• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'God's banker': the Roberto Calvi case

A

Anonymous

Roberto calvi was exhumed in 1998. What were the results

This was to determine if he had been murdered or if he had commited suicide. The findings at the time were that he had commited suicide but there are numerous facts that seem to indicate foul play. The last I heard was that they were exhuming him in '98 to determine the cause of death. I did not hear any results. Does anybody know what happened, since this is nearly 4 years ago.

I wonder if the guys conducting the post mortem were freemasons. If so, the results will be conclusively negative once again..........suicide!

For anyone who does'nt know; Roberto calvi was the Vaticans Banker. Under his chairmanship, Banco Ambrosiano, Italys largest private bank, laundered money for the mafia.
He was a freemason within the Vatican and is believed to be a member of a vatican/masonic order. He was found hanged from blackfriers bridge shortly after. His pockets were full of bricks (which is seen as a masonic reference) and there are other anomalies to be found. For one, it always seemed odd that a man who suffered from acute vertigo would choose to end his life by swinging from a bridge. The walk that he would have had to do with bricks in his pocket has been noted for its unrealstic distance.
As well as the significance of Blackfriers bridge to the freemasons.

What I want to know is what were the findings of the post mortem and autopsy?

Ahh.. the old P2 Vatican Masonic Banking scandal again. Did I leave out any relevant adjectives? Actually I thought I had read somewhere recently that it was determined as murder but can't recall the source...must be a conspiracy after all. If anyone would know RAWilson might; ck out his website. http://www.rawilson.com
;)

The autopsy is mentioned briefly in an article by Mark Pilkington in FT 161. (The main topic is the film about Calvi, I Bancheiri di Dio, that was the subject of a ban, later rescinded, by an Italian court.)

Mark writes: "In 1998 Calvi was exhumed on the orders of a judge presiding over [Flavio] Carboni's case; traces of another person's DNA on Calvi's underwear and suspicious bruising on his wrist were said to have been found. In a report leaked this April, Professor Bernd Brinkmann, of Munster University, noted the lack of scuff marks or paint samples from the bridge on the dead man's shoes. He found no evidence of damage consistent with death by hanging. How could a small, rotund man in his sixties have climbed up the bridge with 11 lbs of bricks in his pockets?"

The Hanged Man

naitaka said:
The autopsy is mentioned briefly in an article by Mark Pilkington in FT 161. (The main topic is the film about Calvi, I Bancheiri di Dio, that was the subject of a ban, later rescinded, by an Italian court.)

Mark writes: "In 1998 Calvi was exhumed on the orders of a judge presiding over [Flavio] Carboni's case; traces of another person's DNA on Calvi's underwear and suspicious bruising on his wrist were said to have been found. In a report leaked this April, Professor Bernd Brinkmann, of Munster University, noted the lack of scuff marks or paint samples from the bridge on the dead man's shoes. He found no evidence of damage consistent with death by hanging. How could a small, rotund man in his sixties have climbed up the bridge with 11 lbs of bricks in his pockets?"

Well, there ya go, that's good enough for me. I mean would anybody commit suicide in such a strange fashion?

He also suffered from acute vertigo.

I am happy with that result.

Was there any outcome. The mafia had been accused and certain people were suspects. What happened to them?

St.Clair said:
He also suffered from acute vertigo.

I am happy with that result.

Was there any outcome. The mafia had been accused and certain people were suspects. What happened to them?

Wasn't Gelli and a few others arrested, tried, and convicted for the P2 scandal? I don't think they were able to pin the murder on them but they were busted for the banking fraud, etc. I heard thet Gelli escaped and was caught and escaped again.

Along with the bricks in the pocket and the vertigo, I seem to recall
that Calvi would have needed to cross a plank to climb up to the
platform. At the time of his death, that plank was submerged under
the river, which is tidal at that point.

The case against the Masons rests mainly on the symbolism - the
bricks, the name Blackfriars and the tidal river. His death was supposed
to be a stern warning to others.

