• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Rat Costume Hauled From Mexican Sewer

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 01.13.54.jpg

A drainage cleaning project in Mexico City took a bizarre turn when workers unearthed a giant rat costume that was unsettlingly similar to a real rodent. The nightmarish piece of debris was reportedly part of a massive haul of 22 tons of garbage that had been fished out of the city's drainage system in an effort to alleviate a flooding problem which has plagued the community over the last few weeks due to heavy rain. As one might imagine, the enormous 'rat' constituted quite the clog and spawned something of a mystery as far as where it came from and how it got in the drain.

Article Concluded With Details of the Owner:
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-giant-rat-pulled-from-mexico-city-drainage-system/

Just imagine that first moment when you see it, not knowing it is a costume. You think you're facing down a 7 foot rat from the sewers.

I'm kind of hoping they will also discover 4 turtle costumes down there.

Just imagine that first moment when you see it, not knowing it is a costume. You think you're facing down a 7 foot rat from the sewers.

I'm kind of hoping they will also discover 4 turtle costumes down there.
It's scarily realistic.

View attachment 30006

A drainage cleaning project in Mexico City took a bizarre turn when workers unearthed a giant rat costume that was unsettlingly similar to a real rodent. The nightmarish piece of debris was reportedly part of a massive haul of 22 tons of garbage that had been fished out of the city's drainage system in an effort to alleviate a flooding problem which has plagued the community over the last few weeks due to heavy rain. As one might imagine, the enormous 'rat' constituted quite the clog and spawned something of a mystery as far as where it came from and how it got in the drain.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-giant-rat-pulled-from-mexico-city-drainage-system/
I used to be married to that.

View attachment 30006

The owner of that costume must be a special kind of furry.

What do you mean exactly by costumes??? :D

Speaking of costumes ...

I'm not sure the Mexico rat figure is a 'costume' in the Halloween sense. I suspect it's a 'gigante' figure - an oversized character figure carried at parades and festivals. There's a long Spanish tradition of religious / mythical gigante figures being paraded on holidays. These range from huge heads carried by costumed actor-participants to large static figures carried or rolled through the streets by someone hidden inside to huge marionettes suspended from construction-style vehicles. I suspect the rat may have been an example of the second / middle format.

This would help explain why it was light enough to be washed away in a flood years ago ...

Speaking of costumes ...

I'm not sure the Mexico rat figure is a 'costume' in the Halloween sense. I suspect it's a 'gigante' figure - an oversized character figure carried at parades and festivals. There's a long Spanish tradition of religious / mythical gigante figures being paraded on holidays. These range from huge heads carried by costumed actor-participants to large static figures carried or rolled through the streets by someone hidden inside to huge marionettes suspended from construction-style vehicles. I suspect the rat may have been an example of the second / middle format.

This would help explain why it was light enough to be washed away in a flood years ago ...

I noticed in either the video or the Spanish-language news source (which I didn't link to) that the 'costume' was hollow.

I noticed in either the video or the Spanish-language news source (which I didn't link to) that the 'costume' was hollow.
A figure that size would have to be hollow. Otherwise it wouldn't be portable.

Could be an abandoned film prop - does anyone know of a Mexican horror movie involving a giant sewer rat.
Benji ?

View attachment 30006

So that's where I left it...

Back