• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Squid (Architeuthis)

This was specifically one of the giant squid (giant, colossal etc) - it was on a programme.

I can't remember the details
I see, the big buggers are more dodgy then? .. OK thanks. It's a shame though .... I'd love to have eaten giant squid.

I've just found better footage of that Japanese giant squid to scale with people in the back ground. It's beautiful ... I take it back, I don't want to eat one now ..

Last edited:
Those missing subtitles:

"Hayeee! We can't eat it! Too tough! Very nasty eating!"
"No doubt result of radioactive leakage! Let us leave it alone!"
"You go in there, Buraddo Pitto, see if we can rescue any pleasure."
"I can't properly shag it, I'm encased in rubber!"
"Lovely, you enjoy it well!"
"Tell him, when he's finished, turn it into hula-hoops!"
"Mummy, I want the quill. Gimme the quill!"

Granted, my Japanese - learned from the movies - isn't exactly fluent. o_O

Remember kids. A Giant Squid isn't just for Christmas.
Although I could go along with a squiddy themed Xmas in 2016.

I have long desired a glass squid ornament for the tree. Not cutesy.

I was reading Arthur C. Clarke's book Chronicles Of The Strange And Mysterious last night (CN 5923 1987 edition) and found this snippet on page 104 ..

"Some new light has also been thrown on the giant squid (genus Architeuthis). These creatures of the deep apparently cannot survive long in warm waters because their blood will not transport oxygen efficiently at more than 10 degrees C. So if you ever met one on the surface in tropical waters (vide the chapter "Squid" in Moby Dick), it is almost certainly dying. I would suggest that not event the most ardent conservationist attempt mouth-to-beak resuscitation."

Perhaps that was the cause of the recent sighting in Japan?.

Have you ever seen one in your sailing Ryn?

School-Bus-Size Giant Squid May Be Lurking Deep in the Sea

... Ever since giant squid were discovered, there has been considerable speculation as to how large they can get. In a previous analysis of more than 130 specimens, scientists said that none exceeded 42 feet (13 meters) in length. Suggesting that giant squid could grow larger was "a disservice to science," they said.

Still, prior studies estimated that hundreds of thousands of giant squid may live in the ocean, which would suggest that there are plenty of chances for giant squid to grow larger than previously suggested, said Charles Paxton, a fisheries ecologist and statistician at the University of St Andrews in Scotland.

Now, a statistical analysis from Paxtonsuggests that giant squid may plausibly reach 65 feet (20 m) in total length. This new study extrapolated the maximum sizes this species might reach by both examining a variety of categories of data and examining as much data taken directly from specimens of the creature as was available. ...

... Paxton detailed his findings online May 17 in the Journal of Zoology.

SOURCE: http://www.livescience.com/54870-giant-squid-may-be-school-bus-size.html
SEE ALSO: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jzo.12347/full

Reactions: Jim
The specemin cast ashore on Thimble Tickle Bay (love that name) in the 1870s was about 60 feet long in total with a 20 footm mantle.

Reactions: Jim
19ft giant squid caught in Irish waters
First known recording of giant squid was in 1673 near Aran Islands

about 5 hours ago by Majella O'Sullivan

A giant squid caught off the southwest coast this week is only the sixth documented Irish sighting of the elusive marine creature on record.

The squid, measuring 5.8 metres (19 feet), is the first seen in Irish waters in 22 years. The first known recording of a giant squid was in 1673 near the Aran Islands.

The latest find was caught in a trawling net on Monday by fisherman Pete Flannery, skipper of the Cú na Mara, near the Porcupine Basin – 190km off the Kerry coast.

Mr Flannery’s father, Michael, caught two giant squids off the Kerry coast in 1995, the last time one was caught in Irish waters.

The squid was brought to Dingle’s Oceanworld Aquarium and from there will be sent to the Natural History Museum.

“The total records from Ireland show there was one caught west of the Aran Islands and two in Kerry in 1995,” Aquarium director Kevin Flannery said. “Records show the first sighting of a giant squid was on October 3rd, 1673. The next wasn’t until 1875 in Inisbofin and then there were three in 1995. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/19ft-giant-squid-caught-in-irish-waters-1.3085491

Back