• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giants: Nephilim, Rephaim, Biblical Allusions

... This fault line in the Religious Right was on full display Monday on a web-exclusive edition of Sky Watch TV, an evangelical broadcast. Tim Alberino, the producer of Steve Quayle’s new documentary about Giants and the Vatican, The Unholy See, was on to babble about giants, and the stated topic of the half-hour show is the documentary’s assertion that the Vatican is masterminding a cover-up of giants in order to suppress the “truth” about the antediluvian world of Genesis 6, when the Nephilim were on the Earth.

In clips from the documentary, Quayle claims that the Vatican and its agents have known about giants “for centuries.” “The Vatican knows all the secrets,” he said.

His claims of a cover-up are prima facie ridiculous. Not only did a number of the Church Fathers write about giants, but Catholics across Renaissance Europe were convinced that they were on the trail of Giants, both among the fossils dug up in Western Europe and among the Native Americans they encountered during the exploration of the New World. Catholic prelates (Antoine Augustin Calmet among them) composed treatises on Giants, and actively supplied the Holy See with so-called “Giant” fossils for the Popes’ collections. Peter Martyr d’Anghiera, a chaplain to their Catholic Majesties in Spain, wrote an honest-to-goodness letter to Pope Adrian VI informing him of the discovery of a “Giant” in New Spain: “A short time after your Holiness had departed for Rome, the licentiate Allyón, one of the jurisconsults of the Hispaniola Senate, bought this thigh bone to the city of Victoria. This I had in my house for some days: From the knot of the hip to the knee it is five spans long, and proportionate in accordance with its great length” (Decades 5.9, my trans.).

So why does Quayle believe in a conspiracy against facts? “The Vatican is secretly preparing for the arrival of alien saviors,” he said. “Only the truth can prepare us for the [Catholic] lie that’s coming.” The subtext is clear: Catholics aren’t real Christians and are in league with Fallen Angels and demons that Quayle believes masquerade as space aliens. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/p...nti-catholic-agenda-in-sky-watch-tv-broadcast

... This fault line in the Religious Right was on full display Monday on a web-exclusive edition of Sky Watch TV, an evangelical broadcast. Tim Alberino, the producer of Steve Quayle’s new documentary about Giants and the Vatican, The Unholy See, was on to babble about giants, and the stated topic of the half-hour show is the documentary’s assertion that the Vatican is masterminding a cover-up of giants in order to suppress the “truth” about the antediluvian world of Genesis 6, when the Nephilim were on the Earth.

In clips from the documentary, Quayle claims that the Vatican and its agents have known about giants “for centuries.” “The Vatican knows all the secrets,” he said.

His claims of a cover-up are prima facie ridiculous. Not only did a number of the Church Fathers write about giants, but Catholics across Renaissance Europe were convinced that they were on the trail of Giants, both among the fossils dug up in Western Europe and among the Native Americans they encountered during the exploration of the New World. Catholic prelates (Antoine Augustin Calmet among them) composed treatises on Giants, and actively supplied the Holy See with so-called “Giant” fossils for the Popes’ collections. Peter Martyr d’Anghiera, a chaplain to their Catholic Majesties in Spain, wrote an honest-to-goodness letter to Pope Adrian VI informing him of the discovery of a “Giant” in New Spain: “A short time after your Holiness had departed for Rome, the licentiate Allyón, one of the jurisconsults of the Hispaniola Senate, bought this thigh bone to the city of Victoria. This I had in my house for some days: From the knot of the hip to the knee it is five spans long, and proportionate in accordance with its great length” (Decades 5.9, my trans.).

So why does Quayle believe in a conspiracy against facts? “The Vatican is secretly preparing for the arrival of alien saviors,” he said. “Only the truth can prepare us for the [Catholic] lie that’s coming.” The subtext is clear: Catholics aren’t real Christians and are in league with Fallen Angels and demons that Quayle believes masquerade as space aliens. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/p...nti-catholic-agenda-in-sky-watch-tv-broadcast

Steve Quayle is back.

