• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giants (Non-Biblical): Mythical, Legendary & Historical

A

Anonymous

There is a theory that such legends of "giants" might date back to (presumably pre-ice age) human coexistance with Gigantopithecus. Similarly legends of dwarves, goblins etc could date back to human coexistence with smaller hominid species such as Australopithecus.

The maximum recorded height for a human is nearly 9 ft I think but I believe he died at something like 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something that provides food for thought is tracking down references to Patagonian giants reported back by the first explorers. It seems extremely unlikely that the Patagonian diet was so good that the indigenous people were dramatically taller than Europeans based on nutrition alone - that being the sceptical explanation.

The Masai are known for their height and they seem to subsist on a diet of milk and blood.

I still think the Patagonian Giants are worthy of further investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagon

They are dismissed as a myth or hoax because no-one has actually found a skeleton, but I don't see what purpose the hoax would serve. Has anyone ever systematically looked for traces of these people?

The Patagonian giants were seen by several early explorers. Unless these early explorers were midgets I have a problem seeing them all as hoaxters. Have you ever read "Forbidden Archeology by Thompson. The unabridged copy will give details of this and many other "swept under the rug" discoveries. I wasn't disputing ramonmercad's post.

I still think the Patagonian Giants are worthy of further investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagon

They are dismissed as a myth or hoax because no-one has actually found a skeleton, but I don't see what purpose the hoax would serve. Has anyone ever systematically looked for traces of these people?

Also they're anatomically impossible, at least at the sort of sizes in that link.

Also they're anatomically impossible, at least at the sort of sizes in that link.
I would expect some exaggeration of size. But since (for the Patagonians) we don't have a skeleton or an illustration, how can we assume they are just large humans instead of some other branch of the hominids?

PORTLAND, Ore. — A former Sweet Home city council member has gone viral after posting a video to TikTok claiming that he spotted a mythical giant in the Cascade foothills of Linn County on Oct. 23.

In the video, Sweet Home resident James Goble said that he was traveling along Quartzville Drive near the Green Peter Reservoir when saw a distinct rock formation open like a “door.” Peeking from behind the “door,” was a giant, the former government official said. The mountain “door” allegedly closed back up before he filmed the video about the sighting, which received more than 5 million views before he took the video down.

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/gi...oes-viral-for-mythical-sighting-claim-tiktok/

He's since made additional videos at the site with ridiculous claims, and entertaining ideas from wacky commenters. But not once does he go up to the door and get in close up. He discusses he found caves and paths. None of this is very unusual, but people who understand nothing about how geology and erosion works are grabbing attention with ludicrous claims. He even says that other people have seen similar mysterious things and people with special computers are studying the footage and he's been told to keep quite. Typical nonsense for attention. This is volcanic area - it's going to have weird landscapes.
Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 6.26.55 PM.png

PORTLAND, Ore. — A former Sweet Home city council member has gone viral after posting a video to TikTok claiming that he spotted a mythical giant in the Cascade foothills of Linn County on Oct. 23.

In the video, Sweet Home resident James Goble said that he was traveling along Quartzville Drive near the Green Peter Reservoir when saw a distinct rock formation open like a “door.” Peeking from behind the “door,” was a giant, the former government official said. The mountain “door” allegedly closed back up before he filmed the video about the sighting, which received more than 5 million views before he took the video down.

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/gi...oes-viral-for-mythical-sighting-claim-tiktok/

He's since made additional videos at the site with ridiculous claims, and entertaining ideas from wacky commenters. But not once does he go up to the door and get in close up. He discusses he found caves and paths. None of this is very unusual, but people who understand nothing about how geology and erosion works are grabbing attention with ludicrous claims. He even says that other people have seen similar mysterious things and people with special computers are studying the footage and he's been told to keep quite. Typical nonsense for attention. This is volcanic area - it's going to have weird landscapes.
View attachment 71341
The story is not available in my country unfortunately but I love the "door". Is that an undoctored natural feature? It is very cool.

Back