• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Shark Cryptid?

Actually crocodiles are much. much more dangerous than sharks. The indo-pacific croc reaches around 9 meters and the Nile crocodile around 7-7.5 meters. A big croc bites down with a force of 5000lbs compared to a great white's 400lb and they can chase you onto land. In a croc / shark scrap my money would be on the croc.

lordmongrove said:
Actually crocodiles are much. much more dangerous than sharks. The indo-pacific croc reaches around 9 meters and the Nile crocodile around 7-7.5 meters. A big croc bites down with a force of 5000lbs compared to a great white's 400lb and they can chase you onto land. In a croc / shark scrap my money would be on the croc.

A while back there was a TV series on Animal Planet called Animal Face-off whre they put various animals in to digital combat after running various tests on armour / weapons.

In the Salt water croc vs Great White the shark won. Admitidly the shark played off the crocs inability to breathe under water.

Vedio on link

Mythbuster had a go at testing out if running in a zig zag stops crocs chasing you on land and couldn't get a result because none of the crocs or aligators they tried would chase anything on land. They'd do the classic shooting out of the water attack which would do in just about anything, but once out of the water they weren't fussed.

I still wouldn't fancy standing too close to one. Probably in the wild they get a lot more hungry and desperate than it would be ethical to make them in captivity, maybe then they'd go for it.

lordmongrove said:

I'd love to see a fight between a GWS and Saltwater croc.

oldrover said:
There are plenty of great whites in the Med

Yeh, I've read reports of sightings. That is why I rarely go deeper than knee depth in the Med just in case!

The Telegraph has some very disturbing news. Great Whites could - it seems - select their victims by race!

South Africa hires extra shark spotters to stop World Cup football fans from being attacked
Published: 7:00AM GMT 20 Mar 2010

Patrols have been strengthened along South Africa's coastline amid fears Great Whites could target foreign tourists during the event.

A spokesman for Sharks Board, Harry Mbambo, said: "There is often a lot of shark activity around South Africa and we were concerned for the safety of foreign football fans who come here for the World Cup.

"We have taken extraordinary action to increase our shark security and to ensure that bathers are kept safe from harm."

Several people are attacked by sharks every year along South Africa's coastline.

Many of the incidents happen in or around Durban, which lies in the country's subtropical KwaZulu-Natal province.

The Sharks Board will also increase the number of its safety lectures at its centre.

Around 450,000 foreign fans are expected to visit South Africa during the World Cup, which kicks off on June 11.

Many are expected to visit the country's seaside cities including Durban, whose subtropical climate should offer warm days even though the tournament is being held in South Africa's winter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... acked.html

I'm visualising a shaven headed beer-bellied yob splashing in the shallows shouting "Cahm ahn then, ooo are ya!?" at a shark which is making off with his arm! :lol:

I am reminded of an antebellum French hunter along the lower regions of the Mississippi, who was assured by his hosts that 'gators were not particularly dangerous to white men, but would hunt down and devour blacks. It was not clear to me, reading from the book he wrote about his experiences, whether he was being messed with or whether his informants believed it. It sounds like a great cover for an escaping slave, though.

As a matter of fact, sharks don't like to eat humans - we're too bony. The trouble is that by the time they've tested us with their teeth and spat us out, they've usually severed a limb or an artery or something else vital.

George Monbiot accuses Discovery Channel of faking photos. The very thought! :shock:
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...hannel-giant-shark-documentary-george-monbiot

Did Discovery Channel fake the image in its giant shark documentary?

Image showing Megalodon swimming past U-boats off Cape Town was doctored. Come clean, or prove me wrong

George-Monbiot-blog-Megalodon_zpsafffd426.jpg

Image purporting to show a giant shark swimming past German submarines.
Photograph: Sharkzilla/Discovery Channel

The suspicion that the Discovery Channel had abandoned its professed editorial standards was a powerful one. As I mentioned in my earlier blog, its documentary claiming that the giant shark Carchardon megalodon still exists contained images which gave a strong impression of being faked; reports of incidents which don't appear to have happened; and interviews with "marine biologists" no one has been able to trace.