The Calvi case is surely the best known "Masonic murder" in recent
years. Such lessons are supposed to be read by Craft members.
So I wonder how many go unnoticed by the profane? Or are they
ultra-rare events? Myths? :confused:

God's Banker update

Daily Telegraph:
New clue to riddle of hanged banker
By Bruce Johnston in Rome
(Filed: 15/10/2002)

A safety deposit box that belonged to the Vatican banker found hanging under Blackfriars Bridge in London 20 years ago has been discovered in Milan.

Roberto Calvi
Italian magistrates have reopened their inquiry into the death of Roberto Calvi, which they now presume to have been murder, and La Repubblica newspaper in Rome said yesterday the box contained papers which could lead to those who ordered Calvi's murder and a brick - a symbol of the freemasons.

Mr Calvi, a secret freemason, was known as "God's banker". The box was found at a branch of the Nuovo Banco Ambrosiano, which was born out of the ruins of his Vatican-linked Banco Ambrosiano, which crashed in an £880 million bankruptcy in 1981.

Shortly after Calvi's body was found dangling from a noose on June 18, 1982 - with stones and bricks in his pockets - a coroner in London ruled that his death was suicide, but a second coroner gave an open verdict. A new Italian autopsy using advanced technology is now expected to point to murder.

Italian magistrates are said to have been told by informers that Calvi was almost certainly killed by Mafia bosses, many of whom have secret masonic ties, for failing to repay their "deposits" on demand.

Two unnamed suspects are said to be under investigation, one for ordering the killing, and the other for helping to carry it out.

Remember reading something very recently, like the last few days, about a safe deposit box in his name, which was disscovered recently, had some documents in it i forget their importance and also a brick.

'God's banker' case re-opened

'God's banker' case re-opened

Apparently several men have been indicted from the Sicilian mob as well as the mainland - was wondering whether this case would ever be resolved. Now we may find out what really happened in Blackfriars 20 years ago. I like how it's taken them over 5 years from the ruling that Calvi was murdered (what a surprise, hung under a bridge with rocks in his pocket not a suicide :rolleyes: )to prosecuting someone for it - gotta love italian justice!

i'm not entirely sure about this but didn't the mafia start out as sicilian freedom-fighters? if so i suspect this may well have been about the time that italy came into existence as a unified state (could be wrong but i think it was 1871, garibaldi etc). this might also explain their arrival in the u.s. around the turn of the century.

Case is now reopen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3147600.stm
Last Updated: Monday, 29 September, 2003, 15:43 GMT 16:43 UK

British police reopen Calvi case

More than 20 years after a prominent Italian banker was found hanged from Blackfriars Bridge in central London, police have reopened the case.

The initiative by the City of London Police comes in the wake of the decision earlier this summer by Italian prosecutors to bring charges against four people over the death of Roberto Calvi.

Calvi, nicknamed God's Banker because of his Vatican connections, had fled Italy after the private bank he chaired, the Banco Ambrosiano, collapsed with spectacular losses

He was originally thought to have committed suicide, but forensic tests recently concluded in Germany suggested he had been murdered.

Now Detective Superintendent Trevor Smith, of the City of London Police, has been asked to begin inquiries into the case on behalf of Dr Luca Tescaroli, the Rome magistrate who is in charge of the Italian prosecutions.

The City of London Police confirmed the "circumstances surrounding Roberto Calvi's death are currently under active investigation".

Calvi's son, Carlo, told BBC News Online the news was "very encouraging" and he said he planned to travel to London from his home in Canada to help assist the police.

Four people are facing trial in Italy in connection with Mr Calvi's death.

They are Pippo Calo, a Mafia gangster already serving a long prison sentence, Flavio Carboni and Ernesto Diotallevi, described as go-betweens and Mr Carboni's Austrian girlfriend, Manuela Kleinszig.

Mr Carboni's lawyer, Renato Borzone, has already accused prosecutors of "relying on a phoney testimony by mafia turncoats" to make their case.

