• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Glas Ghu Stone

many_angled_one

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.megaliths.co.uk/glasghu.htm

The Glas Ghu (Glasgow) Stone in the Kelvingrove Museum was found in Blue Bell Wood near the mouth of the Clyde River and represents the geodetic astronomical Hyades and Pleiades, i.e Taurus. This stone gave Glasgow its name, since Mesopotamian and Indo-European Ghu- was Taurus (see Richard Hinckley Allen, Star Names).

Also represented by cupmarks on the across side of the stone are the three front stars of Scorpio, which are on the other side of the heavens from Taurus. The interlocked whorls in the middle (these are not the same as isolated whorls on other stones or megaliths) mark the line of the solstices which are crossed by the line of the equinoxes, and might use the same system as at the Clava Cairns. The stone can be calculated to date to ca. 3117 BC by these markings.

Now I've seen this stone in person (incidently is is a bloddy BIG stone) and arrangement of the carving is certainly not random. I'm not sure that I agree with http://www.megaliths.co.uk and their "decryption" of it I think it may be a case of seeing patterns that are not there, although their conclusions look accurate.

I was just wondering what my fellow Forteans think about the pattern on it?

I like the 3117 BC dating( :) )

of course that is an estimate
give or take two thousand years perhaps

the Hyades, the Pleiades and the scorpion's head(?)
(presumably Acrab. Dschubba and Pi Scorpii)
all seem to be at different scales to me
which makes them useless as indicators

bonkers mate

They also found Scotlands only Paleolithic tool. Anyone who has studied the stone age in Scotland will know that the first settlers are quite obviously the Mesolithic. The reason being the fact that Scotland was covered by ice when Britains first settlers began to tramp southern England. England has some nice official Paleolithic remains while Scotland has none......well....one!

It is possible that there was people here long before the ice and that the glaciers (miles deep!) destroyed all remains. It is also possible that the tool was simply brought to kelvinside in the intervening years between the mesolithic and the day it was found. The mesolithic tribes may have possessed their own antiquities. Although, the tool is paleolithic, it may have belonged to the mesolithic or neolithic of Scotland.

Alternatively, we should also be looking at the sea floor of the English channel and the North sea, whose form presented a land bridge to the ancient peoples. The likelyhood is that the landbridge, being fertile and traversable itself should be looked at as useful and arable home-building ground rather than simply being a bridge to more useful land in ancient Britain. It was all land and we call it a bridge because we know what it became. They would not have refered to it as a bridge. They may have called it "the low countries" but not a "bridge" to a better place. It would take years for whole cultures to slowly move into the newly ice free and mountainous territory to the west. Individuals would have managed it in a couple of days..............

Wonderful stuff

Yes, This Megaliths site goes on and on!
Even the southern hemisphere stars are represented, of course.
Brilliant!
All 3117 BC, all bonkers.
Is there a name for this pattern recognition thing,
mapping features from a star map to an Ordnance survey, for instance?
It seems to be a common pursuit-
even Hancock does it
harmless fun

Much like the Lay Lines you can find patterns everywhere that can correlate to something else, I could find a pattern of waste dumps that resembles a star map or something..... still the pattern on the stone in question does not strike me as being merely for decoration, it looks like it may have had some purpose, even if it was just place markers to put your sacrifices, like an alter, or perhaps a worktop for dying clothing, places you put your little dye pots etc, or for embossing leather or something. I dont know what.

Not sure if the pattern recognistion thing has a specific name though.

Back