• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: Humans' Reactions & Responses

And on a practical level, How long before the areas devastated by fire in America and Australia in particular are re-grown to be able to do their job of absorbing Carbon Dioxide and generating oxygen ?

A whole sector of the carbon sink has been removed,

Ultimately the problem for the world - assuming no breakthrough in interplanetary travel - will be to decide what balance between 'a pleasant life' and unlimited breeding we find acceptable. Few people are remotely prepared to consider the difficult decisions involved in that issue.

Certainly no politicians or policy makers who wish to keep their jobs.

And on a practical level, How long before the areas devastated by fire in America and Australia in particular are re-grown to be able to do their job of absorbing Carbon Dioxide and generating oxygen ?

A whole sector of the carbon sink has been removed,
True, but as far as Australia is concerned it is the evolution of the native trees that results in the serious fires - it's good for the trees if nothing else. A gum tree is basically an incendiary device.

True, but as far as Australia is concerned it is the evolution of the native trees that results in the serious fires - it's good for the trees if nothing else. A gum tree is basically an incendiary device.

As are olive trees in the Mediterranean regions.

Another aspect is, once the burnt areas begin to recover, will they be populated by the same bio diversity ?

If certain, say rodents,were being kept in check by animals that have been wiped out beyond a chance of quick recovery, how will the new mix of animals look ?

It should also be pointed out that the actual real scientists (who I disagree with from the opposite perspective) don't support her either.
http://europeanpost.co/500-scientists-dismiss-greta-thunberg-there-is-no-climate-emergency/.
http://europeanpost.co/500-scientists-dismiss-greta-thunberg-there-is-no-climate-emergency/

Sorry - I'm not gonna let you get away with insinuating this represents a compelling formal statement from a notably large number of "scientists."

It should be further pointed out that this European Post item refers to a letter dated 23 September 2019 - a letter submitted to the UN body reporting on climate change issues at the time and identifying a total of only 14 signatories.

https://clintel.nl/brief-clintel-aan-vn-baas-guterres/

The "500" attribution pertains to the affiliates of the climate change denial group issuing this letter - a group founded by the lead signatory, Guus Berkhout:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guus_Berkhout

... who is a Dutch engineer whose career has been spent in the petroleum industry.

Even if one presumes there were 500 "scientists" who'd approved, much less "signed" this letter, there's a problem of proportionality. Berkhout claims to have rallied some 500 to support his letter.

This pales beside the 11,000 who definitely signed a different letter issued earlier this month:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/world/climate-emergency-scientists-warning-intl-trnd/index.html
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article/doi/10.1093/biosci/biz088/5610806

.. and the 16,000 who signed a similar warning letter issued in 2017:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/health/scientists-warn-humanity/index.html

As a result, even if Berkhout's claim of 500 signatories is true, the cadre for which he speaks equates to no more than 4.5% (or less) of the number of scientists who've signed letters attesting to the opposite conclusion.

You won't find this link on Google, of course.

If this absence were specific to this article it might be interesting. However, it turns out ...

You won't find any links to European Post articles in Google.

European Post originated as a Twitter enterprise, and it now operates as a for-profit print magazine. For whatever reason, its management has obviously blocked any scanning / indexing by Google.

Whatever. Fact is, climate science relies on highly dubious statistical analysis , which , as it happens IS my my speciality. For which I have at times been very highly paid, but because I would not twist the results to what the 'opinion formers', wanted, I am no longer someone they want to know.

So the climateologists can trot out whatever they like, but I - for once , I am never normally this dogmatic - know they are making unwarranted assumptions regarding CO2.

Edit -didn't mean it to sound personal, have modified.

Last edited:

Forensically kebabbed here:

Short version?

a) The “letter” is a four-page .pdf containing no new research, and dumbed-down charts suitable for tabloid hacks.

b) “Alliance of World Scientists” is a one-page homemade website set up by one man in Oregon University.

c) The “Alliance of World Scientists” is the 11,000 people who have been induced to “click “Like” “ on (a).

d) Among the august signatories are such eminent academics as Albus Dumbledore and “Professor Micky Mouse of the Micky Mouse Institute for the Blind, Namibia.”

e) Here is the .pdf on the Oxford University Press website, clearly labelled as “Viewpoint”.

l’m leaving my central heating on, ta.

maximus otter

Last edited:
These lies need to be blown apart. Get to the truth.

These lies need to be blown apart. Get to the truth.

That's the point ...

The discussions and pronouncements getting all the attention are about cosmetics / appearances / personalities / advocacy agitprop.

