• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

Frankly, i think the biggest harm humans have done is the almost complete destruction of the rainforests, something which is now irreversible.

In effect we have destroyed the planet's lungs, and that has a direct effect on CO2 levels and climate. That would match up with the short term increase in the graph above as well - or indeed instead of - the fossil fuel situation.

Whether an increase in CO2 to promote more vigorous plant growth could partly compensate is speculation, but the densely packed complex and to a large extent uncharted life of the rainforests has gone for ever. And that IS down to us, and the loss is irreplaceable.
When you state it's down to us, in actuality it isn't. It's down to those in power, big business and science. We are at the end of the food chain as it were. Governments worlds wide have had years and years to begin solving all these problems yet all they've done is procrastinate and sided with big business. Electric cars are a perfect example. They are not environmentally friendly except for the no emissions bit, which is the focus, a new market has been created which means more dosh for big business and the public think they are doing their bit to help the planet.

Also, how hard can it be to find industrial scale logging operations in the Amazon? My conclusion is 'they' don't want them found. Want a big wad of cash anyone?

Climate change is natural, but plastic is not and that is what we need to worry about more than climate change. Yes, I think we need better ways of producing energy than burning fossil fuels but the plastic is what is going to kill us, most of it is made from petroleum. There are some people making some decent plastic from plant matter. I don't know if something is done to it when produced to make it indestructible like petroleum plastic but it makes more sense. Farmers who have some disaster and are left unable to sell their crops could sell them to the bio plastic makers. It would be win/win. The change in climate will not happen fast enough to kill us (or if it does, noting we can do about it) before plastic kills us.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190125-the-natural-products-that-could-replace-plastic

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/vegetable-ivory

https://tycoonpackaging.com/9-biodegradable-packaging-materials-that-can-replace-plastic/

https://inhabitat.com/innovative-biomaterials-to-help-the-world-replace-plastic/
Plastic is here to stay unfortunately. It's just used in too many things that we cannot now do without. Yes, you can sit at home with your hemp 'bag for life' but as a comedian once said, it's like turning up to the aftermath of an earthquake with a dustpan and brush.

New Surface Stations Report Released – It’s ‘worse than we thought’

Official NOAA temperature stations produce corrupted data due to purposeful placement in man-made hot spots

Nationwide study follows up widespread corruption and heat biases found at NOAA stations in 2009, and the heat-bias distortion problem is even worse now.

(July 27, 2022) – A new study, Corrupted Climate Stations: The Official U.S. Surface Temperature Record Remains Fatally Flawed, finds approximately 96 percent of U.S. temperature stations used to measure climate change fail to meet what the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) considers to be “acceptable” and uncorrupted placement by its own published standards.

The report, published by The Heartland Institute, was compiled via satellite and in-person survey visits to NOAA weather stations that contribute to the “official” land temperature data in the United States. The research shows that 96% of these stations are corrupted by localized effects of urbanization – producing heat-bias because of their close proximity to asphalt, machinery, and other heat-producing, heat-trapping, or heat-accentuating objects. Placing temperature stations in such locations violates NOAA’s own published standards (see section 3.1 at this link), and strongly undermines the legitimacy and the magnitude of the official consensus on long-term climate warming trends in the United States.

surfacestations-pr-image1.png

“With a 96 percent warm-bias in U.S. temperature measurements, it is impossible to use any statistical methods to derive an accurate climate trend for the U.S.” said Heartland Institute Senior Fellow Anthony Watts, the director of the study. “Data from the stations that have not been corrupted by faulty placement show a rate of warming in the United States reduced by almost half compared to all stations.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/07...ns-report-released-its-worse-than-we-thought/

maxius otter

Plastic is here to stay unfortunately. It's just used in too many things that we cannot now do without. Yes, you can sit at home with your hemp 'bag for life' but as a comedian once said, it's like turning up to the aftermath of an earthquake with a dustpan and brush.
My point was that there are other more benign materials that can be used. Silicone reusable containers are now becoming big business. If Tupperware wanted to survive they would be switching to silicone. And there are alternatives to single use plastic. The problem is single use plastic, not plastic itself. I was talking about pollution from single use plastic, but I didn't use the term 'single use' so you thought I meant we have to get rid of all plastic (still not a bad idea, but I know how entrenched we are)

Goodness me! Every part of the world is warming up faster than the rest!
Something anomalous this lady has spotted:

Or could it just be that headline writers are out of control?

Goodness me! Every part of the world is warming up faster than the rest!
Something anomalous this lady has spotted:

Or could it just be that headline writers are out of control?
I would say, "it's a warmer than usual Summer. . . period!"

