• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Glowing-Eyed Dogs

I dunno, I've seen loads of dogs with eyes like that, nothing unusual there!

Then again, most of the dogs I know are the mongrels and rejects that my hardcore animal-loving friends adopt so the odd devil-dog wouldn't stand out! ;)

I've not seen orange eyed dogs before so I envy you! .... I could easily imagine them being misidentified as devil dogs in less enlightened times though .. I wonder how light reflects of their eyes in the dark and if that makes them more red looking? .. that would be an interesting experiment I think ..

Swifty said:
We're used to reading about phantom black dogs and their glowing eyes

Also sometimes called "devil dogs" in pop culture, if anyone wants to Google this stuff.

I've just found something cool out .. Cromer's Amazona Zoo is owned by Benji Cabbel Manners, lord of the manor at the splendid gothic Cromer Hall .. I met the guy last year at the zoo without realising who he was, we had a nice chat about his zoo with (who he described as), his "business partners" but who were clearly his wife and son. The Cabbel family and Cromer Hall are famous, we have a Cabbel Road here ... one reason the hall is famous is because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stayed there, heard the legend one evening of the phantom black dog, Black Shuck, and was inspired to write the Sherlock Holmes adventure, The Hound Of The Baskervilles ..

cromer-hall-buxton-home.jpg

... a huge dog's skeleton was unearthed in 2014 at Leiston Abbey in Suffolk prompting some to wonder if it was Shuck's remains ..

abigdog.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...huck-terrorised-16th-century-East-Anglia.html

Last edited:
This was seen at 4 am this morning, filmed from one of the crabbing boats on Cromer beach and is almost certainly a Muntjac deer (I was headbutted by one on my first day living here) although it's rare to see them swimming quite so far out and also rare to see them so close to the busy central area, they mainly hide in the scrub on the cliffs .. the fun thing is it's in the same spot that Black Shuck was said by legend to have tried to abduct a swimming boy in the late 1800's ... so it could be one of Shuck's puppies ! ;)

I hope this link works, the Mrs has just emailed it to me from one of her facebook friends, the woman talking in the video.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/392153494199070?view=permalink&id=1379862088761534

Looked like a deer but what ever it was it was a powerful swimmer.
There's a black dog quite often seen on carr lane Hambleton no glowing eyes
and it accompanies people walking along the path, it's only when they try to
touch it or send it home say when going to cross the road or pet it that it disappears and
they realise it was a ghost, 2 or 3 people have told me they have seen it but I
sadly have not.

Last edited:
sorry Swifty, not for me (no Facebook account)
Me neither (Facebook? over my dead body) but it worked for me in this thread .. the Mrs emailed it to me and I copied and pasted it here .. good luck with it, I don't know how else to post it sorry.

A random Cromer black dog video from Weird Norfolk

I was a bit excited to find this brief piece of new info the other day in a book I'd bought from a car boot sale (The Unexplained - Source Books - Flame Tree Publishing ISBN 1-904041-41-8) :

'THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle based his novel on a true story. In the 17th century, Richard Cabell pursued his wife to a moor in Devon and stabbed her to death. Her loyal hound leapt for his throat and killed him as he stabbed it. This dog is said to haunt the Cabell family to this day.'

I've enjoyed reading the black dog issue of FT but don't remember this snippet of Cabell family murder/lore connection .. could this (alleged) incident be the real birth of our local phantom black dog legend. I'm in a (hopefully) rare position of being able to ask Benjamin Cabell a bit more about this (his wife gave me his mobile number last week because of pillbox stuff in Cromer) although sensitivity obviously would be needed ..

Still .. as we still have Cabell Road and Cabell Football Park in Cromer as well as the Cabell family still owning Cromer Hall .. I'm going to attempt to tie all this stuff together to see if the legend of Black Shuck started with the details mentioned at the start of this post or if the murder was just another part of all the other factors contributing to the legend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cabell

The Cabell family arms .. they're too busy running Cromer's Amazonia zoo and organising functions at the old hall these days but are a friendly bunch so I'm hoping they'll agree to some sort of interview/video/something out of all of this *fingers crossed*

aCabellArms.png

Last edited:
The Mrs googled 'inspiration for hound of the baskervilles' and has unfortunately lost the link to this further information stating that Richard Cabell's wife outlived him by ten years according to death records :

'One of the most popular of the Sherlock Holmes stories, The Hound of the Baskervilles tells the tale of a family haunted by a curse that’s exacted by a vicious hellhound.