Steve Quayle Claims Fallen Angels Will Return Soon to Kill Us All
11/13/2019
8 Comments

This week, Nephilim hunter and Christian bigot Steve Quayle visited the Evangelical extremist broadcaster SkyWatch.tv to discuss UFOs, cataclysms, and giants, as well as the True Legends conference he held in America’s conservative entertainment capital, Branson, Mo., a few weeks ago. The True Legends conference builds on Quayle’s True Legends brand of Christian Ancient Aliens knockoff products, which like much of the Christian entertainment market involves copying something secular, adding sanctimony and hypocrisy, and reducing the quality by 40-50%. Things got off to a great start when Quayle told viewers that he believes that we live in a holographic universe dominated by demons who have created a “hell-ographic” world, and that UFO disclosure is imminent because Satan is using demon-driven flying saucers to undermine believe in Nephilim giants. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/steve-quayle-claims-fallen-angels-will-return-soon-to-kill-us-all#

More Nephilim nonsense.

Faking a Massachusetts Nephilim Giant: A Case of Deceptive Editing
1/29/2020

Today I’d like to direct you to Rebecca Bradley’s excellent blog post dissecting Ancient Aliens talking head Andrew Collins’s fanciful claims about the Densiovans as civilization-bestowing Bible giants. Her analysis is clear and compelling and shows just how badly Collins misrepresents scientific data in order to develop a fake narrative of a prehistoric empire of overgrown wizard-sages. “Every source that Collins referenced in this paper was either misrepresented, misunderstood, or mangled at the outset,” Bradley concludes, and she has the evidence to prove it.

The example she provides from 2014 that I found most hilarious is also the one that demonstrates the shallowness of Collins’s understanding and the superficial nature of his research. Indeed, I was so confounded by it that I became interested in tracking down how Collins went so wrong. Spoiler alert: He’s lazy.

Here is Bradley’s takedown of Collins’s bad research:

Collins’ “giant skeleton found in Middleboro, Massachusetts, with ‘a double row of teeth in each jaw’” (Weston 1906:400) turns out to be that of an 17th-century settler named Mr. Richmond, “a man of gigantic stature, bold and fearless…and much feared by the Indians.” When his bones were later dug up in the course of roadworks, his thigh-bone measured 4” longer than normal, and he had “a double row of teeth in each jaw” – but with his European ancestry, he could hardly be regarded as a Denisovan hybrid or psychic shaman. It is hard to believe that Collins checked the primary source that he cites.
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/faking-a-massachusetts-nephilim-giant-a-case-of-deceptive-editing

Last edited by a moderator:
Collins’ “giant skeleton found in Middleboro, Massachusetts, with ‘a double row of teeth in each jaw’” (Weston 1906:400) turns out to be that of an 17th-century settler named Mr. Richmond, “a man of gigantic stature, bold and fearless…and much feared by the Indians.” When his bones were later dug up in the course of roadworks, his thigh-bone measured 4” longer than normal, and he had “a double row of teeth in each jaw” –
Mr. Richmond sounds of interest by himself.​

Last edited:
Steve Quayle is back.

Steve Quayle Claims Fallen Angels Will Return Soon to Kill Us All
11/13/2019
8 Comments

This week, Nephilim hunter and Christian bigot Steve Quayle visited the Evangelical extremist broadcaster SkyWatch.tv to discuss UFOs, cataclysms, and giants, as well as the True Legends conference he held in America’s conservative entertainment capital, Branson, Mo., a few weeks ago. The True Legends conference builds on Quayle’s True Legends brand of Christian Ancient Aliens knockoff products, which like much of the Christian entertainment market involves copying something secular, adding sanctimony and hypocrisy, and reducing the quality by 40-50%. Things got off to a great start when Quayle told viewers that he believes that we live in a holographic universe dominated by demons who have created a “hell-ographic” world, and that UFO disclosure is imminent because Satan is using demon-driven flying saucers to undermine believe in Nephilim giants. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/steve-quayle-claims-fallen-angels-will-return-soon-to-kill-us-all#

This is incredibly ludicrous. Do people believe this hypocrisy of science. I mean he's spun devil(s), giants and flying saucers all into a single belief system, fricken crazy.

Mr. Richmond sounds of interest by himself.

There are multiple genealogical references online that document the Richmond family (families?) associated with the Plymouth Colony and surrounding areas. I found one (possibly two - they're confusing ...) John / Jonathan Richmonds in the right area and timeframe.

Some miscellaneous comments, in case anyone wishes to dig into this ...

These hits indicated Jonathan Richmond had multiple brothers, any one of which might have been the alleged giant. I find it odd that the legendary giant was simply called "Mr. Richmond", when the Richmond family is otherwise well documented. As such I also find it odd the brother relationship is stated as coming from "tradition" rather than from any formal record(s). This makes me wonder if the giant may have been a non-family member (e.g., an indentured servant or even a Negro slave*).