Third inquest

Calvi was found hanging from scaffolding beneath Blackfriars Bridge in central London in June 1982 with bricks in his pockets and ,000 on him.

He had arrived in London on bail, having been convicted of corruption in Italy.

A coroner initially recorded a verdict of suicide but a second inquest returned an open verdict on the 62-year-old banker.

Carlo Calvi wants a third inquest to look into his father's death in the light of a report by Professor Bernd Brinkmann, who reconstructed the scaffold which was underneath the bridge in June 1982.

Mr Brinkmann concluded Calvi could not have got up the scaffold to hang himself.

Calvi was director-general and president of the Banco Ambrosiano, Italy's largest private bank, when it collapsed.

He was also a central figure in a complex web of international fraud and intrigue.

Vatican implicated

At the time of his death billions of lire was missing from Banko Ambosiano's accounts.

Investigators probed the bank's close links with the Vatican's bank, the Institute of Religious Works.

The Vatican denied legal responsibility for the bank's downfall but acknowledged "moral involvement", and paid 1m to creditors.

Italian prosecutors say they believe Calvi was murdered by the Sicilian Mafia and mainland Italian mobsters, the Camorra, as punishment for pocketing money they had asked him to launder.

What happened to Calvi is not strictly in accord with Masonic tradition, although there are common elements. The mafia, however, is supposed to have it's own initiation rituals and vows, about which not all that much is known. Anyone know of some sort of authoritative resource on the subject? I seem to recall a trial/senate hearing that eventually got made into a Charles Bronson movie... ummm... the valachi papers?

Billyjoe said:
Remember reading something very recently, like the last few days, about a safe deposit box in his name, which was disscovered recently, had some documents in it i forget their importance and also a brick.

Any report on what the box number was? And what bank? (I'm just askin'...)

First arrest in Calvi case

Breaking news is that someone has been arrested - no online reports yet but I'll drop them in when they appear.

[edit: Nothing too spectacular - a 42 year old woman from London has been arrested and bailed on charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice and perjury but it might lead to interesting development (or not)].

For more background most recent BBC report (30th Sept) has lots of good links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3147600.stm

and this is the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Calvi

Emps

An end to the mystery of God's Banker?

BBC News Online: An end to the mystery of God's Banker?
By Chris Summers
Wednesday, 31 March, 2004

Twenty-two years after the body of God's Banker, Roberto Calvi, was found hanged under London's Blackfriars Bridge, his death remains a compelling mystery. But with four people facing a murder trial in Italy, his son is hoping for an answer at last.

The death of your father is always going to be traumatic.

But for Carlo Calvi the tragedy has been made worse by political intrigue, shady business practices and tales of mafia connections.

An original inquest into the death of Roberto Calvi, who was found on the morning of 18 June 1982, returned a verdict of suicide.

But his death is now widely believed to be one of the most shocking murders in Italian history, and four people are set to go on trial, charged with his murder.

His son Carlo told BBC News Online: "Like most victims' families I want something good to come out of this.

<headline>British women caught up in 'God's banker' murder trial</headline>

The murder of 'God's banker' Robert Calvi, who was found hanged under Blackfriars Bridge, London, in June 1982, is one of Britain's most extraordinary unsolved crimes. For two decades, conspiracy theories and intrigue have abounded over the death of the Vatican financier.

But in 11 days' time three Italian men and an Austrian woman will finally stand trial in Rome accused of Calvi's murder. The case is likely to feature evidence from two British women who unwittingly found themselves embroiled in a world of murder, Mafia hitmen and a multi-million-pound banking scandal.

The Observer has uncovered new details surrounding the banker's death, including those of two women who claim they were innocently caught up in the crime. One, a west London antiques dealer, went out with an Italian playboy who was later alleged to be involved in the killing and ended up being murdered himself. The other British woman acted as an interpreter for one of the men standing trial.

In what promises to be a dramatic trial, prosecutors will produce evidence to claim that Calvi was killed to stop him revealing secrets that would have rocked the Italian political establishment and implicated the Vatican hierarchy.

