• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

How the heck do they measure the length of a day to an accuracy of greater than 1.59 milliseconds?

I cannot remember where I read this but I remember reading that evidence was found of a prehistoric fire in the USA that may have burned for hundreds of years
Not only that, there is a town in the US where an underground fire of a coal seam has been burning for ages, and has caused the town and the surrounding area to be deserted.
This Mine Fire Has Been Burning For Over 50 Years

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that a coal seam could have been exposed by a wildfire back in 'prehistory' leading to a fire that continued to burn for hundreds of years.

I remember that 'stubble burning' was a regular thing here all through my childhood and probably well into my 20s.
Farmers would do it and plough the ash back into the ground.
It seems to be a practice that has totally died out.
Probably told that they couldn't because of pollution or some such, despite it being done for hundreds of years.
Burning the stubble cleared the ground of insect pests and viruses, the ash was ploughed in as a fertiliser and the heat pulse caused the weed seeds to germinate before the crop was planted, so they could all be dealt with a single spray of herbicide. However, burning did produce a lot of heat and smoke (I once pass a field where the visibility on the A road was zero).
So stubble-burning was banned 30 years ago, the ground is now not cleared of pests and disease, the ploughed-in stubble sometimes takes more than a year to breakdown and provides an excellent food source for arable slugs. But what would Farmers know ?

Does this signal the death knell for feral Haggis?

Scotland is completely snow-free for the fourth time in the last six years.

The Sphinx, in the Cairngorms, which is historically the longest-lasting patch of snow in the UK, has melted. Snow expert Iain Cameron reported on Friday that the famous patch had disappeared in the last 24 hours. It is the fourth time it has gone in the last six years, having only melted nine times in the past 300 years. Mr Cameron said climate change was a likely factor.

The Sphinx, on remote Braeriach, a 1,296m (4,252ft) Munro, has melted away more frequently in the last 18 years. According to records, it previously melted fully in 1933, 1959, 1996, 2003, 2006, 2017, 2018, 2021 and now 2022. Before 1933, it is thought to have last melted completely in the 1700s.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-63184780

Local man Kaleeraq says: "Ever since 2001 I noticed the winter seasons in Disko Bay didn't have as much ice,"

Climate change: Greenland's culture shifts as Arctic heats up​

Icebergs bigger than city blocks loom through the mist as Kaleeraq Mathaeussen reels in halibut from the frigid waters one by one.

"Each season is not how it used to be," he says. It's become windier and more unpredictable.

More than 250km (155 miles) inside the Arctic Circle, the coastal town of Ilulissat in western Greenland is also a busy port. Kaleeraq has been fishing the waters here since he was 14 years old and, like other locals, has observed changes around him. In winter he used to travel on the ice with a sled pulled by his dogs. But the sea no longer freezes like it used to.

"Ever since 2001 I noticed the winter seasons in Disko Bay didn't have as much ice," he says. I was very worried when I started to notice that the ice barrier was getting weaker and witnessing such an astronomical change in the climate," he explains. "Today it is unpredictable and too dangerous to go fishing with my sled dogs," he explains. He stopped sledding two years ago and now he only fishes by boat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63135211

Also that there is a reduction in the number of dogs being used ..... "Diseases and snowmobiles are partly responsible. Also climate change has had an impact."
I'll bet it's mainly due to snowmobiles though. For the same reasons that we no longer all travel everywhere by horse when cars are much better.

And it's not all bad news.
The same report also contains a quote from a fishing bloke saying that now the fish species they catch are more varied and abundant thanks to the extra biomass being washed into the seas.
And;
"New shipping routes are expected to open up further north. Mining exploration firms have also been drawn to Greenland, anticipating that mineral deposits will become more accessible.
Meanwhile glacial melting is leading to large deposits of sand along the coast, and a recent survey found that three-quarters of residents support extracting and exporting it."

And let us not forget that ice-cores taken from Greenland show the area was not ice covered for huge periods in its past.

Also that there is a reduction in the number of dogs being used ..... "Diseases and snowmobiles are partly responsible. Also climate change has had an impact."
I'll bet it's mainly due to snowmobiles though. For the same reasons that we no longer all travel everywhere by horse when cars are much better.

And it's not all bad news.
The same report also contains a quote from a fishing bloke saying that now the fish species they catch are more varied and abundant thanks to the extra biomass being washed into the seas.
And;
"New shipping routes are expected to open up further north. Mining exploration firms have also been drawn to Greenland, anticipating that mineral deposits will become more accessible.
Meanwhile glacial melting is leading to large deposits of sand along the coast, and a recent survey found that three-quarters of residents support extracting and exporting it."

And let us not forget that ice-cores taken from Greenland show the area was not ice covered for huge periods in its past.
I think it's just going to be more prime real estate coming onto the market.
Some of it may even be used for farming, to feed the masses.

Going to be more like Viking times.

(But this report is from the far north where things are different; I doubt these folk are going to take up farming in a hurry).

(Nor mining; its a land with tight controls on extractive industry).

The mighty Mississippi River is not mighty anymore.

In several places the Mississippi River is only 5 to 10 feet deep causing river boat shipping problems.

