• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

I've watched quite a few of Antons films. He is always very well informed, and informative, and has a way of putting across quite hard-to-understand subjects in a manner which is easy to take in.

Ancient man was framed, climate change killed off the wooly rhinos.

Rather than getting wiped out by Ice Age hunters, woolly rhinos charged to extinction in Siberia around 14,000 years ago when the climate turned warm and wet, a study of ancient DNA suggests.

Numbers of breeding woolly rhinos stayed relatively constant for tens of thousands of years until at least about 18,500 years ago, more than 13,000 years after people first reached northeastern Siberia, scientists report online August 13 in Current Biology. Yet only a few thousand years later, woolly rhinos died out, probably because temperatures had risen enough to reshape arctic habitats.

These findings build on a previous argument, based on dated fossils, that woolly rhino populations across northern Eurasia began to decline between 40,000 and 35,000 years ago, with surviving animals moving progressively eastward and dying out in northeastern Siberia around 14,000 years ago. Reasons for initial population losses are unclear, though there’s little evidence that human hunters killed substantial numbers of woolly rhinos, the researchers say. ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/woolly-rhinos-extinction-climate-change

Scientists who explained incredibly complex climate changes get a Nobel Prize:
News story

If I was half as smart as these guys, I... still wouldn't be able to understand the whole science behind this, but thank goodness they did what they did. A bit of lateral thinking and boom! Even more to think about.

Happy fall or I should say a continuation of “ summer “.

So far this month of October the temperatures have been way above normal.

These hot temperatures have screwed the leaves from changing the way they are supposed to change.

Happy fall or I should say a continuation of “ summer “.

So far this month of October the temperatures have been way above normal.

These hot temperatures have screwed the leaves from changing the way they are supposed to change.

I can't speak for where you are, but Scotland needs twice the amount of rainfall it has at the moment to get water reserves up to normal. Also, most of the trees are full of green leaves, in October.

You can see it already.

We will have 2 months of winter, then we will have 10 months of summer.

Tell spring and fall goodbye !

I didn't think it had been very warm this summer to be honest. though our grape vine is doing well.

IMG_2462.jpg

The English wine industry will spring back into life!

Tried making wine out of them a few years back
it was crap.

:omr: :puke2:

Not bad at all slightly tarty but had worse from supermarket
we give most away. and to be honest one woman got through
4 bottles of the wine.

It is October but it seems there is no let up of 85 F or about 29 C temperatures.

I remember as a child I would be freezing my butt off in this time of the year.

Halloween would be cold and really tough on trick or treaters in the past.

Yep but in those days we had proper hairy chested pollution, the type
were the birds could land on it, you could not see across the st now
a days with this weak n watery stuff I can see the IOM from the end of
our st 70 odd miles away, it's letting all the Sun through and cooking us.
:omr::sstorm:

Yep but in those days we had proper hairy chested pollution, the type
were the birds could land on it, you could not see across the st now
a days with this weak n watery stuff I can see the IOM from the end of
our st 70 odd miles away, it's letting all the Sun through and cooking us.
:omr::sstorm:
You might actually have a point there.

Reactions: RaM
I can't speak for where you are, but Scotland needs twice the amount of rainfall it has at the moment to get water reserves up to normal. Also, most of the trees are full of green leaves, in October.

That's been the case for several years, some leaves are starting to yellow in late August/early September but there's no significant change until late October/early November.

It is October but it seems there is no let up of 85 F or about 29 C temperatures.

I remember as a child I would be freezing my butt off in this time of the year.

Halloween would be cold and really tough on trick or treaters in the past.

Warm & humid in Dublin yesterday, today is 17 C (62,6 F) but 88% humidity.

The Last Of The Summer Ice.

It started with polar bears.

In 2012, polar bear DNA revealed that the iconic species had faced extinction before, likely during a warm period 130,000 years ago, but had rebounded. For researchers, the discovery led to one burning question: Could polar bears make a comeback again?

Studies like this one have emboldened an ambitious plan to create a refuge where Arctic, ice-dependent species, from polar bears down to microbes, could hunker down and wait out climate change. For this, conservationists are pinning their hopes on a region in the Arctic dubbed the Last Ice Area — where ice that persists all summer long will survive the longest in a warming world.