The legend behind the story is that of a despised, feared, and hated man named Richard Cabell. Cabell supposedly sold his soul to the Devil, and after being entombed in a sepulchre by villagers fearful he would rise from the dead, Satan’s hellhounds returned to the grave every night, howling in frustration at being denied access to their soul.

The Whole Bushel The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous Sherlock Holmes stories. For those not familiar with the story, Holmes sends Watson off to investigate a mysterious murder surrounded by stories of a mysterious, spectral hound seen roaming the hills of Devonshire, supposedly part of a curse on the Baskerville family that has been haunting them for generations. A great story, no doubt, but the real legend that it’s based on is no less creepy. According to legend, a man named Richard Cabell lived in West Buckfastleigh in the late 17th century. A squire by trade, he was, by all accounts, an absolutely hated man known for his violent tendencies. Supposedly his family had supported the wrong side during the English Civil War, and Richard ended up marrying the daughter of the man who had imposed fines on the family and sent them into financial ruin. The marriage meant that he got his estate back, but the ending was anything but happy. The locals were convinced that he had sold his soul to the Devil, apparently finding this a much more likely explanation for the return of his fortunes than the idea that he was just a stand-up sort of guy.

In an absolutely unproven version of Cabell’s story, it was said that his wife eventually found herself the target of his rage. (Death records show, however, that the historic wife actually outlived him by more than a decade.) Cabell was said to have chased her out onto the moors in a jealous rage one night, killing her. In retaliation, her faithful hound ripped out his throat. Cabell was laid to rest in the local church, but the villagers were afraid that he would rise from the grave and return to torment them.

Instead of a simple grave, he was buried in a sepulchre lined with iron bars and a tomb sealed with a massive slab, all designed to keep him inside. Almost immediately, villagers claimed to hear hounds howling in the night, pacing outside of his grave. Naturally, they were the hounds of hell, sent by the Devil to collect the soul that he’d been promised. Other stories claim that the sepulchre is regularly visited by demons, hoping to succeed where the hounds have failed.

That’s not the end of the weirdness, either. Beneath the graveyard is a series of limestone caves, stretching for miles and once home to—oddly—prehistoric hippos. Deep in the caves beneath the grave of Richard Cabell is a strange formation, occurring where a stalagmite and a stalactite have come together. Known as the Little Man, it’s said to look a little too much like a man in 17th-century clothing. Even today, it’s said that if you run around the grave seven times and then reach through the iron bars of the tomb, Cabell will start chewing on your fingers.

There’s definitely some non-supernatural weirdness going on around his grave as well. Not long after he was buried there, the cemetery became a popular haunt for body snatchers. The church attached to it has been struck by lightning, partially destroyed by fire more than once, and decimated by German bombs during World War II. Rumor has it that it’s also a favorite haunt for Satanists, but the church now stands empty and gutted after the latest fire.'

edit: another version with more minor details

https://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/cromer_hall.htm

Last edited:
I've never really given any thought as to why Black Schuck was said to roam between Cromer and Hunstanton, I picked up a book last week, Paranormal Norfolk by Frank Meeres ( www.amberleybooks.com , ISBN 978 1 84858 473 3) that goes into this:

'The favourite local explanation for this is that one day a fishing boat sank and a few days later a couple of bodies were found washed up on the beach. These bodies were found a few miles apart and so the respective vicars were informed. Each elected to have the body found on his particular parish's soil buried in the local graveyard. This was duly done but the two men were not the only creatures involved in the castastrophe. A large black dog belonging to one of the drowned men managed to swim ashore, and being uncertain which of the two graves was that of his master he still wanders between the two, condemned to ceaseless searching'.

Frank Meeres also writes that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle actually started writing The Hound Of The Baskervilles at The Royal Links Hotel in Cromer with his collaborator Fletcher Robinson as opposed to above a building which is now called 'Craft Burger' but was 'The Dolphin' (pub) when I first moved here and had been an Inn renting upstairs lodgings back then ... the local lads used to call the area, amusingly enough, the Beermuda Triangle about ten years ago which included a three bar pub crawl, The Dolphin, The Kings Head and The Wellington Arms, all three about 20 seconds walk from each other.