As a futuristic green initiative, Saudi Arabia is going to build a huge megacity, called 'The Line'.
It looks like something Syd Mead imagined.

https://www.neom.com/en-us/regions/theline

It's so huge... can anyone envisage the problems? It might be big enough to cause certain weather events or produce its own climate issues.
And not everybody will be wealthy enough to live in this shiny city.

Those sorts of 'mega' projects have been attempted before and either failed because they were just a bad idea to start with, or were some kind of utopian dream that in the minds of the creators were all shiny and nice, but once people started living in them they turned out to be dumb-ass ideas in which the actual usage of them in the real world hadn't been though through properly.

Take 'Thamesmead' for example. It was supposed to be a model development but ended up with poor transport links, 'sick building syndrome' for a lot of the larger blocks, and roads and pavements and alleyways that were poorly lit, dead-ends, and ideal for low-level crime.
Add to that a lot of places with poor accessibility and it quickly became an area that people didn't want to live in.

https://www.iconeye.com/architecture/buildings/a-brief-history-of-brutalist-social-estate-thamesmead

I would say, "it's a warmer than usual Summer. . . period!"
Not where I live, we didn't get over 95 degrees until late June, and now at the beginning of August it has barely hit 90 for the last week. Much more humidity than usual, a little bit more rain. Definitely not hotter this year than usual.

Not where I live, we didn't get over 95 degrees until late June, and now at the beginning of August it has barely hit 90 for the last week. Much more humidity than usual, a little bit more rain. Definitely not hotter this year than usual.
*"It's a warmer than usual Summer," (for England) 'JahaRa!':)

*"It's a warmer than usual Summer," (for England) 'JahaRa!':)
That's different than saying it is a "warmer summer period!" in reaction to a video that claims everywhere is warming up. That implies to me you mean the whole world. Climate change is happening, climate CHANGE, not Global Warming.

That's different than saying it is a "warmer summer period!" in reaction to a video that claims everywhere is warming up. That implies to me you mean the whole world. Climate change is happening, climate CHANGE, not Global Warming.
You read my words wrongly 'JahaRa,' my response is to the fact that it is warmer than our usual Summer that we have in England, I made no reference to the "everywhere is warming up" Global Warming video myself, or to what the Lady said in her video - I just read it, and viewed the video.
I was just stating the fact that here in England, it is hotter than our 'normal' few warm day's. . . as usually we only have the odd couple of day's here-and-there, of warmer day's, then usually it's followed with duller weather - which in this country is normal, however, not this year.:cool:

As a futuristic green initiative, Saudi Arabia is going to build a huge megacity, called 'The Line'.
It looks like something Syd Mead imagined.

https://www.neom.com/en-us/regions/theline

It's so huge... can anyone envisage the problems? It might be big enough to cause certain weather events or produce its own climate issues.
And not everybody will be wealthy enough to live in this shiny city.
It's to do with Claus Schwab and the WEF plans for our future. Everyone will live in high tech hi rise in high tech cities. Build Back Better and all that.

It's to do with Claus Schwab and the WEF plans for our future. Everyone will live in high tech hi rise in high tech cities. Build Back Better and all that.
Imagine all the noise though, 24/7!

You read my words wrongly 'JahaRa,' my response is to the fact that it is warmer than our usual Summer that we have in England, I made no reference to the "everywhere is warming up" Global Warming video myself, or to what the Lady said in her video - I just read it, and viewed the video.
I was just stating the fact that here in England, it is hotter than our 'normal' few warm day's. . . as usually we only have the odd couple of day's here-and-there, of warmer day's, then usually it's followed with duller weather - which in this country is normal, however, not this year.:cool:
But I did not know where you live so I took it to mean "all over".

Have noticed 2 things in the last week or two
Lots of leaves are falling from the trees and the winter geese are back
Maybe winter will arrive early this year it’s global cooling we are doomed, we must have a new cool tax to stop this a new ice age is coming
Remember you heard it first on here.

Maybe winter will arrive early this year it’s global cooling we are doomed, we must have a new cool tax to stop this a new ice age is coming
Global cooling is obviously caused by global warming.

Reactions: RaM
This is interesting - while warming is taking place (just about) there's now clear evidence that the 'we're all gonna burn' scenario is pretty much piffle.