Vapid declarations and recourse to alleged popularity / supporters / own-crowd size are the norm. It's all about the factions rather than the facts.

These things pertain to gaming the public rah-rah discourse about matters at issue rather than the matters themselves.

Heh!

An Italian regional council based on Venice’s Grand Canal was flooded for the first time in history this week – just moments after it rejected measures to combat climate change.

The council chamber in Ferro Fini Palace started to take in water late on Tuesday night as councillors were debating the 2020 regional budget. Democratic Party councilor Andrea Zanoni said: “Ironically, the chamber was flooded two minutes after the majority League, Brothers of Italy, and Forza Italia parties rejected our amendments to tackle climate change.”

Among the rejected amendments were measures to fund renewable sources, to replace diesel buses with “more efficient and less polluting ones,” to scrap polluting stoves and reduce the impact of plastics, he said.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...on-climate-change/14/11/#.Xc3ytVdeuK0.twitter

(Transplanted from the Greta Thunberg thread)

We fkd up the planet and she’s pissed off. But of course you know that’s her message.
You just don’t wanna hear it.
That’s why you attack the messenger instead.
Myself I could care less. I have no progeny and very little lifetime left. Your progeny’s fate is your problem not mine.

In what way have we fucked up the planet? It seems to be doing just fine. It's on an interstice between ice age and normal warm that has occurred something like 8 times in the planet';s geological history. It is possible the ice age may have a last kick, or if we are genuinely on the way out we are heading back to normal warm. We are at an alarmingly low CO2 level for the benefit of the planet's vegetable matter, but that is easily curable if we continue to liberate the stuff from the coal measures.

Go on, disprove my argument, having respect to the geological record as opposed to the febrile imagination of climate scientists and self-hating loons.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, Cochise, the hockey stick ! Don't forget the hockey stick.

The 'Hockey Stick' ignores actual evidence such as the medieval warm period and the mini ice age. Consider it not.

The “Hockey Stick” is, according to the MIT Technology Review, “an artifact of poor mathematics”.

For page after page of other skewerings, simply Google “hockey stick debunked”.

maximus otter
It is in fact a poor application of statistics, used deliberately to create a desired outcome. A means of lying with statistics.
I am staggered that no respected statisticians have come forward to point this out. Guess they don't want to be called 'climate change deniers'.

It is in fact a poor application of statistics, used deliberately to create a desired outcome. A means of lying with statistics.
I am staggered that no respected statisticians have come forward to point this out. Guess they don't want to be called 'climate change deniers'.

Perhaps they are correct and you are wrong ?

I can see why the hockey stick is used. It depicts change from the beginning of the industrial revolution (more or less) and it's intent is to show that , for this period, the changes have been out of line with previous cyclical changes.

The logic behind it is faultless. One can only argue the accuracy due to differences in method in data collection.

Perhaps they are correct and you are wrong ?

I can see why the hockey stick is used. It depicts change from the beginning of the industrial revolution (more or less) and it's intent is to show that , for this period, the changes have been out of line with previous cyclical changes.

The logic behind it is faultless. One can only argue the accuracy due to differences in method in data collection.
A much bigger dataset should have been used to create a more accurate picture.
The period they chose was cherry-picked.

Bzzzttt! Does not compute! Unable to process concept of 'being wrong'.

HAL, the Mythopoeika experiment has gone rogue. beginning to claim Godlike powers; switch it off.

Sorry Dave, I can't do that.

A much bigger dataset should have been used to create a more accurate picture.
The period they chose was cherry-picked.

If by that you mean the beginning of the industrial period onwards, then that is all they need to compare with the previous records. It is this period that is of interest.

Anyway, the data is still there and can be re-evaluated.

If by that you mean the beginning of the industrial period onwards, then that is all they need to compare with the previous records. It is this period that is of interest.
...In order to produce a certain outcome? Ignoring previous periods of warming and cooling?
I'll continue this no further, haven't got the time.

Interesting conversation with Professor Happer:

"Policing the Extinction Rebellion protests has cost Scotland Yard £37million so far this year and has caused other investigations to be closed down.

Police recovered 80 tonnes of equipment, including tents and toilets, that will go to landfill."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...on-cost-37m-police-led-investigations-closed/

maximus otter

What gives with Extinction Rebellion and electric vehicles?

They glue themselves to the Lib-Dems' electric campaign bus and have been trashing electric scooters in France (where car burning season seems to have started again):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-held-in-france-with-strikes-set-to-continue

Back