• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Gnome" video, and my friend's "gnome"

It may be fake, but I am still interested in how they created their gnome.
It looks too small to be a dwarf. Did they use some kind of a small robot?

SameOldVardoger said:
It may be fake, but I am still interested in how they created their gnome.
It looks too small to be a dwarf. Did they use some kind of a small robot?
Actually, when I watched the Sun video, it occurred to me that the guy is about the same height and also walks a bit like, Verne Troyer, who played Mini Me, in the Austin Powers movies.

The simplest solution is the best. If it were me, I'd recruit a kid sibling.

Well, being a member of Little People of America (org for folks 4'10" and under with various medical conditions qualifying as dwarfism), I've been to a number of get-togethers and conventions. There certainly are forms of dwarfism that causes people to walk in that manner. In fact, when I saw the video, I thought it could have been a particular friend of mine who has a "crabby" gait. I see it all the time (though, unfortunately or not, sidewalkers often end up using a power chair, both for convenience and to cut down on the blank gobbing stares :headbutt: ).

Anyway, I received Huygen and Poortvliet's Gnomes for my eighth birthday, and Froud's Faeries shortly thereafter, and began my obsessive gnome hunting. Anything gnomey gets me going.

erm, that sounds bad.
I mean, I find them fascinating. Yeah...

I was fully disappointed when on my first trip to Amsterdam, there was absolutely nothing gnomey floating about the RLD, though plenty of faeries :laughing:

sidhegyrl said:
I thought it could have been a particular friend of mine who has a "crabby" gait. I see it all the time (though, unfortunately or not, sidewalkers often end up using a power chair, both for convenience and to cut down on the blank gobbing stares :headbutt: ).

Does that mean that they have to walk forwards sideways? (I mean, doing a sort of scissor step such that a side of their body is the forward part.)
I thought the gnome was just walking like that in the video to look more dramatic coming out of the bushes - walking towards the camera would make him or her harder to see.

Mark Bellis wrote:
Does that mean that they have to walk forwards sideways? (I mean, doing a sort of scissor step such that a side of their body is the forward part.)

Yes, the folks I knew actually walked sideways just as in the vid, but their legs never crossed. I know what you're talking about though -- there's a guy I know with my disability (arthrogryposis) who walks scissor step, only he walks face forward with is left leg on the right and vice-versa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbWcdN-W8o

duende gnome sighting in Argentina

Does anyone other than me find the video of the gnome encounter actually quite sinister? It did at first seem quite laughable but the more i thought about it the odder it got. Has anyone read any new news on its "authenticity"? Most of the debunking ive read on the net consists mainly of ascribing its popularity to THE SUN newspaper and therefore it must be a hoax but i dont think thats enough. If youve not watched the video yet please check it out at :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHXEqC5BCus

Hope that link works otherwise duende on you tube will get you numerous ones but its the one where the figure with pointy hat emerges from the bushes walking sideways that im thinking of

Thanks martin

Welcome to the board. I've merged your post in with the main gnome video thread - as you can see, we've been discussing it for a little while.

You'll usually find we have existing threads covering most topics - just use the search link and it'll turn them up.

I thought at first that it was just one of the guys' younger brother in the videos, but if it really is somebody with dwarfism, I think it's mean to put a gnome cap on him and get him to do the video.

Aw, heck! I myself would don a gnome cap and be videotaped for a laugh! Though I suppose that just shy of 5' makes me one mighty gnome!

BTW, bf and I went hiking this weekend, and this morning I got up with my ankles all stiff. Just couldn' crack 'em. Ended up hobbling about sideways all morning. Felt gnomie to the core... not really. Just felt old and crabby.

Come on now, how many of you wouldn't throw on a sasquatch suit and engage in some film chicanery if given the chance?

Again, didn't come out sounding quite right. :oops:

sidhegyrl said:
Come on now, how many of you wouldn't throw on a sasquatch suit and engage in some film chicanery if given the chance?

Again, didn't come out sounding quite right. :oops:

I would do it. I am already hairy enough :D

The Gnome is back! In a video very very similar to the first:
'Creepy gnome' back on prowl
17 OCT 2008

"A NEW sighting of South America’s ‘creepy gnome’ has caused panic among locals after a group of youngsters claimed a ‘midget monster’ ran towards them at night.

The teens – who recorded footage of the freaky being on their mobile phone – said they are now “too terrified” to go out at night.

Experts who examined the latest footage, taken in the town of Clodomira, province of Santiago del Estero, Argentina, last week, say it is ‘credible’.

But sceptics say the sidestepping ‘gnome’ could be a speedy child or even a small animal.

Last week’s footage was taken by Juan Carlos Roldan, his brother Javier and five friends, who were larking around by the water fountain in Clodomira.

Juan, who filmed the creature, referred to it as “something that looked like a dwarf”.

He said: “It was walking sideways and was wearing dark clothes. But it was impossible to see its face because its face was covered in shadows.”

One of the lads, who were aged 15-22, yesterday told Argentinean reporters: “We were messing about - singing and dancing - when we heard a loud rustling noise from behind us.

“This tiny thing started running down Avenue San Martin at us. It had a pointy head and dark clothes.

“It was a person of incredibly low stature. We filmed it then got scared and ran off.

“This little thing was barking like a dog - but running sideways on two legs. It headed off towards the football stadium.”

Juan added: “We stopped for a while around a block away from where we saw it. Then we returned and picked up the pieces of clothing that we had left behind and our bikes too but we didn’t see anything else.”

Photographic expert Aldegonda Alvarz, of Universidad Nacional de Santiago del Estero, yesterday said: “This video footage seems credible. We could be looking at another ‘petido orejudo’ - small being.” "

Full article with video:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 817406.ece

an animal! always with the stupid explanations that make skeptics look like idiots!

Why not go close and film it instead? What damage can it do? So much superstition.

Well, of course it can decide to jump on them and bite them in the leg... :twisted:

I hate to say it, but there's a pinkish bit where you'd expect to see a face, and it appears to be wearing a sash. Or a long beard. :?

SameOldVardoger said:
Some new gnome videos from Argentina have appeared again.
You've lost me there - if they're new, how can they appear again? :!:

How is an honest seeker after truth to know that these are not old videos, being recycled for the Nth time?

Most Youtube videos are a waste of time anyway, so I think I'll pass! :twisted:

rynner2 said:
SameOldVardoger said:
Some new gnome videos from Argentina have appeared again.
You've lost me there - if they're new, how can they appear again? :!:

How is an honest seeker after truth to know that these are not old videos, being recycled for the Nth time?

Most Youtube videos are a waste of time anyway, so I think I'll pass! :twisted:

Please misunderstand me correctly.
I am talking about type of videos, not exactly same videos of course.

Back