Here, the Arctic will take its last stand. But how long the Last Ice Area will hold on to its summer sea ice remains unclear. A computer simulation released in September predicts that the Last Ice Area could retain its summer sea ice indefinitely if emissions from fossil fuels don’t warm the planet more than 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, which is the goal set by the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement (SN: 12/12/15). But a recent report by the United Nations found that the climate is set to warm 2.7 degrees Celsius by 2100 under current pledges to reduce emissions, spelling the end of the Arctic’s summer sea ice (SN: 10/26/21). ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/arctic-last-ice-area-climate-change

Salmon else will suffer though.

Climate change is wreaking havoc on Pacific Ocean salmon populations: overheating spawning streams, triggering storms that scour stream beds and droughts that dry them up, and upending food webs in the Pacific.

But a warming world could bring one silver lining, at least for a while. A new computer model shows retreating glaciers in British Columbia and Alaska could open up thousands of kilometers of new river habitat by 2100.

“This study helps quantify what we might see in the future at a time when salmon are struggling,” says Greg Knox, executive director of SkeenaWild Conservation Trust, a salmon conservation nonprofit not involved in the work.

Pacific salmon occupy a wide range off the coast of the western United States and Canada, from southern California up to northern Alaska, and along Russia in the western Pacific Ocean. They require pristine streams with cool, plentiful water to thrive, but habitat destruction has taken a toll. Today, populations are believed to be just 1% to 3% of their historic numbers. Many of the healthiest communities live along the coast of British Columbia up through southeastern Alaska, where thousands of glaciers—vestiges of the last ice age—used to terminate in the Pacific. A lot of those glaciers have been melting away for decades, creating new rivers as the ice recedes. Salmon have been able to move into and spawn in those newly opened rivers in as little as 10 years. ...

https://www.science.org/content/art...oduce-thousands-kilometers-new-salmon-habitat

The Last Of The Summer Ice.

It started with polar bears.

In 2012, polar bear DNA revealed that the iconic species had faced extinction before, likely during a warm period 130,000 years ago, but had rebounded. For researchers, the discovery led to one burning question: Could polar bears make a comeback again?

Studies like this one have emboldened an ambitious plan to create a refuge where Arctic, ice-dependent species, from polar bears down to microbes, could hunker down and wait out climate change. For this, conservationists are pinning their hopes on a region in the Arctic dubbed the Last Ice Area — where ice that persists all summer long will survive the longest in a warming world.

Here, the Arctic will take its last stand. But how long the Last Ice Area will hold on to its summer sea ice remains unclear. A computer simulation released in September predicts that the Last Ice Area could retain its summer sea ice indefinitely if emissions from fossil fuels don’t warm the planet more than 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, which is the goal set by the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement (SN: 12/12/15). But a recent report by the United Nations found that the climate is set to warm 2.7 degrees Celsius by 2100 under current pledges to reduce emissions, spelling the end of the Arctic’s summer sea ice (SN: 10/26/21). ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/arctic-last-ice-area-climate-change

Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'​

By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News
12 December 2007

Scientists in the US have presented one of the most dramatic forecasts yet for the disappearance of Arctic sea ice.

Their latest modelling studies indicate northern polar waters could be ice-free in summers within just 5-6 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7139797.stm

Etc.

maximus otter

Not entirely inaccurate:
Article (from The World Wildlife Fund)

"Polar ice caps are melting as global warming causes climate change. We lose Arctic sea ice at a rate of almost 13% per decade, and over the past 30 years, the oldest and thickest ice in the Arctic has declined by a stunning 95%."

So it may not have gone completely in summer, but there's a lot less of it than there used to be.

He wants an exact date & dammit is going to whinge on until he gets one. Until then, nothing to see.

But.....

By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News
12 December 2007

So, bang up to date then.

Most recently, despite expectation that the 'Northern Sea Route' would be free of ice, like it has for several years, it actually froze over completely, stranding many ships, and is not expected to thaw until spring.
(The first vessel to ever cross this route only did so in 2017, completing a six-and-a-half day journey.)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...-arctic-ice-northern-sea-route-global-warming

But.....

So, bang up to date then.

The point being the headline, where the “experts” predicted that the area would be ice-free by 2013.

We’ve all been going to die in 3/5/8/10/12/whatever years for so long, that it’s all just background noise now.

maximus otter

Aaah right. Indeed, every forecast of doom and gloom does always seem to be posted to happen at some ambiguous date several years off in the future.
I guess really we should be pleased that these predictions have turned out to be incorrect, instead of lambasting them for their doom-mongering.

Back