Investigators from the City of London police and the Italian authorities believe they have evidence to prove Calvi was murdered. They claim he was lured on to a River Thames boat by the Mafia. He was then garrotted from behind with a rope and concrete bricks were stuffed in his underpants and trouser pockets along with $15,000 in cash. A noose was made with the rope, placed round his neck and his body was hung on scaffolding by the bridge to appear as if he had committed suicide.

It is thought the boat on which Calvi was strangled was hired by an Italian drugs dealer and playboy, Sergio Vaccari, who was living in Kensington. Three months after Calvi was murdered, Vaccari was found lying in a pool of blood in his flat in Holland Park, west London. He had been stabbed 15 times in the face and neck.

Police did not link his murder with Calvi's. But new evidence has emerged that Vaccari helped Calvi find his London flat at Chelsea Cloisters when the banker fled Italy to escape a jail sentence for illegal foreign currency dealings. It is believed Vaccari was killed by the Mafia after he threatened to reveal Calvi's killers unless his drug debts were written off.

Vaccari also owned an antiques business in Kensington where he met his English girlfriend, antiques dealer Caroline Whitby-Jones.

In February this year, Italian anti-Mafia police questioned Whitby-Jones, 43, a mother of three, at her home in Florence about her relationship with Vaccari. They took away her diaries and phone books relating to the time she was with Vaccari. In particular they are interested in a trip she made with Vaccari to Sicily in 1981 where it is thought he met Mafia bosses. The Observer has learnt that the City of London police are also interested in talking to Whitby-Jones. However, there is no suggestion she knew of the plot. She declined to speak to The Observer last week.

The second British woman expected to feature in the trial is Odette Morris, then 21, who worked as an interpreter for Flavio Carboni, a Sardinian businessman who is standing trial for Calvi's murder. Carboni is accused of acting as a go-between for Mafia bosses in Italy and the then head of the Mob in the UK, Francesco di Carlo, known as Frankie the Strangler. It is alleged they hatched the plot to silence Calvi.

Carboni is known to have helped arrange Calvi's escape to London. Calvi had been the chairman of Banco Ambrosiano, in which the Vatican held a significant stake - a link that led Calvi becoming known as 'God's banker'. Banco Ambrosiano, which collapsed with 800 million in debts, was used by the Mafia to launder its money from the drugs trade. It was also the finance house through which unlawful payments were made by large corporations to leading Italian politicians.

When Calvi became embroiled in illegal foreign currency deals he faced four years in jail and fled to London. Calvi began sending signals back to Rome that if he was jailed he would tell all he knew.

Carboni used his family connections in London to try to find Calvi accommodation. Carboni's mistress at the time, Laura Scanu-Concas, had an aunt in London who had married a British man, William Morris - Odette's father. The Morris family agreed to help; there is no suggestion any of them were aware of the Calvi plot.

Carboni spent a lot of time at the Morrises' home in Heston, west London. On the morning after Calvi's murder, Carboni is alleged to have turned up at the Morris home and was described as being 'agitated and pacing up and down'. Carboni is alleged to have wanted to distance himself from London and flew with Odette to Edinburgh, where they stayed one night at the George Hotel.

Investigators believe that during this period Carboni had Calvi's briefcase, which contained critical documents that would have exposed Banco Ambrosiano's illegal activities. It is alleged that after Calvi's murder Carboni went to Gatwick airport and handed the documents over to a business associate. Carboni, who denies any part in Calvi's murder, said he did go to Gatwick but never met anybody. At the time Odette, who was travelling with him, is understood to have backed his claim.

But in December last year City of London police arrested Odette, believing she gave Carboni a false alibi. She was held on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice and perjury and questioned about the three days she spent with Carboni after Calvi's death. Morris was released on bail without charge and the case is in the hands of the Crown Prosecution Service.

Morris has declined to talk, but her mother told The Observer : 'He [Carboni] appeared such a nice man. He was a friend of the family. We knew nothing about him or his friends. Odette was just a young girl who helped him out because he did not speak good English.'