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/08/09...out-rising-u-k-and-global-temperature-claims/

Met Office Must Answer Growing Doubts About Rising U.K. and Global Temperature Claims​

Since 2013, the Met Office has boosted recent global warming by 30%, depressed past measurements and abolished the temperature pause from 1998 to 2012 – this pause is still discernible in the accurate satellite and meteorological balloon record. Using the HadCRUT5 database means the Met Office can claim continuing warming and further heat records. Anthony Watts, the author of the report, titled Corrupted Climate Stations, noted that data from the stations that have not been corrupted by faulty placement, “show a rate of warming in the United States reduced by almost half compared to all stations”. With a 96% warm-bias in U.S. temperature measurements, “it is impossible to use any statistical methods to derive an accurate climate trend for the U.S.”, added Watts. The same can, of course, be argued to apply to all global sets that use the corrupted U.S. data.

It's usual for trees to turn early when it's very dry - that said, the last couple of dawns smelt like autumn and the swallows are gathering on the wires a few week early.

Watch the birdies while you still can; they're fading away.

Bird communities will be lost to various regions around the world by 2080, while species such as blue tits are already changing colour in the past two decades, due to climate change.

Those are the findings of two separate studies on birds by British and European researchers, signalling the acceleration of the biodiversity crisis as the world changes due to human-induced global warming.

Basque and French researchers looked at the two blue tit populations in the south of France and the island of Corsica from 2005 to 2019, finding from nearly 6,000 observations that the bird's signature blue crest and yellow breast has faded.

"Our work suggests that environmental changes, and specifically climate change, could be the main reason why birds such as the blue tit are undergoing a change in their physical features, more specifically in the brightness and intensity of their colouration,” said David López-Idiáquez of the University of the Basque Country.

While colour changes may seem innocuous, the reality is more concerning as it may impact future mating patterns, the research suggested.
"In these birds, traits such as colouring function as signals to indicate to other individuals the quality of the specimen, which are decisive, for example, when it comes to breeding,” Mr López-Idiáquez said.

Increasing temperatures and less rainfall in Corsica over the study period seems to point to climate change, the researchers concluded.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40936628.html

Watch the birdies while you still can; they're fading away.

Bird communities will be lost to various regions around the world by 2080, while species such as blue tits are already changing colour in the past two decades, due to climate change.

Those are the findings of two separate studies on birds by British and European researchers, signalling the acceleration of the biodiversity crisis as the world changes due to human-induced global warming.

Basque and French researchers looked at the two blue tit populations in the south of France and the island of Corsica from 2005 to 2019, finding from nearly 6,000 observations that the bird's signature blue crest and yellow breast has faded.

"Our work suggests that environmental changes, and specifically climate change, could be the main reason why birds such as the blue tit are undergoing a change in their physical features, more specifically in the brightness and intensity of their colouration,” said David López-Idiáquez of the University of the Basque Country.

While colour changes may seem innocuous, the reality is more concerning as it may impact future mating patterns, the research suggested.
"In these birds, traits such as colouring function as signals to indicate to other individuals the quality of the specimen, which are decisive, for example, when it comes to breeding,” Mr López-Idiáquez said.

Increasing temperatures and less rainfall in Corsica over the study period seems to point to climate change, the researchers concluded.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40936628.html
Rather a few weasel words...

Those sorts of 'mega' projects have been attempted before and either failed because they were just a bad idea to start with, or were some kind of utopian dream that in the minds of the creators were all shiny and nice, but once people started living in them they turned out to be dumb-ass ideas in which the actual usage of them in the real world hadn't been though through properly.

Take 'Thamesmead' for example. It was supposed to be a model development but ended up with poor transport links, 'sick building syndrome' for a lot of the larger blocks, and roads and pavements and alleyways that were poorly lit, dead-ends, and ideal for low-level crime.
Add to that a lot of places with poor accessibility and it quickly became an area that people didn't want to live in.

https://www.iconeye.com/architecture/buildings/a-brief-history-of-brutalist-social-estate-thamesmead
"The area was former marshland. It had been flooded by the North Sea inundation in 1953, and remained vulnerable to future floods. The original design therefore placed the accommodation on the first floor, leaving the ground floor for garage space. There were also elevated escape routes that residents could use in the event of flooding."

Our local studies librarian was asked to photograph the site before any building took place. He said that he had to wear special gear because it hadn't been decontaminated at that stage and the little silver pools he saw in some places were mercury. The site was once part of, or very near Woolwich arsenal and the mercury from the mercury fulminate used in explosives had leached into the ground and hadn't been cleared then. I'm not sure how true that was or how extensive but it may be why they didn't want rooms at ground level.

"We want to build some houses"
"Sure....over there is fine.....on the contaminated wasteland that used to be a munitions factory and is susceptible to major tidal flooding..."

"We want to build some houses"
"Sure....over there is fine.....on the contaminated wasteland that used to be a munitions factory and is susceptible to major tidal flooding..."
"That's OK. We were only going to build crap houses anyway."

Back