But allegations of fakery are very hard to prove. As you know, absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence. Just because no one has been able to find the news reports the Megalodon show claims to have found, or any record of the deaths of four people in an attack by a giant shark off South Africa last year, or any trace of the suspiciously handsome experts it used to confirm its thesis doesn't prove definitively that all of them are inventions, even though it's hard to see how they could not be.

And pointing out that a photograph the "documentary" used to make its case looks like a really bad CGI cobblers in which just about everything is wrong isn't quite the same as being able to state categorically that it's a fraud.

So to test my suspicions I offered a small reward – a signed copy of my latest book – to the first person who could find an original copy of another image Discovery used, which purported to show a Megalodon swimming past two U-boats off Cape Town.

It was the perfect cable channel conjunction: Nazi U-boats and a rediscovered extinct sea monster all in one frame. How clever they were to have found such an image, which, though utterly astounding, had remained unnoticed for 70 years!

Apart from the minor quibbles that no U-boats of this class are known to have been close to South Africa on the given date, that everything about the shark fins looks wrong, that at 64 feet between the dorsal fin and the tail this monster was twice the size even of the actual creature (which every expert on Earth, except the two mysterious "marine biologists" in the film, believe became extinct about 2 million years ago), and that the great beast creates neither bow wave nor wake, there were other reasons to be a little suspicious.

As one of my correspondents points out: "The swastika up the top is ludicrous so I won't bother mentioning that. The photograph is toned sepia. This is ridiculous as it required a separate pigment in a process that was used to make the photograph look warmer and 'nicer' for family photographs. It required more effort that developing in black and white. Photographs coming as sepia as standard is simply another myth created for entertainment."

So there's powerful evidence that this image had been doctored, but again it doesn't quite amount to proof. Until now.

Before I wrote the article I conducted an image search, and found nothing. Now I know why. It wasn't a still picture. A sharp-eyed reader found the frame in some footage of U-boats on Tarrif.net. The footage was shot in the Atlantic. Take a look 12 seconds in.

It's the same shot. But guess what? No shark. And no swastika. And not off Cape Town. Or anywhere near.

I wrote to the company handling media inquiries, putting it to them that the production company which made the film, Pilgrim Studios, doctored the image and misled the audience. I have not heard back from them.

Here's Discovery's mission statement:

How many people now believe it's living up to these ideals?

Monbiot.com
So, anybody seen that picture before, outside of Discovery Channel?

Who says it's a megalodon? There are other large creatures with fins like that.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
George Monbiot accuses Discovery Channel of faking photos. The very thought! :shock:
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...hannel-giant-shark-documentary-george-monbiot

Did Discovery Channel fake the image in its giant shark documentary?

Image showing Megalodon swimming past U-boats off Cape Town was doctored. Come clean, or prove me wrong

George-Monbiot-blog-Megalodon_zpsafffd426.jpg

Image purporting to show a giant shark swimming past German submarines.
Photograph: Sharkzilla/Discovery Channel

The suspicion that the Discovery Channel had abandoned its professed editorial standards was a powerful one. As I mentioned in my earlier blog, its documentary claiming that the giant shark Carchardon megalodon still exists contained images which gave a strong impression of being faked; reports of incidents which don't appear to have happened; and interviews with "marine biologists" no one has been able to trace.

But allegations of fakery are very hard to prove. As you know, absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence. Just because no one has been able to find the news reports the Megalodon show claims to have found, or any record of the deaths of four people in an attack by a giant shark off South Africa last year, or any trace of the suspiciously handsome experts it used to confirm its thesis doesn't prove definitively that all of them are inventions, even though it's hard to see how they could not be.

And pointing out that a photograph the "documentary" used to make its case looks like a really bad CGI cobblers in which just about everything is wrong isn't quite the same as being able to state categorically that it's a fraud.

So to test my suspicions I offered a small reward – a signed copy of my latest book – to the first person who could find an original copy of another image Discovery used, which purported to show a Megalodon swimming past two U-boats off Cape Town.

It was the perfect cable channel conjunction: Nazi U-boats and a rediscovered extinct sea monster all in one frame. How clever they were to have found such an image, which, though utterly astounding, had remained unnoticed for 70 years!

