along Marmion Avenue between the suburbs of Heathridge and Ocean Reef.
This creature could not be written off as a bird as it was bigger than any bird on the planet, it did not flap it's wings (just glided on the air current), it had a ruddy reddish brown leathery skin; (we could see it's underneath as it flew over us at about 300ft up; the glow from all the ground lighting made that possible), it had a long tail and a wingspan that we estimated at between 30-50ft across.
We have speculated much over the years as to what it may have been. It made no sound and did not flap it's wings. The creature appeared to know where it was heading.....and just flew in the direction from North to South parallel to the coastline about 1/2 mile inland.
This creature was huge and never in my life have I ever seen anything that remotely resembled it until I found a page on Pterosaurs over the last few days.
Today on a trip with my husband and son we talked about that sighting and something else came to mind; maybe these creatures have always been here in remote places, but it is possible their numbers are increasing and they have to search farther a field for food.
I have also read over the last few days that we are not the only people who have seen one of these creatures.
I tried to ring a UFO line in Western Australia at the time but no one answered the telephone, so I gave up. With family life taking precedence, the sighting was pushed aside as who do you report these sightings to anyway?
If a creature that size is flying the night sky then it could be dangerous to humans....it must have a huge appetite.
My husband works in a scientific field and he observed it and took in much more about it than I did....I was more gaping and saying "what the hell is that?" We watched this creature glide on down the coastline until it was just a little dot on the horizon in the distance, which was about 5 minutes.
Being a middle aged couple who abhor the spotlight, we were not going to go to newspapers and leave ourselves open for ridicule.

Australia is a vast country, with a great deal of it unpopulated; any creature could go undiscovered. Besides the colouring of this creature could also blend in with the landscape making it hard to detect and also if it only comes out at night to hunt food it would make it even harder to find or catch.

But we both swear to God that we saw it, it was a clear, beautiful night, and we had been admiring the stars and walking and talking....when my husband spotted it first and pointed at it and told me to look up. It was certainly a shock to me at the time. A sighting of this type knocks you out of your comfort zone because we were looking at something that is not supposed to exist!

Whoever says these things are extinct is wrong? We know we saw it, and nothing could shake us from that conviction.

--- Is there anyone here from DownUnder? Is it true there have been other sightings?

Who knows with these net reported cases? Tempted though I am to yell "Garuda!" and possibly warn 'em to move away from the area for a bit...

There's one or two of us about. Can't say I've heard anything about this at all. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

reports like these I find quite frustrating, because they're superficially plausible (that is to say, the witnesses seem sincere and composed), but lacking the detail that could give them credibility or make it possible to investigate.

At the end of the day.....pterosaurs surving undetected throughout man's 60,000 year (?) tenancy in Australia - I don't buy it.

As with any crpytid, it only takes one guy with a camera or camcorder to provide the proof. So where is it?

Good link though - any fresh cryptid meat is alright by me!

You know you can get electric, radio-controlled gliding pterosaurs?
Just the thing for fooling people in bad light...

<<<...pterosaurs surving undetected throughout man's 60,000 year (?) tenancy in Australia - I don't buy it. >>>

Well, it is a huge continent, isn't it? Even the relatively small country as Britain - and densely populated at that - has a number of unexplained animal sigtings, has had them for centuries.

The Aborigines might have some legends of them, similar to the North American natives. Perhaps there are some stone carvings or cave drawings? Would be interesting to hear opinions of Australians themselves. I know there are quite a few on this MB.

Gloria said:
The Aborigines might have some legends of them, similar to the North American natives. Perhaps there are some stone carvings or cave drawings? Would be interesting to hear opinions of Australians themselves. I know there are quite a few on this MS.
None that I am aware of. (I'm not a scholar of WA indigenous traditions, however.) If there were any about, there would likely be paintings of them in the vicinity. That's where one should look for corroborative evidence.

Even in a fairly large, sparsely populated continent, a sustainable breeding population of any species would be hard to keep hidden for that long. Particularly one as big as suggested by the report.

Reports of Pteradactyle-like creatures, not to mention (relatively) small Sauropods and even an Allosaur-type creature, have come from central Africa. Perhaps these creatures passed through some time rift, which is why sightings of them are so sporadic. Just a thought.

On a slightly unrelated note, this alleged sighting took place about 10 minutes away from my house. And although I don't know much about Aboriginal folklore, I've never heard anything about giant birds.

Gnomey g said:
On a slightly unrelated note,
On the contrary. This is very related. For a start, you may be able to confirm whether there are any local traditions by checking at the state library, a local museum, or talking to the local Aboriginal affairs office or whatever.

Have you tried asking your neighbours I,ve found that people don,t think this stuff is important until you ask about it, plus they should know the couple involved at the time.