While at Morris's home, Carboni is alleged to have made a call to Ernesto Diotallevi, a leading figure in Rome's underworld, who is also on trial for Calvi's murder. Also standing trial is Carboni's Austrian girlfriend, Manuela Kleinszig. The fourth man on trial is convicted Mafia boss Pippo Calo, who is accused of organising the killing. All four deny they were involved in Calvi's murder.

Jeff Katz, the investigator hired by the Calvi family successfully to challenge the original suicide verdict, believes that the truth is emerging. Katz said: 'When Calvi was killed nobody in Italy thought it was suicide. Now the British authorities are thinking the same way. It has taken a long time, but the Calvi family may finally learn who, besides the Mafia, may have been responsible for his murder.' Additional reporting by Zoe Smith

[email protected]ecial reports

Crime

Gun violence in Britain

The issue explained

22.02.2002: Police reform

Useful links

Metropolitan police

Police Federation

Victim support

Firearms manual - Association of Chief Police Officers

The Police Superintendents' Association

Justice

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,2763,1212825,00.ht ml

There truly are no coincidences, only conspiracies. ;) Not that anything of much importance is going on at the Vatican right now.

'God's banker' murder: 4 charged

Monday, April 18, 2005 Posted: 12:47 PM EDT (1647 GMT)

ROME, Italy (AP) -- Four people have been indicted on murder charges in the death of Italian financier Roberto Calvi, a banker with close ties to the Vatican who was found hanging under a bridge in London in 1982, a defense attorney said.

Businessman Flavio Carboni; his ex-girlfriend Manuela Kleinszig, and two men with alleged ties to the Mafia, Giuseppe "Pippo" Calo and Ernesto Diotallevi, will stand trial in October, Carboni's lawyer said Monday.

Calvi was dubbed "God's banker" because of his ties with the Vatican's bank and its former top official, the American Archbishop Paul C. Marcinkus.

Calvi's body was found under a bridge in London on June 18, 1982, his suit pockets stuffed with rocks and bricks, along with a falsified passport and thousands of dollars worth of various currencies, authorities said.

The discovery came days after the collapse of Banco Ambrosiano, where he was president and in which the Vatican's bank held a significant stake. The collapse was Italy's biggest postwar banking scandal.

Renato Borzone, the lawyer representing Carboni, rejected the prosecution's allegations.

"The defense maintains that -- based on medical examinations -- Calvi committed suicide and was not murdered," Borzone said. "There are elements favorable to the defense as well as the prosecution. There are things that have to be clarified."

Carboni was a friend of Calvi's and one of the last people known to have seen to the banker alive.

Prosecutors and court officials were not immediately available for comment.

Banco Ambrosiano fell apart following the disappearance of $1.3 billion. The Vatican's bank agreed to pay $250 million to the Italian bank's creditors, but denied any wrongdoing. Marcinkus also denied wrongdoing.

In July 2003, Italian prosecutors issued a report concluding that Calvi did not commit suicide, but was killed.

British police announced in 2003 that they had begun a murder inquiry into Calvi's death after a detailed review of the case.

In December 2003, a 42-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice, and of perjury.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04 ... index.html[/quote]

There was a modest budget movie a couple of years ago (straight to DVD) which came out and had reference to P2... it was called revelation. the director on the movie's site spoke about getting threatening messages with regard to this.

there's a film i saw recently, about a homeless scouser, who witnesses a calvi type forced suicide on a lodon bridge, anyone know the title?

UK police find Calvi was murdered

greets

Last Updated: Friday, 20 May, 2005, 15:53 GMT 16:53 UK

UK police find Calvi was murdered

Italian banker Roberto Calvi
Calvi was chairman of Banco Ambrosiano
Detectives in London have officially concluded that Italian banker Roberto Calvi was murdered in the city in 1982.

Known as 'God's banker' because of ties to the Vatican, Mr Calvi was found hanging under Blackfriars Bridge but the death was first treated as suicide.