Apart from the minor quibbles that no U-boats of this class are known to have been close to South Africa on the given date, that everything about the shark fins looks wrong, that at 64 feet between the dorsal fin and the tail this monster was twice the size even of the actual creature (which every expert on Earth, except the two mysterious "marine biologists" in the film, believe became extinct about 2 million years ago), and that the great beast creates neither bow wave nor wake, there were other reasons to be a little suspicious.

As one of my correspondents points out: "The swastika up the top is ludicrous so I won't bother mentioning that. The photograph is toned sepia. This is ridiculous as it required a separate pigment in a process that was used to make the photograph look warmer and 'nicer' for family photographs. It required more effort that developing in black and white. Photographs coming as sepia as standard is simply another myth created for entertainment."

So there's powerful evidence that this image had been doctored, but again it doesn't quite amount to proof. Until now.

Before I wrote the article I conducted an image search, and found nothing. Now I know why. It wasn't a still picture. A sharp-eyed reader found the frame in some footage of U-boats on Tarrif.net. The footage was shot in the Atlantic. Take a look 12 seconds in.

It's the same shot. But guess what? No shark. And no swastika. And not off Cape Town. Or anywhere near.

I wrote to the company handling media inquiries, putting it to them that the production company which made the film, Pilgrim Studios, doctored the image and misled the audience. I have not heard back from them.

Here's Discovery's mission statement:

How many people now believe it's living up to these ideals?

Monbiot.com
So, anybody seen that picture before, outside of Discovery Channel?

So not Megalodon, but more Megal-con?!?

From what I gather that doctored photo was first presented in a Discovery Channel 'Shark Week' program the first week of August 2013.

Most accounts (blogs, etc.) copying the photo at that time refer to the program as 'fictionalized', 'mockumentary', etc.

Anyway ...

A wide open Google image search with an ending date of 1 August 2013 produces no examples of that photo.

Descovery made an hour long 'documentory' on modern day Megladon's. It was 100% made up, utter fiction. It pisses me off they can waste christ knows how much money on this when it would be better used to look for credible cryptids like thylacine, orang-pendek and giant anaconda.

Descovery made an hour long 'documentory' on modern day Megladon's. It was 100% made up, utter fiction.

I had the misfortune to catch 5 minutes of another of their "mockumentaries" on mermaids a few weeks ago. Complete tripe.

It does look like a fake, but why a lefty attention whore thinks he's an authority on it I cannot say.

Ah yes, George Monbiot. Memorable for his proposal a few years ago that the elderly with spare bedrooms should be forced have people billeted with them and, more recently, his defence of British Jihadis heading to Syria.

Bit of a zombie thread resurrection here, but just came across this pic on that Twitter machine:

BfPYbZjIMAEdhPy.jpg

Supposedly a megalodon behind a u-boat in the Atlantic War.

Never saw it before, can anyone cast an light on it?

A

That photo seems to have originated with an August 2013 Discovery Channel program, and it is quite possibly a fake constructed using a frame from footage of u-boats far from South Africa.

For more, check the February 2014 posts in the Megalodon thread:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1819

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/megalodon.1819/

... And check these other February 2014 postings elsewhere:

https://ksj.mit.edu/tracker/2014/02/dec ... hannel-fa/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/21/54328 ... ge-monbiot

... to review the case made for the photo being a fake.

Last edited:
OK, probably fake but it's a lovely picture.

Which way are the submariners facing? Because IF they were facing it and IF it was real, that's a well kept wartime secret.

Where is the photographer standing?

Suspected it was a bit too good to be true.

Cheers guys.

A

Ascalon said:
UPDATE: Here we go...

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/15-ton- ... -pakistan/

giant-shark-460x307.jpg

What do we thing Forteans?

A

I thing we should take note of the website that story is on and its disclaimer:

World News Daily Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within worldnewsdailyreport.com are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction.

Indeed, this does appear to be complete, utter and indeed unmitigated bollocks.

Well, pooh.

A

The one shot showing proper perspective, with someone standing in front of the head doesn't look nearly big enough. Or anything like the head of the shark in the photo above.

Looks like a Great White to me, too.

Back