Global Warming & Climate Change: Humans' Reactions & Responses

KenOwl

Fresh Blood
A fair few young kids are saying this virus is a great thing as it will kill everyone off. This generation is seriously messed up - but who's to blame?
Out of interest, where are 'young kids' saying that? How many are? Any examples? Nobody is to b!ame. The current younger generation are no worse or better than yours.

Every cloud ...

Farmers in subarctic regions of northern Canada have started growing wheat for the first time as climate change warms new land for crops.

Steadily rising Canadian temperatures have been greeted with alarm by scientists, who are concerned that thawing permafrost could release greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere and further accelerate global warming.

It has also presented opportunities for farmers in the Northwest Territories and in parts of Newfoundland and Labrador.

“The snow season is shrinking,” Sylvain Charlebois, director of the Agri-Food Analytics Lab at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, said. “Before it was there until the first day of May. It’s now disappearing early in April.”

Though climate change had caused problems for farmers in southern Canada, “up north it’s absolutely changing the landscape”, he said. “Growing conditions have changed dramatically. There have been some groups who have looked at it as an opportunity.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...n-the-not-so-frozen-north-of-canada-hjfl3gvcc

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Out of interest, where are 'young kids' saying that? How many are? Any examples? Nobody is to b!ame. The current younger generation are no worse or better than yours.
It was on Reddit, a place which strangely embodies some of the best and some of the worst of the Internet. I went to find a link, but the once-trending threads have since been removed, probably as they're pretty distasteful.

Story covering the issue while 'live' here:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/morbi...-meme-only-makes-millennials-seem-more-awful/

I don't know. I've been as hard on today's youngsters as anybody, but the best of the past couple of generations are every bit as remarkable as those of mine, my parents' and my grandparents'.

The worst of them are probably just products of a worse society, not because of any inherent flaw in their characters.

I don't claim society 'worse' in every respect (definitely not), but it seems a lot worse at being a society, that is an organic, coherent thing that binds all these humans together and forges links between them that transcend the economic. One used to speak of unfortunate or benighted individuals 'falling through the cracks', but it would make more sense today to say that they weren't able to reach one of the various islands that have been gradually floating away from one another for decades.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Not saying that in the slightest if anything my generation is more to blame with putting up with and voting in stupid governments who have stripped various health services around the world/ ignored climate change.

I can't give out details but I've as good as heard it myself. Remember there are a lot of kids out there with mood disorders, suicidal ideation who see this as another reason to opt-out of life. I totally understand this having grown up in the 1980's where it was either death by AIDS or death by the bomb. If you survived the bomb the Nuclear Winter would finish everything off anyway.

We came through that and will come through this. Kids are often understandably the most pessimistic of all people.

Last edited: