• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Given Time Travel, Where & When Would You Want To Travel?

I would travel about 5000 years into the future.

If humanity has attained a Star Trek future, then that would be a great civilization in which to live.

If godlike AIs rule, then it would be fascinating to sit and learn at the feet of the Archailects.

If all I find is a ruined wasteland, then I would at least know that there's no harm in squandering my resources.

Yep. Another vote here for travel to the future, although 5,000 years is a bit much.
For starters, the language would be as incomprehensible to us as Proto-Indo-European is today.
Rather like in the classic 1960 movie version of The Time Machine, I'd like to ease into the future in small steps of maybe 25 years or so at a time and see at what point my current house no longer exists. I'd watch with interest how fashion, personal transportation, tastes in music and gastronomy change etc. Reckon I'd pull the lever to all-stop after around three centuries. I should just about be able to cope with the evolved language, although my English would sound rather Shakespearean to these future folk and I'd busy myself studying all scientific (especially astronomical) discoveries.
That's if it's not all a ruined wasteland of course!

I would use the time machine to travel to places in order to see birds or bird quantities that have been lost.

My list includes:-
-US to see the Passenger Pigeon, the Ivory Billed Woodpecker and the Eskimo Curlew.
-The North Atlantic to see the Great Auk.
-Mauritius, Rèunion and Rodriguez to see the various Dodos, Solitaires and many other birds thereof.
-A beach (unfortunately unnamed) on the east coast of Scotland in the 1930s to see a 25 minute flock of Knots described by Brian Vesey-Fitzgerald. This was a flock so huge that it took 25 minutes to pass by. We have nothing like that number now.
-New Zealand a few hundred years ago to see Giant and other Moas and Haast's Eagle, the largest raptor that ever lived.

That will do to start with. If I could only pick one I think it would have to be the Passenger Pigeon. Flocks of birds so vast they darkened the sky for days on end. Incredible.
Would you then bring back a healthy breeding stock of all above mentioned birds?

Would you then bring back a healthy breeding stock of all above mentioned birds?
No because although there are a few conservation successes around, we only keep destroying more habitat. If we can't keep the birds that are somehow still clinging to life then why bring back the ones we have already killed off? To have another go at killing them again? I don't believe it is ethical.

Back