55 % of the U.S. is in a drought.

The Mississippi has been lower several times in recorded history.

This from 'Weatherbug'.
Three out of the top five lowest Mississippi River levels in history for Memphis, Tenn., occurred in late summer to early fall. The lowest level, minus-10.7 feet, occurred on July 10, 1988. All of 1987 and the first half of 1988 was very dry along the entirety of the Mississippi Valley. This contributed to the record-low gauge height in Memphis, Tenn.
Completing the top five lowest levels of the Mississippi at Memphis, Tenn., include minus-9.86 feet on September 19, 2012, minus-9.20 feet on January 3, 2000, minus-9.10 feet on January 17, 2001 and minus-8.60 feet on August 30, 2006.

https://www.weatherbug.com/news/Mississippi-River-Not-So-Mighty-in-Memphis

Interesting thoughts about global climate change being caused by changes in solar radiation and planetary alignment:

The lady who is speaking has a PhD in Astrophysics ‘Radiative transfer of solar prominences’.
She points out that temperatures mapped over 120,000 years show that every 2,000-2,100 years, there is a repeating cycle that is remarkably consistent.

Interesting thoughts about global climate change being caused by changes in solar radiation and planetary alignment:

The lady who is speaking has a PhD in Astrophysics ‘Radiative transfer of solar prominences’.
She points out that temperatures mapped over 120,000 years show that every 2,000-2,100 years, there is a repeating cycle that is remarkably consistent.
So it's not all that exhaust from vehicles, nice to know

Wow, that's all news to me and on first glance, it's hard to see anything wrong with her work - better get the house insulated.

Wow, that's all news to me and on first glance, it's hard to see anything wrong with her work - better get the house insulated.
Insulation is a good idea anyway, whichever way the climate swings.

The Olympics announced today that future winter Olympics could be in jeopardy as very few places in the world now have the required snow amounts.

The Olympics refused to name the city for Winter Olympics in 2030 because of global warming.

The Olympics announced today that future winter Olympics could be in jeopardy as very few places in the world now have the required snow amounts.

The Olympics refused to name the city for Winter Olympics in 2030 because of global warming.
They can come here. The snow's all here now.

The Olympics refused to name the city for Winter Olympics in 2030 because of global warming organisers have not yet received a sufficiently large 'bung' from any single country yet .
FTFY
I can think of many places around the world which will definitely have plenty of snow each and every winter until 2030, and beyond.
The problem is that the IOC want to be inclusive of countries that might have certain areas in which they have snow some winters, but not always, which is why we ended up with some of the venues in Beijing/Zhangjiakou at the last Winter Olympics having to have 'fake' snow created for the events, which was, in some cases, also subsequently impacted when actual real snowfall happened, and extremely rare and unseasonable temperatures of -20c were experienced.
The 2026 venue is "Milan-Cortina d'Ampezzo" in the Italian Alps (virtually guaranteed snow) and the 2030 venue has not been decided upon yet but will be either Salt Lake City, United States or Sapporo, Japan (probably dependant upon the aforementioned 'bung').

They can blame 'global warming' all they like, but it's a total crock.

Water news for the US southwest:
Using Israeli technology, the US state of Arizona (and the US Federal government will be involved) and the Mexican state of Sonora (and the Mexican Federal government) will partner in a desalination plant. Depending on how its done, this may be the kiss of death for the rare dolphins and the whales who winter there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...pc=U591&cvid=1e5b356947d44314bf6e9447ea14a48c

Water news for the US southwest:
Using Israeli technology, the US state of Arizona (and the US Federal government will be involved) and the Mexican state of Sonora (and the Mexican Federal government) will partner in a desalination plant. Depending on how its done, this may be the kiss of death for the rare dolphins and the whales who winter there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...pc=U591&cvid=1e5b356947d44314bf6e9447ea14a48c

Whatever the rights or wrongs of this project the involvement of Israeli technology will likely attract the interest of Qanon and their ilk,.

Scientists want to blame this once in a generation cold snap over North America on global warming.

Supposedly warm air flooding into the North Pole disturbed the Polar Vortex pushing the cold air south.

I think simply winter is just winter as there have been cold snaps in the past.

The earth's atmosphere is half (with the oceans being the other half) of the engine that transfers excess heat from the equator to the poles. A higher overall temperature more or less requires greater heat flow in that direction.

Since mass must be conserved, the flow can't be unidirectional: it consists of equal parts warm air (and water) moving poleward, and cold air (and water) moving equatorward. Think for a moment about why both modes represent net heat flow from the equator to the poles.

Thus, it is consistent with a greater overall turnover for more and larger cold outbreaks to occur in mid-latitude winter. I am deeply skeptical about tying any particular event to global warming, however, and statistical anomalies happen in all climate regimes.

It will be interesting to see whether the polar vortex breaks down more often in the near future, or whether the increased heat flow finds other avenues.

NOTE: Edited to remove Northern Hemisphere bias. It's been a while since I gave this talk.

Last edited:
Why e-bikes aren't the solution they appear to be:

Man takes his electric bike out for a ride and it goes up in flames spontaneously.

Back