Giant Rat Costume Hauled From Mexican Sewer

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 01.13.54.jpg

A drainage cleaning project in Mexico City took a bizarre turn when workers unearthed a giant rat costume that was unsettlingly similar to a real rodent. The nightmarish piece of debris was reportedly part of a massive haul of 22 tons of garbage that had been fished out of the city's drainage system in an effort to alleviate a flooding problem which has plagued the community over the last few weeks due to heavy rain. As one might imagine, the enormous 'rat' constituted quite the clog and spawned something of a mystery as far as where it came from and how it got in the drain.

Article Concluded With Details of the Owner:
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-giant-rat-pulled-from-mexico-city-drainage-system/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... And the image(s) will be spewed all over social media as fear-fodder and pseudo-cryptozoological-proof in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just imagine that first moment when you see it, not knowing it is a costume. You think you're facing down a 7 foot rat from the sewers.

I'm kind of hoping they will also discover 4 turtle costumes down there.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Just imagine that first moment when you see it, not knowing it is a costume. You think you're facing down a 7 foot rat from the sewers.
The sewer would be right place for my reaction to seeing it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

It's scarily realistic.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
View attachment 30006

A drainage cleaning project in Mexico City took a bizarre turn when workers unearthed a giant rat costume that was unsettlingly similar to a real rodent. The nightmarish piece of debris was reportedly part of a massive haul of 22 tons of garbage that had been fished out of the city's drainage system in an effort to alleviate a flooding problem which has plagued the community over the last few weeks due to heavy rain. As one might imagine, the enormous 'rat' constituted quite the clog and spawned something of a mystery as far as where it came from and how it got in the drain.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-giant-rat-pulled-from-mexico-city-drainage-system/
I used to be married to that.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Nah, nobody believes anything caught on film anymore.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
View attachment 30006

The owner of that costume must be a special kind of furry.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean exactly by costumes??? :D
Speaking of costumes ...

I'm not sure the Mexico rat figure is a 'costume' in the Halloween sense. I suspect it's a 'gigante' figure - an oversized character figure carried at parades and festivals. There's a long Spanish tradition of religious / mythical gigante figures being paraded on holidays. These range from huge heads carried by costumed actor-participants to large static figures carried or rolled through the streets by someone hidden inside to huge marionettes suspended from construction-style vehicles. I suspect the rat may have been an example of the second / middle format.

This would help explain why it was light enough to be washed away in a flood years ago ...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of costumes ...

I'm not sure the Mexico rat figure is a 'costume' in the Halloween sense. I suspect it's a 'gigante' figure - an oversized character figure carried at parades and festivals. There's a long Spanish tradition of religious / mythical gigante figures being paraded on holidays. These range from huge heads carried by costumed actor-participants to large static figures carried or rolled through the streets by someone hidden inside to huge marionettes suspended from construction-style vehicles. I suspect the rat may have been an example of the second / middle format.

This would help explain why it was light enough to be washed away in a flood years ago ...
I noticed in either the video or the Spanish-language news source (which I didn't link to) that the 'costume' was hollow.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
I noticed in either the video or the Spanish-language news source (which I didn't link to) that the 'costume' was hollow.
I find this screenshot very reassuring....
Screenshot_2020-09-24-06-37-13.png

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A figure that size would have to be hollow. Otherwise it wouldn't be portable.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Could be an abandoned film prop - does anyone know of a Mexican horror movie involving a giant sewer rat.
Benji ?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Could be an abandoned film prop - does anyone know of a Mexican horror movie involving a giant sewer rat.
Now I'm imagining a giant rat in combat with heroic masked wrestler Santo.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
View attachment 30006

So that's where I left it...