• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Rabbits

I've seen all-black squirrels, albino skunks, skunks with inverted-colors, some deformed frogs and tortoises, and earthworms that had to be at least two feet in length.

Last year, my bf said he saw a "reverse" skunk--white with black stripes. I didn't know that was possible, and at the time I figured he'd seen a cat (though there isn't one around here which fits that description) or possibly the bottom of too many wineglasses. Now I'm wondering.

Night of the Lepus is a gloriously awful movie

Onix said:
There's a movie called IIRC "Nigth of the Lepus", about giant rabbits or hares. Perhaps your dad was just kidding. IMHO.
YES! With DeForrest Kelley! So you know it's all true, damn it, Jim!
Originally posted by stonedog
I think if you are 6 fourteen year old girls just about anything in a graveyard after darl is pretty scarey....
I am 6 fourteen year old girls! How did you kn--no, no, wait, I'm 14 six year old girls. My mistake.

I saw an oversized rabbit in Cheddar Gorge in 2007.I certainly wouldn't call it a giant rabbit but compared to the other rabbits it was with it was at least twice as long and at least half as high .
I disturbed the rabbits while walking along a path at the top of the gorge and they all ran across the path to hide under the undergrowth. As I say it was considerably bigger than the other rabbits it was with. It was definitely a rabbit and not a hare because it had that whitish colour on the tail. I haven't been back since but maybe there are some more up there.

Didn't there used to be a colony of wallabies in the Peak District? I know it's not exactly S England, but if they can survive in Derbyshire, surely they can survive down south? Maybe that was what your sister saw.
They can look very rabbit like, there are plenty of wallabies in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire - a long established population decended from Whipsnade escapees. They even turn up on school playing fields and allotments!

at least twice as long and at least half as high .

wouldn't that make it a long flat rabbit? ;)

neat that you saw it with the others and so were able to make a direct comparison!

wouldn't that make it a long flat rabbit? ;)

neat that you saw it with the others and so were able to make a direct comparison!
Should have said at least half as high again. I was with the girlfriend (now wife) at the time and was very dissapointed to find her looking at her mobile phone when I turned around to ask her if she'd seen it.

I saw a very big rabbit next to the railway at Dringhouses the other day. Sometimes rabbits are quite big - domestic rabbits get to be huge sometimes. Some of that polymorphism must get into the wild population on occasion.

If you've ever had cause to watch the first five minutes of Teletubbies (I would get bored when they turned their tummy TVs on) then you'll see plenty of very large rabbits. Not sure why they chose that variety, but even when it was difficult to judge scale (how big is a Teletubby?) you could tell they were substantial in size.

If you've ever had cause to watch the first five minutes of Teletubbies (I would get bored when they turned their tummy TVs on) then you'll see plenty of very large rabbits. Not sure why they chose that variety, but even when it was difficult to judge scale (how big is a Teletubby?) you could tell they were substantial in size.

From the internet, I googled how tall are teletubbies?

"Po, the smallest, is 6 ft. 6 in., while Tinky Winky looms around 10 ft. tall. This makes for a costume that weighs more than 30 lbs. And if the performers, who see and breathe through the mouth holes, keep their heads on too long, there is a danger of carbon-dioxide buildup.Jun 24, 2001"

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,139593,00.html

I would then suggest that if these figures are correct the rabbits would be anywhere up to 4 feet tall should they be standing on their hind legs, that's up there with that giant Chinese rabbit or Darius from the Daily, it must be true, Mail

The women is quite strong she is apparantly holding Darius up with one hand or has caught him in mid leap.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-faces-competition-giant-rival-son-Jeff.html

274CB6DA00000578-0-image-a-14_1428261912416.jpg

Massive rabbits indeed.

Tinky Winky was ten feet tall?!!! That's Godzilla dimensions! Kind of inappropriately named, wasn't he? Anyway, yeah, giant bunnies, I guess that proves it - I think the woman is holding the beast with two hands and you can't see the right one due to rabbit massiveness.

There are some very large breeds of rabbit. I've seen some huge ones at country shows.
The one I saw was with other rabbits and was considerably larger and also was the common variety with the white tail .
Admittedly it was only a fleeting view, only 3 or 4 seconds but that was a damn big rabbit.

Back