There's even a lane in Overstrand called Schuck's Lane, called this because he was reported to be seen there so often ! .. (I haven't found it on Google street view yet)

https://www.hiddenea.com/shuckland/overstrandandthecoast.htm

Last edited:
What is the name of the Guest house, Black Shuck?
I only knew it as 'The Dolphin' when I first moved here (about 13 year ago now) but it was a guest house as I read somewhere once even back in Conan Doyle's time .. I'm not sure without researching what it was called then sorry but I could ask my mate Al at Cromer museum what it was called back then ..

Me neither ! .. I'll be looking into it, I typed Overstrand, Schuck's Lane into street view and it just showed me a close up of a hedge .. this might be one for local knowledge power instead ..

The hedge in all its glory ..

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.91685,1.34136,159.69h,5p,1z
I've just asked online some locals and have had these responses so far:

"Always used to be the lane round the back of Northrepps Cottage, as you come up from Overstrand"

& ..

"Still marked as the lane above. Named after an alleged headless dog said to patrol it....a story put out by smugglers as the goods were taken from Overstrand and/or N'repps Cottage to my farm at Winspurs on the N.Walsham road and after 3 trips,you won your Spurs and joined the gang hence the name of the farm. Booty went on to N.Walsham,Norwich and on to London. Sally Beans house near the top of the lane was where a 'lady of the night' kept the Customs men happy whilst the smugglers were at work."

We (me, the Mrs and our parents) stayed at Northrepps Cottage for my 40th, Elizabeth Fry (social reformer that used to be on the back of the old £5 note) used to live there so we walked that route the next morning :) .. I was testing my new video camera and spotted a weird black beastie only to zoom in on it and it was just a black sheep ..

Here's the area in question ..

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.904193,1.330672,272.52h,-10.77p,1z
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.913078,1.326858,117.7h,5p,1z

Last edited:
The Mrs blagged this from a sales rep for me the other day. We sell Black Schuck gin. I'll have to remember to ask if they've got T Shirts, we've already got a couple of their branded gin glasses ..

ablackshuck.jpg

... We sell Black Schuck gin. I'll have to remember to ask if they've got T Shirts, we've already got a couple of their branded gin glasses ...

They (the Norfolk Sloe Company) do - or at least they did. There are photos from 2015 / 2016 showing the family who run / are the company all wearing black T-shirts with the Black Shuck Gin logo.

I thought you might like this Black Shuck video (complete with sighting retold on film from the archives):
I'd like to go and see those burnt-in clawmarks on the door one day.

Also, I spotted a website by Mike Burgess called 'Shuckland' with much effort evidently having gone into amassing sightings (or 'sightings' if you cynically prefer) and locations. https://www.hiddenea.com/shuckland/introduction.htm

I've just finished the third book in my vampire trilogy (it's a bit of a change from my usual rom com stuff). It features a Black Shuck. He's called Spot.

In an absolutely unproven version of Cabell’s story, it was said that his wife eventually found herself the target of his rage. (Death records show, however, that the historic wife actually outlived him by more than a decade.) Cabell was said to have chased her out onto the moors in a jealous rage one night, killing her. [My italics, Mikefule]

Attaching of legends to historical figures, in defiance of the historical facts, is common in folklore.

I was recently looking up the history of the traditional song, "Black Jack David" recorded by rockabilly singer, Warren Smith. It may be the oldest song to be recorded by a rock and roll artist. (Depending on how you define your terms, Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar" may be a contender.)

The song is loosely based on the legend attached to the (historical) 6th Earl of Cassilis.

The legend goes that while the Earl was away in Westminster, his first wife ran away with a band of gypsies led by (the historical) gypsy leader, John Faa. The fleeing lovers were caught at a nearby ford still known as the "gypsy's steps". The Earl forced his wife to watch John Faa being hanged, and then locked her away for the rest of her life in a room with an oriel window overlooking the hanging tree. He then bigamously married his second wife.

However, historical evidence shows:
The real John Faa, "king of the gypsies" flourished between 1540 and 1553. The Earl married in 1621, his first wife died in 1643, he remarried in 1644, and he died in 1668.
The Earl's first wife died a year before the Earl went to Westminster.
Extant correspondence shows that he was tenderly in love with his first wife and mourned her death.
The ford is so close that the fleeing lovers would hardly have got out of breath running before they were caught.
The folk tale only became attributed to the Earl in the 1700s, and the specific detail about him imprisoning his wife has been traced to 1827.

Back to the original thread: I lived in central Norfolk as a child, leaving at the age of 8 and I have family links to the county. My school chums told the usual smattering of scary tales, but I never heard of Shuck until I lived in Nottingham and read about him in Folklore, Myths and Legends of the British Isles.

Back