Four people were charged with murder by the Italian authorities last month.

The City of London Police has now completed its own crime report, following a re-investigation, to assist the Italians with their inquiry.

British woman quizzed

London officers are likely to give evidence at the October trial, said a spokesman.

Police said they believe Mr Calvi was probably strangled by two or possibly more people and then hung from scaffolding. When his body was found there were bricks in his pockets, along with thousands of pounds in cash.

CALVI KEY DATES
1971: Becomes chairman of Banco Ambrosiano
1981: Convicted of corruption, but bailed pending appeal
11 June 1982: Leaves Italy with a suitcase of documents
18 June 1982: Body found
July 1982: Suicide verdict
July 1983: Open verdict at second inquest
1998: Calvi's body exhumed
Oct 2002: Forensic report says Calvi murdered
July 2003: Italian prosecutors name four suspects
Sept 2003: City of London Police re-open investigation
Mar 2004: Four appear at pre-trial hearing in Rome
April 2005: Four people charged with murder in Italy

The 62-year-old was president of the struggling Banco Ambrosiano, which later collapsed.

Detectives from the city force had re-opened their investigation into the banker's death in September 2003, following developments with the case in Italy.

Later that year they questioned, then bailed, a 42-year-old British woman on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice and perjury.

Police said she was freed from her bail earlier this year, after prosecutors decided it would not be in the public interest to pursue the case.

A variety of reasons, including the length of time since the death, were cited, said a police spokesman.

The four people due to stand trial in Italy are Flavio Carboni, his ex-girlfriend Manuela Kleinzig and Pippo Calo and Ernesto Diotallevi.

Carlo Calvi
Mr Calvi's son Carlo hopes the trial will shed light on what happened

Mr Calvi's family have always maintained he did not kill himself.

An initial inquest verdict of suicide was quashed and replaced with an open verdict, and the case has remained unsolved.

Correspondents have said a trial is likely to expose the murky Mafia underworld and financial scandals.

Prosecutors are expected to claim Calvi was killed to prevent him revealing secrets about Italy's political and religious establishment.

He had come to the UK on bail after having been convicted of corruption in Italy.

In 2002 forensic experts appointed by judges in Rome concluded Mr Calvi had been murdered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4566709.stm

(it took them 23 years to work that out - geniuses!)

mal

Mason indicted over murder of 'God's banker'
By John Phillips in Rome
Published: 20 July 2005

Magistrates investigating the death of the Italian banker Roberto Calvi under Blackfriars Bridge in London in 1982 are focusing on Licio Gelli, the former "grand master" of the illegal P2 Masonic lodge that plotted against Italian democracy in the 1970s.

Mr Gelli denies he was involved but has acknowledged that the financier, known as "God's banker" because of his links with the Vatican, was murdered. He said the killing was commissioned in Poland.

This is thought to be a reference to Calvi's alleged involvement in financing the Solidarity trade union movement at the request of the late Pope John Paul II, according to the sources quoted by La Repubblica newspaper.

Two Roman investigating magistrates, Judge Maria Monteleone and Judge Luca Tescaroli, sent Mr Gelli a judicial letter informing him that he is formally under investigation on charges of ordering the murder along with four other people - Flavio Carboni, a shadowy businessman with secret service contacts, his girlfriend Manuela Kleinsing, the Cosa Nostra boss Giuseppe Calo and an entrepreneur, Ernesto Dioatallevi. The four other suspects were indicted on murder charges in April and are to stand trial in October.

Investigators believe that Calvi was murdered as "punishment" for having used his position as head of the Banco Ambrosiano, then Italy's largest private bank, to seize large sums of money belonging to the Sicilian Mafia and to Mr Gelli.

The indictment also says that the five ordered Calvi's murder to prevent the banker "from using blackmail power against his political and institutional sponsors from the world of Masonry, belonging to the P2 lodge, or to the Institute for Religious Works [the Vatican Bank] with whom he had managed investments and financing with conspicuous sums of money, some of it coming from Cosa Nostra and public agencies".