Im in Perth fancy that who would have thought there might be something fortean going on in the most isolated city on the planet.

Well, I suppose something has to happen in Perth.

anome said:
On the contrary. This is very related. For a start, you may be able to confirm whether there are any local traditions by checking at the state library, a local museum, or talking to the local Aboriginal affairs office or whatever.
I'll see what I can find out. Oh and Fenris, we also have a few big cats around the Wanneroo area, I have some nice plaster casts of their prints.

I have heard of big cats in the Jarrahdale and Serpentine areas but this is the first I have heard of big cats in Waneroo.
Could you post a photo of one of your prints, I would love to have a look.
There just aren't enough Fortean minded people in Perth to talk about this sort of thing with. It may not be as uneventful here as I thought but the overall apathy mutes any useful flow of information.

W.A plaster casts

I research living fossils and out of place animals.

id be interested to identifythe prints for you.

As for the comments about a camera/video recorder.

These type of animals/birds do not pose for the camera!Or people dont have them with them.

There have been sightings of other large birds all over Australia and yes the Aborigines do have carvings of giant birds.

The URU who lived here before the Aborigines also worshipped a bird man culture.

Pert is a hotbed for fortean

Perth rather than one the most remote cities on Earth is actually a hotbed as is most of Australia for unknown animal sightings.T.c/Cougars/large birds/water creatures and on and on.

There are many cryptozoologists there as well as thousands of sightings of all kinds of creatures.

I recieve approx 5 sightings a week from there of just big cat/like animals or sounds from an animal which they cant explain.

Also Cattle mutilations and sheep predations by big predators.

As well as UFO sightings and Abductions.

Perth has almost 500 people known to researchers who have been abducted in the past 10 years alone; I know one of the people who co-ordinates sessions for them as I maintain a Bio-chemists website on the Australian Military and Government UFO records he was allowed access to.

Perth far from some backwater in Australia is no less or no more exciting when it comes to unknown animals or ufos or anything really, they have just as much as anyone and they do have one of the worlds most secret underground bases in North West Cape.

Actually until 1991 it wasnt even known by many Australians at all, its fame came from the STS 48 Shuttle footage showing that firing at a craft, they tracked that to the vicinity of North West cape.

Even Thylacine sightings (Tasmanian Tiger) as well as some other Dinosaurs which survive in the remoter areas seen by travellers and Aborigines alike.

Re: Pterodactyl photo

Gloria said:
This thread seems like the closest one to put this link on:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page292.html

Looks like a genuine shot to me. What do you guys think?
Not to pee on your chips too much Gloria, but it looks very goose-like to me. Greylag geese have white rumps like the one on the alleged pterosaur. As for the person asking their friends if they saw anything, well, a bird may or may not have 'registered' as being there, but a pterosaur of any size more than likely would have!

It's a photo of a black binbag blowing in the air!

(tho it does look a bit like the description in that other thread of the "Giant Manta Ray" thing seen in the Lake District, or wherever it was...)

Re: Re: Pterodactyl photo

Caroline said:
...a pterosaur of any size more than likely would have!
I don't think this is a pterosaur personally but I have to disagree with the above statement. Humans have amazing capacity to blind themselves to that which is out-of-the-ordinary.

Personally, I never said it was a pterodactyl, did I, Caroline? I merely asked for everyone's (polite) opinion, that's all.

But considering the shot's perspective, I think this could indeed be either a goose at close range or - why not? - a surviving Thunderbird/prehistoric flying creature, naturally huge against the deer - either, depending on perspective, especially comparing this shot with today's new thread in General Forteana, the 9/11 Mothman/T-bird Hoax http://www.the-beyond.co.uk/images/wing.jpg. Either way, it does look genuine to me.

I have a good shot a friend of mine took overlooking a popular Sydney beach and in it is a figure/object which at first we thought was a UFO in the true sense, but at the time I remember him saying what was that.

The shot shows a similar shape to the photograph shown.

I have fractual software and next will show you what that photo might be from the train which to me is not what it seems.

Gloria, I shouldn't have used that phrase, it was in poor taste. I apologise.

No problem, Caroline. I understand that was an example of British humour. Glad no-one was going to pee in my beer. :)

I remember reading somewhere(A Rex Gilroy claim I think)of aboriginals having a memory of large (birds) flying in from across the water to isolated waterholes in the desert to lay their eggs.To this day some waterholes are not swam in,and are considered very dangerous by the aboriginals.

Hey guys, sorry about taking a while, I don't pop in here too often and please excuse the triple post, since I don't have any webspace, I'll have to upload the paw print pics using the attachment feature.
Here's the first one.

Last pic. I also believe that I heard the cat one night during June of last year. It was a very high pitched scream, scared the crap out of me. My friends dad also claims to have seen the cats on 2 occassions.

Back