* Yes, there were Negro slaves owned by the more affluent Plymouth (etc.) colonists in Massachusetts.

The settlement's name was spelled "Middleborough" in the 17th century, but it's most commonly listed as the later / shorter "Middleboro" name it's had for quite some time.

The historical text mentions this Mr. Richmond had been in Middleborough since before King Philip's War (1675 - 1678). Middleborough was evacuated by the settlers and destroyed by the Native American adversaries during this war. The settlers' side eventually won the war with the aid of the Mohegans and Pequots.

This makes me wonder whether "Mr. Richmond" may have been a Native American who elected to live / work with Jonathan Richmond's family. I bring this up because the unusually tall stature and double row of teeth were attributes commonly mentioned for Native Americans farther to the west (e.g., in the Ohio River Valley).

Finally ... The double row of teeth isn't uncommon, and it still occurs to this day as a result of second teeth erupting without displacing the earlier "baby teeth."

...This makes me wonder whether "Mr. Richmond" may have been a Native American who elected to live / work with Jonathan Richmond's family. I bring this up because the unusually tall stature and double row of teeth were attributes commonly mentioned for Native Americans farther to the west (e.g., in the Ohio River Valley)......

I like the way you think!

Me, I was wondering t'other day if ancient interactions between Gigantopithecus hominids and Homo erectus proto-humans (which may have happened as recently as 100,000 years ago) have been passed down as stories of giants amongst the human race. A folk memory aeons old, which then gets written down in the creation stories section of the Old Testament.

What do you fine fellows think?

[I'm a Christian, but Mr Quayle's claims are utter nut-job territory IMO. I have no problem with the concept that God created the universe in a timescale not comprehendible to our minds, and evolution occurs]

McMaster University link to dating research: https://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/html/opr/media/main/NewsReleases/2005/NR_rink.html

Last edited:
Regarding a double row of teeth - my son had these! - 'shark teeth' the dentist called them - pretty cool to look at! He had to get his baby teeth extracted as they were showing absolutely no sign of falling out!

... Me, I was wondering t'other day if ancient interactions between Gigantopithecus hominids and Homo erectus proto-humans (which may have happened as recently as 100,000 years ago) have been passed down as stories of giants amongst the human race. A folk memory aeons old, which then gets written down in the creation stories section of the Old Testament.
What do you fine fellows think? ...

Unless the derivation of lore / myths / tales involved considerable exaggeration and distortion (admittedly always a strong possibility) I tend to see less and less chance for a connection between Gigantopithecus and lore relating to (pre-)historic human or humanoid giants as time goes on. Here are some reasons why ...

First, we don't really know how big a Gigantopithecus may have been overall. The fossil evidence is limited to massive teeth and similarly massive mandibles. All claims for body size are speculative extrapolations from this narrow set of fossils. All we really know is that Gigantopithecus had a big mouth well configured for herbivore browsing. Speculative reconstruction of an entire organism from one body part or area is risky, and paleontologists have been fooled before.

... Obviously, the use of dental size as a predictor of body mass in fossil primates is problematic because dental size varies considerably within any body size class for a variety of functional and phylogenetic factors (Delson et al., 2000). Nevertheless, one might make a reasonable case from what is known about its anatomy that G. blacki was likely to have been a relatively megadont hominoid, and that any body mass prediction based on molar size will probably represent an overestimation. Without postcranial remains it is simply not possible to obtain a reliable estimate of the body mass for G. blacki ...
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ajpa.23150

Second, over the decades the general conceptualization of Gigantopithecus has changed. Years ago it was treated and touted as a hominin in our (human) branch of the primate family tree. Nowadays it is confidently treated as a hominid within the orangutan branch of the primate family tree. In other words, Gigantopithecus is a great ape and not a human ancestor.

Third, it's now believed that if previous extrapolations of Gigantopithecus' overall size were correct this hominid would have been physically challenged by its own mass and unlikely to have done much beyond sedately browsing large quantities of plant material.

Fourth, the revised status for Gigantopithecus means it is unlikely to have acted or appeared as a super-sized human / hominin at all.

Finally, Gigantopithecus' known range covers extreme southeast Asia and India, including Indonesia. One might well question whether tales of a gigantic human in the East could have migrated westward in time to serve as the basis for ancient myths and lore in (e.g.) Mesopotamia.

Ah well, I'll keep wondering on :)

Back