• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Glue Mishaps

SoundDust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
eye drops/glue mix up

A seven-year-old girl has been told she will not lose her sight after her eye was glued shut in a bizarre accident.
Michelle Skidmore, from east Cleveland, accidentally used nail glue instead of conjunctivitis drops in her daughter's right eye.

Doctors have said Karen - who could not open her eye for three days - may have suffered a scratched retina.

Ms Skidmore said the two containers were
Ms Skidmore admitted it had been a "stupid" mistake, but was taking advice from Trading Standards and a solicitor about it.

She added: "The bottles are very, very similar in colour - they are both lilac and pink - and they have even got a similar logo on them.

"Trading Standards have had a look, I'm seeing solicitors about it as well, but I just want to warn other mothers to study medication very carefully, read the label twice if you have to.
:confused: :eek!!!!:

Man glued condom to himself

A Romanian father-of-five needed medical help after he superglued a condom to his penis.

Nicolae Popovici, 43, told doctors he didn’t want any more children, reports National newspaper. The man, from Topraiser in Constanta County, named only as NP in the paper, already has five children.

He and his wife decided to use contraception but the condom they bought was too big so he stuck it on with glue. After sex, the man realised he couldn’t remove the condom and went to his village’s medical clinic for help. A nurse said: “He even said that he thought the condom could be used several times and that he wanted it stuck on his penis so he could use it again later. We barely managed to remove it in the end.”

-----------
ananova

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_29-10-2004_pg9_4

How embarassing is that - not only are you stupid but you are clearly hung like a mouse!!

Mon, Jan 10, 2005

Grandmother in sticky problem

A GREAT-grandmother, 78, glued her eyelids shut after mistaking super-strength glue for eye drops.

Mrs Terry Horder, of Wurtulla on the Sunshine Coast, said she was defrosting the fridge when her eyes started watering and she reached for what she thought were the allergy eye drops.

“The light was out in the fridge and the two bottles were together and I got the first one and it was wrong,” she said yesterday.

She was taken by ambulance to Caloundra hospital where a nurse used vegetable oil to soften the glue and help her prise her eyelids apart.

The Border Mail

Here's a couple. I don't think they've been posted yet.

Man Sues Ex-Girlfriend Over Glue Attack

Thu Nov 3, 4:20 PM ET

GREENSBURG, Pa. - A man claims his ex-girlfriend owes him more than $30,000 for gluing his genitals to his abdomen five years ago. "This was not just some petty domestic squabble," attorney Grey Pratt told a Westmoreland County jury Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

His client, Kenneth Slaby of Pittsburgh, is suing Gail O'Toole of Murrysville. His lawsuit claims the two broke up in 1999 after dating for 10 months and Slaby began dating someone else.

Slaby contends that O'Toole invited him over to her home on May 7, 2000, where he fell asleep. He woke up to find that O'Toole had used Super Glue to stick his genitals to his abdomen, glued his buttocks together and spelled out a profanity on his back in nail polish.

Slaby said O'Toole told him it was payback for their breakup, and he had to walk a mile to a gas station to call for help. He pressed charges and O'Toole pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and served six months' probation.

O'Toole's attorney, Chuck Evans, said it was a consensual act and Slaby wasn't permanently damaged.

"This is a case that should have been left in the bedroom," he said.

link
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man Sues After Using Glue-Covered Toilet

Thu Nov 3,12:32 PM ET

BOULDER, Colo. - Home Depot was sued by a shopper who claims he got stuck to a restroom toilet seat because a prankster had smeared it with glue.

Bob Dougherty, 57, accused employees of ignoring his cries for help for about 15 minutes because they thought he was kidding.

"They left me there, going through all that stress," Dougherty told The (Boulder) Daily Camera. "They just let me rot."

The lawsuit, filed Friday, said Dougherty was recovering from heart bypass surgery and thought he was having a heart attack when he got stuck at the Louisville store on the day before Halloween 2003. A store employee who heard him calling for help informed the head clerk by radio, but the head clerk "believed it to be a hoax," the lawsuit said.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said she could not comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit said store officials called for an ambulance after about 15 minutes. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat, and as they wheeled the "frightened and humiliated" Dougherty out of the store, he passed out.

The lawsuit said the toilet seat separated from his skin, leaving abrasions.

"This is not Home Depot's fault," he said. "But I am blaming them for letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."

link
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woman glues right eye shut
A woman is facing permanent damage to her sight after she mistook a bottle of toxic nail glue for eyedrops.
Last Updated: 3:12PM BST 02 Apr 2009

Paula Griffin, 29, squirted the hazardous liquid into her right eye by mistake after waking up with blurred vision.

Her eye was glued shut for eight hours and was only prised open again when doctors cut off her lashes.

Miss Griffin was warned she could have lost her sight forever and is still waiting to be told if there is any lasting damage.

The accident happened when she woke up and reached for a bottle of eyedrops in a bathroom cupboard.

But in her confused state she grabbed an identical-sized bottle of nail glue that was next to it.

The glue is used by beauty professionals to fix false nails and carries a toxic symbol and a warning that it bonds skin within seconds. :shock:

Paula, from Bournemouth, Dorset, said: "I was still really tired and I couldn't see very well, so I stumbled into the bathroom and picked the bottle off the shelf.

