Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
A drought, equal to the worst to have hit the western US in recorded history, is already under way, say scientists.

Researchers say the megadrought is a naturally occurring event that started in the year 2000 and is still ongoing.

Climate change, though, is having a major impact with rising temperatures making the drought more severe.

Some researchers are more cautious, saying that it is too early to say if the region really is seeing a true megadrought.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52312260

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
During this weekend last year, when weather conditions were extremely favourable (much like they have been for the past 3 weeks here), we had a number of "Extinction Rebellion" events taking place around the streets of London, and other major cities, in which a number of people (mainly dreadlocked bongo players et al) were super-gluing themselves to vehicles/shop windows/lamp-posts etc.
They even managed to rock-up in the centre of Oxford Street with a large pink yacht and park it in the middle of the main intersection (which I'm still not sure how the police allowed that to happen, surely they should've been stopped en route and questioned over WTF they thought they were doing???)
I can't imagine much of that going on this weekend...............

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
And IIRC some fella protesting by climbing on the roof of an underground train (was it Clerkenwell, or Cannon Street?) got dragged down by commuters and given a severe thrashing.
That's how we do things here.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
During this weekend last year, when weather conditions were extremely favourable (much like they have been for the past 3 weeks here), we had a number of "Extinction Rebellion" events taking place around the streets of London, and other major cities, in which a number of people (mainly dreadlocked bongo players et al) were super-gluing themselves to vehicles/shop windows/lamp-posts etc.
They even managed to rock-up in the centre of Oxford Street with a large pink yacht and park it in the middle of the main intersection (which I'm still not sure how the police allowed that to happen, surely they should've been stopped en route and questioned over WTF they thought they were doing???)
I can't imagine much of that going on this weekend...............
I'm surprised they are not super gluing themself's to hospitals in protest of all the single use plastics they are using at this time.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Wasn't XR who put it up, though. The twitter acct claiming to be XREastMidlands has been suspended.

Extinction Rebellion (XR) has condemned a "fake account" which claimed coronavirus was a "cure" for global warming.

Twitter account XREastMidlands posted images of a sticker reading: "Corona is the cure. Humans are the disease".

The accompanying post said "air and water was clearing" since many went into lockdown.

Extinction Rebellion said the message was "in no way a representation" of its principles and values.

It said: "This account is not managed by Extinction Rebellion UK or Extinction Rebellion East Midlands, and these messages are and so are not the movement.

"We are investigating this now."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52039662

https://fullfact.org/online/extinction-rebellion-sticker-coronavirus/

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Easy to say, after the response it received was noted.

Did they also disclaim the XR group that forced an ambulance to reroute?

maximus otter
Not that I'm aware. They did, however, clarify procedure and stated that ambulances with blue lights flashing would be allowed to pass.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware. They did, however, clarify procedure and stated that ambulances with blue lights flashing would be allowed to pass.
How kind of them, to let that crumb fall from their table.

I believe that they flew a kite with that poster and, when the response was understandably negative, they retreated behind a cloud of ink. That's the good thing about being an...activist...group: everything's deniable because nothing's official. If it works, the group takes the credit; if it doesn't, well, "Look over there: a bunny!"

"Victory has a hundred fathers, but defeat is an orphan."

Galeazzo Ciano

maximus otter

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Billions projected to suffer nearly unlivable heat in 2070

In just 50 years, 2 billion to 3.5 billion people, mostly the poor who can't afford air conditioning, will be living in a climate that historically has been too hot to handle, a new study said.

With every 1.8 degree increase in global average annual temperature from man-made climate change, about a billion or so people will end up in areas too warm day-in, day-out to be habitable without cooling technology, according to ecologist Marten Scheffer of Wageningen University in the Netherlands, co-author of the study.

How many people will end up at risk depends on how much heat-trapping carbon dioxide emissions are reduced and how fast the world population grows.

[...]

But even scenarios considered more likely and less severe, project that in 50 years a couple of billion people will be living in places too hot without air conditioning, the study said.

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-billions-unlivable.amp

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
How did people manage in past interglacials?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
How did people manage in past interglacials?

They conserved water, they conserved energy, They utilised the early mornings and late evenings, and rested during the majority of the day. They encouraged prey with firestick agriculture and with watersources, and they sourced pretty much all forms of protein.

They organised their society so that social taboos prevented excess pregnancies and organised specific food for specific tiers of their immediate society according to their dietary needs.

They nomadically travelled a country to gain benefit from climate patterns and edible flora - they became almost completely conversant with the opportunities and adverse conditions of their territory.

They'd leave us for dead.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
They conserved water, they conserved energy, They utilised the early mornings and late evenings, and rested during the majority of the day. They encouraged prey with firestick agriculture and with watersources, and they sourced pretty much all forms of protein.

They organised their society so that social taboos prevented excess pregnancies and organised specific food for specific tiers of their immediate society according to their dietary needs.

They nomadically travelled a country to gain benefit from climate patterns and edible flora - they became almost completely conversant with the opportunities and adverse conditions of their territory.

They'd leave us for dead.
And there weren't almost 8 billion of them.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So, we are getting back to Malthus again. What is new?

But, Mungoman, you are right, people did adapt.

This is one thing I have learned in Archaeology, -folk live in harsh environments...and often the harsher, the keener they are to be there.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
So, we are getting back to Malthus again. What is new?

But, Mungoman, you are right, people did adapt.

This is one thing I have learned in Archaeology, -folk live in harsh environments...and often the harsher, the keener they are to be there.

True Kondoru - Who, on Gods Earth would want to live in the arctic circle with hide tents in summer and ice constructions in winter?

Interestingly enough, the thought has just occurred to me that I do prefer the heat of the Australian Bush where It is not uncommon to work outside in temperatures of 55 (130) degrees in summer - rather than the temperate climes of the Central Eastern coast and hinterland.

We are a weird mob Kondoru.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
It's an ill wind ...

Beavers gnawing away at the permafrost
The large rodents are massively changing landscapes in the Arctic

Date :June 29, 2020

Source: Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research

Summary: Alaska's beavers are profiting from climate change, and spreading rapidly. In just a few years' time, they have not only expanded into many tundra regions where they'd never been seen before; they're also building more and more dams in their new homes, creating a host of new water bodies.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200629202009.htm

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Im currently reading a book called `A Mosaic of Islands` by Williamson and Boyd. It was published in 1963.

They are naturalists who speak a lot about global warming.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Im currently reading a book called `A Mosaic of Islands` by Williamson and Boyd. It was published in 1963.

They are naturalists who speak a lot about global warming.
Yes, the warnings are not new. I have a Book of Predictions from 1980, and in the "End of the World" section it predicts global warming will cause utter devastation in about seventy years. Not long to go...

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
During the 19th century a number of different streams of research established first the notion that climate changes, then that its changes might be tied to atmospheric / solar interplay, and finally that prospective changes could be quantified. The "greenhouse effect" label used for global warming phenomena 50 - 60 years ago dates back to the first decade of the 20th century.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought global cooling was all the rage in the 70s?
The idea that climate could also get cooler dates back to the 19th century as well. The original motivation for researching the possibility of climate change was the then-theory that there had once been ice ages.

The resurgence of interest in global cooling in the Seventies had a lot to do with the Cold War and the emergent concept of nuclear winter.