• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Goatman

A

Anonymous

Goat Skinner?

According to some people, there is a big mean monster eating hobos in redding, california.

It has goat's horns and a lion's head, and was about six to seven feet tall, and had no tail. They also had heard something about something called the "goat skinner" in colorado, and tried to look it up on the internet, but couldn't find it. I can't find it either, and i was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it.

I'm sexy

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to the Bray Road Beast and Goatman legends although the Bray Road creature seemed to be far more genuine. I find that Bigfoot is to blame for many of the 'other' legends such as Goatman. Maybe the 'goat skinner' is just another of those zooform phenomena mysteries that takes a town by storm yet is shrouded by so many misinterpretations, hysteria etc that the truth, albeit probably starnge as it is, remains fogged. Goatman was a prime example of a non-existent but very potent spooker. In most cases. blame Bigfoot!

"... there is a big mean monster eating hobos in redding, california... It has goat's horns and a lion's head... and had no tail."

It's intersting how these rumors start from seemingly mundane news reports. I turn to this March 19 report on Redding.com:

"Recipient says transplant is spiritual event"

Inside, as the story goes on about a heart transpant, there is this little item cleverly mixed in:

"In a surgeon's perfect world, worn-out body parts would be replaced with the ease of a mechanic removing out a dead battery and dropping in a new one. Such dreams of spliced together bits of life are as old as ancient Greece, where a mythical creature named The Chimera had a goat's body, a lion's head and a dragon's tail."

So let's recap. We have a news story from Redding, California which mentions, though not as the original poster of this thread intended, "a lion's head" body parts like a "goat's" with specific mention of a "tail". If only it had been reported that a "hobo" performed the heart operation, I'd think we had an exact match.
In any case, here's the URL to the article.

http://www.redding.com/columnist/tbartimus/stories/20020319coltb037.shtml

Is he/she a cryptid or should this be in urban legends? meh
neway, i've heard afew stories about him on animal x on the discovery channel and a few websites i've forgotten. i was wondering if nebody else had some good stories/info?
cheers :D

GOATMAN is nothing more than an accumulation of legends, campfire tales, college yarns and Bigfoot sightings. It's a great scare story in a similar vein to BUNNYMAN and other urban legends, but it has no substance.

but arguably couldn't you apply that to nearly all of the cryptozoology cases?
Afterall most of the accounts of daemons come from the bible or other religions like the greek. and religion in my opinion is simply a collective moral conciense.

Cryptozoology and zooform phenomena are two very different things. Cryptozoology describes creatures that may be still living after alleged existence, or the discovery of newly discovered creatures but creatures such as Goatman, Mothman, Bunnyman, Jersey Devil, Black Dogs, Lizard Man, etc, etc, are zooform phenomena, they have no consistency despite many reports and whilst they resemble animals they have more supernatural characteristics. A number of 'monster' mysteries do lack substance and probably have pertain more to those that see them and the cultures that possibly create them, especially with the MONKEY MAN scare, but if you look into the GOATMAN tales, most describe either Bigfoot-like creatures or simply come from people who tell their stories ike classic Urban Legends which can also pertain to phantom hitchhikers etc. Many things that occur in certain areas can become Goatman or the JERSEY DEVIL, so they will always exist but they are moulded by society.

Goatmen were mentioned in an ABC of Irish legend I read they were meant to have invaded Ireland at some point but I don't know the specific legend.

None of the alleged Goatman sightings have ever even described a Satyr-like figure, but merely a shadowy figure or hairy man-beast which is obviously more Bigfoot anyway. Much of the background to Goatman revolves around a common U.S. Urban Legend theme...the escaped lunatic or experiment gone wrong scenario, i.e. mad scientist became a mutant after a tragic experiment and ended up prowling the woods, or, local asylum escapee becomes the figure, in the same way that the hobo's and hermit's also become Goatman with their axes which they use to chop wood as they prowl the railway lines before returning to their shacks. There is a common theme to many of these 'horror' stories and through the years they gradually alter to fit in with the current crop of campfire tales.

Strange as these stories seem, they have an important bearing on Cryptozoology: once a tale starts, it seems to affect the subjective impressions of people in that area, so that every hobo might be misidentified as a goatman.
I think identifying this sort of phenomenon is the most valuable lesson about collecting fortean-type data;
it becomes apparent that once a tale/meme starts, you will find that every hobo becomes a goatman, every tomcat a puma, every meteor an alien spacecraft and every asylum seeker a terrorist.

Yes, that's right, because we need to create these legends and mysteries, even if at times they cloud some of the more truthful happenings. We always tend to blame the aliens for cattle mutilations, abductions, crop circles, men in black etc, in the same way the Jersey Devil is always responsible for slaughtered livestock and the fleeting shadows in the Pine Barrens, and these ingredients make for great fortean data, and they will always be told by those who have no real interest, they become friend-of-friend tales, but there are times that they can be rescued from these cloudy depths by folklorists, some who find that these legends are nothing more than legends, or in the case of tomcats, that what many people are seeing are Black Leopards, even if it's in Illinois, Austrailia or wherever.

Be careful if you do any searches on this one. It would appear from my research that 'Goatman' is also a nickname attributed to an individual pictured in a rather upsetting picture on a website called http://goatse.cx
Really, don't look at it unless you've got a strong constitution. I'm sure someone will consider it 'Fortean' in some way, but it sure ain't what I was looking for...:eek!!!!:

No, no, no

:_omg: :_omg: :_omg:

'kin 'ell, i can't not look when those 'no really don't look' warnings crop up: wish i hadn't. REALLY chaps - this one is utterly foul, this guy clearly has both physical and mental problems.

Was he called goatman because he could fit a goat up his arse, or was it related to his general intelligence? In fact, is that his arse at all, or did his mate mistake a hand-grenade for a whoopee cushion...

Yeah, I've seen that Goatse.cx thing more times than I care to recall. Usually not voluntarily... Anyway, I was under the impression that "Goatman" was just a regional bigfoot name, like Momo, or Grassman, etc. Isn't that right? Also, I think he was supposed to have been solid white or light grey in color. I know that he's listed in the Field Guide to Bigfoot, Yeti, and Other Mystery Primates, but then, so was the sea ape. *shrugs*

The devil supposed to be portrayed frequently as half man, half goat.

Muddying the waters

Just to complicate matters, there's the Goatman of the American South. He travelled by goat cart through a large area (Alabama to South Carolina, I think), and had no friends but his faithful goats.

Re: Goatman WAS Bigfoot!

I am from the city in Maryland where the supposed "goatman" is from. The whole belief started with several dead dogs found still in their back gardens or on chains in the suburban area. There are many people who claim to see Goatman in the abandoned TB hospital in Bowie MD but its really the local teenagers and druggies that inhabit the place at night. The hospital is a spooky 5 storey building but there are certainly no goat men or bigfoot of any sort anywhere near the town.

(this post removed from the Bigfoot in America thread and placed here - Stu.)

Back