• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Globetrotting for People with Short Legs (Staying within Own Nation)

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
Sometimes you hear tales that really are `extraordinary accounts of ordinary folk`

For instance, many years ago I knew an old couple whos small house was absolutley jam packed with souvineers from all over the world. I said they must have been around an awful lot, and they told me that was not true, that they had never left the country, and that their globetrotting was done soley by visiting the different ethic areas of London.

I thought this an absolutley marvelous tale and often begged them to write about it. But they said it was of no interest to anyone. (both died a few years back.)

I would like to attempt to recreate their feat (never mind she cant afford to go to London...)

Big World in a Small Country

HA: Its a great idea - Dave Gorman has done more with less ;)

I'd suggest you blog it and get people's interest and ideas coming in.

One idea might be to go through the Yellow Pages (I think the national one is accessible online) and look for obscure restaurants which can get you foot in your door to smaller communities.

Emps

Yes, I do seem to recall thats how they did it.

BTW, do you like my new Avartar? I have been searching for a suitable one for ages.

Homo Aves said:
Yes, I do seem to recall thats how they did it.

BTW, do you like my new Avartar? I have been searching for a suitable one for ages.

Cool - so you have the outlines of a plan already :) I'm sure the good people here will come up with a cunning plan - I was just thinking about it but I suspect just here in Liverpool you could tick quite a few things on your list - China Town (largest in Europe no?) and there are Russian, Thai, Italian, Spanish, variety of 'Indian', etc.

The online Yellow Pages is here:

http://www.yell.co.uk

The avatar? Yep its looking good - what is it? A chunky legged Aztec parrot man beast?

Emps

do it... sounds a great way of meeting people and experienceing UK diversity.

I suppose I `should` show you where I nicked it from....

http://www.parrotpress.co.uk/

It was either that or something from `Gatchaman`(an obscure and pointless anime that every one else has forgotten about despite the fact the japanese dredge it up every two years.)

Thank you for the link

Wonderful books!... one day i will make a book like that..

oh to be rich enough to buy books for their bindings and pictures instead of content!

(my father eyes the buckling 1 inch thick ply shelving with obvious distaste.)

I have some very well bound tomes, plus some good fortean titles. My latest purchase is E Fullers `Extinct Birds` signed.

The Moa will have to deliver it, not the Stephens island Wren, if its anything like his other book (`The Great Auk` in which it is explained why these birds get free seats on Icelandair.) it will be big, heavy and full of pictures.

I also have a dubious habit of ordering in print books from the library, who then have to buy a copy to supply it. (If it wasnt for me they would spend their budget upon Harry potter and DVDS...) Last time it was David Owens `Thylacine` (from australia.)

sidecar_jon said:
do it... sounds a great way of meeting people and experienceing UK diversity.

Great point - we here a lot of whining about Asylum seekers and the rise of the BNP and this would be a ncie way to celebrate the rich contribution people bring to the country :)

Emps

Take it from me, it's not the same thing. Visiting another country is a totally different experience. You can visit all the Indian restaurants and Indian people in the world, but when you're in Delhi or Bombay, you see their 'life', how it is.

Souveneirs merely offer a tiny glimpse of the memories associated with that place.

Sincerely,
Spoilsport.

The Frog said:
Take it from me, it's not the same thing. Visiting another country is a totally different experience. You can visit all the Indian restaurants and Indian people in the world, but when you're in Delhi or Bombay, you see their 'life', how it is.

Souveneirs merely offer a tiny glimpse of the memories associated with that place.

Sincerely,
Spoilsport.

LOL - I'm not sure anyone is suggesting it is a good substitute for travelling just that it might make an interesting project ;)

Emps

What if like me you dont want to go to all that bother of traveling?

(let alone have the money to. once upon a time I might have beeen able to afford it, now that I have a house to support I cant.)

London is stressfull enough, thank you.

I have had several people (including my father who regards a year without three foreign trips as a waste of time) say that I should travel, but I disagree, the whole of society wants to send you to some overrated place...why should I go too?

Back