"As soon as I squeezed it, I knew something was wrong.

"I managed to stop it hitting the centre of the eye, and doctors told me later that it saved me from permanent damage.

"It was agonising. It was burning so much it was my natural instinct to shut my eye.

"But as soon as I did, my eyelashes stuck fast together and I couldn't open my eye again."

Miss Griffin, who also runs her own fancy dress business, said: "I would hate people to think I'm just some dumb blonde, because I'm not.

"It was a nasty accident, and it could have happened to anyone but I won't be putting the bottles anywhere near each other again, that's for sure."

Dr Simon Bell, consultant in emergency medicine at Poole Hospital, said: "As long as the glue remains on the outside of the eye, the injury will be extremely painful but will only have superficial or cosmetic damage."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -shut.html

Let's hope she's OK

ramonmercado said:
A real stick up.

Letterkenny homes glued shut in act of vandalism
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-i ... t-19755078

Gardai forensic teams have visited the scene

Dozens of residents in a County Donegal housing estate have had the doors to their houses glued tight in an act of vandalism."

"

The Phantom Gluer strikes again.

Letterkenny glue attacks: more houses are targeted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-i ... t-20164694

The scene of a previous incident when car and house doors were glued shut in Letterkenny

Related Stories
Homes glued shut by vandals

House and car doors have been glued shut in a County Donegal town for the third time in five weeks.

On Wednesday morning, up to 60 cars and houses in the Glencar Park area of Letterkenny had their locks glued by a disguised man who was captured on CCTV.

Local locksmith, Conal Kelly, said the glue renders the doors useless and they cost more than €50 (£40) to replace.

In the first incident on September 28, over 25 homes in Letterkenny were targeted.

Resident John Stevenson had his house and car doors glued shut.

"A neighbour came along and told me I had glue on my front door and the door of my car, all the houses in the row were done.

"He had a little screwdriver with him and he managed to get the glue out of both the house and the car doors so it wasn't a major problem.

"But if I had left the house and pulled the door behind me it would have been a problem there

"It was only then that I had heard that Ballymacool had been targeted before.

"It looked like it was done in a hurry because the glue wasn't right it so it was easy to get out.

"I think it is all a bit silly, the person who did this should grow up."

Gardai (police) Superintendent Vincent O'Brien has appealed to anybody who was in the vicinity of Glencar Park and Circular Road, to contact them.

"Milk delivery agents or people making their way early to work or to early morning gyms may have seen something that could help our investigation.

"We're also appealing to anyone in the Glencar Park area who has CCTV footage, even if they weren't targeted, to come forward and help us."

Gardai are known to be deeply concerned about 'copycats' and the random selection of targets.

Investigations are continuing into the incidents at St Eunan's Terrace. Locally, there has also been reports of similar attacks in the Ard O'Donnell, Convent Road and New Line Road areas.

Lets stick together.

County Donegal glue gang strikes for the fourth time
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20808626

The scene of a previous incident when car and house doors were glued shut in Letterkenny

The gang who have been gluing houses and cars closed in County Donegal have struck again.

The vandals attacked properties in the Beechwood area of Letterkenny on Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

A number of houses had their front doors glued with many of the homes belonging to elderly people.

This is at least the fourth such attack - the first happened in September. Police have yet to identify the culprits.

In the first incident, more than 25 homes at Ballymacool Terrace at the Lower Main Street area of the town had their front doors glued.

It is understood that there have been attempts to glue the doors of 60 houses.

A number of cars have also had their doors glued.

This Michigan woman mistook her fingernail glue for eye drops and glued her eye shut.
Woman mistakes nail glue for eye drops, glues eye shut

A woman in Michigan accidentally glued her eye shut when she mixed up her bottles of eye drops and nail glue ...

The woman, Yacedrah Williams, said she had gone to sleep with her contact lenses in, but woke up at 1 a.m. and wanted to take them out ... Since her eyes were dry, she needed some eye drops to help remove the lenses.

So she reached for her purse, where she kept a small bottle of eye drops. But she also stored a small bottle of nail glue in her purse, for fixing broken fingernails ...

Williams realized her mistake a second too late. "I was like, 'Oh my goodness.' It dropped in my eye, and I tried to wipe it away. It sealed my eye shut" ... "I just started throwing cold water [on it], and I was trying to pull my eyes apart but couldn't."

Williams' decision to put water in her eye turned out to be a good one. "If you ever get anything in your eye, the immediate thing to do is try and flush your eye out" ... "You'll make a mess but you may save your vision." ...

Williams was taken to the hospital where doctors removed her contact lens, which had the nail glue on it. "They said that contact saved my vision," Yacedrah Williams said. She lost her eye lashes on that eye because doctors had to flip the top of the eyelid and pull on it to remove the lens ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/woman-glues-eye-shut.html

Um—maybe store the eye drops in a different place than the nail glue?

Um—maybe store the eye drops in a different place than the nail glue?
At the allotment I now store the weed killer in a locked box after an incident a couple of years back when I found the wife using it to spray blackfly on the runner beans. She thought it was the “organic” pest spray.

Back