Nearly 1,000 prominent public figures including businessmen such as the current Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, senior army and police officers, politicians and civil servants belonged to Mr Gelli's Propaganda Due (P2) clandestine Masonic lodge, dissolved in 1981 for plotting to establish an authoritarian regime.

When interrogated by magistrates in the presence of his lawyer on 4 July, Mr Gelli strongly denied having ordered the murder of Calvi, the sources said.

The former grand master said he had known Calvi since 1975 when he was introduced to him by Umberto Ortolani, another leading P2 member, but that he had few dealings with the Banco Ambrosiano, the collapse of which in 1982 sent Calvi fleeing to London.

The only dealing he had was in 1981 when he loaned $10m to the bank's Nassau subsidiary in the Bahamas, which was repaid to him one month later, he said.

"Calvi's death was made to look like suicide," he told the magistrates. Mr Gelli said the murder was related to Calvi's dealings with the Vatican Bank, which has always denied any moral responsibility in the Ambrosiano affair. "One evening I was at dinner with Calvi. He was angry, black in the face. He told me that the next day he had to go and see 'the most Holy one' in the Vatican to get $80m that he had to pay for bills relating to Poland and that if he did not get the money everything would blow up," Mr Gelli was quoted as saying in La Repubblica.

"This happened between 1979 and 1980, and that is why I said that to find Calvi's assassins one ought to have investigated in Poland," Mr Gelli was quoted as telling the magistrates.

Magistrates investigating the death of the Italian banker Roberto Calvi under Blackfriars Bridge in London in 1982 are focusing on Licio Gelli, the former "grand master" of the illegal P2 Masonic lodge that plotted against Italian democracy in the 1970s.

Mr Gelli denies he was involved but has acknowledged that the financier, known as "God's banker" because of his links with the Vatican, was murdered. He said the killing was commissioned in Poland.

This is thought to be a reference to Calvi's alleged involvement in financing the Solidarity trade union movement at the request of the late Pope John Paul II, according to the sources quoted by La Repubblica newspaper.

Two Roman investigating magistrates, Judge Maria Monteleone and Judge Luca Tescaroli, sent Mr Gelli a judicial letter informing him that he is formally under investigation on charges of ordering the murder along with four other people - Flavio Carboni, a shadowy businessman with secret service contacts, his girlfriend Manuela Kleinsing, the Cosa Nostra boss Giuseppe Calo and an entrepreneur, Ernesto Dioatallevi. The four other suspects were indicted on murder charges in April and are to stand trial in October.

Investigators believe that Calvi was murdered as "punishment" for having used his position as head of the Banco Ambrosiano, then Italy's largest private bank, to seize large sums of money belonging to the Sicilian Mafia and to Mr Gelli.

The indictment also says that the five ordered Calvi's murder to prevent the banker "from using blackmail power against his political and institutional sponsors from the world of Masonry, belonging to the P2 lodge, or to the Institute for Religious Works [the Vatican Bank] with whom he had managed investments and financing with conspicuous sums of money, some of it coming from Cosa Nostra and public agencies".

Nearly 1,000 prominent public figures including businessmen such as the current Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, senior army and police officers, politicians and civil servants belonged to Mr Gelli's Propaganda Due (P2) clandestine Masonic lodge, dissolved in 1981 for plotting to establish an authoritarian regime.

When interrogated by magistrates in the presence of his lawyer on 4 July, Mr Gelli strongly denied having ordered the murder of Calvi, the sources said.

The former grand master said he had known Calvi since 1975 when he was introduced to him by Umberto Ortolani, another leading P2 member, but that he had few dealings with the Banco Ambrosiano, the collapse of which in 1982 sent Calvi fleeing to London.

The only dealing he had was in 1981 when he loaned $10m to the bank's Nassau subsidiary in the Bahamas, which was repaid to him one month later, he said.

"Calvi's death was made to look like suicide," he told the magistrates. Mr Gelli said the murder was related to Calvi's dealings with the Vatican Bank, which has always denied any moral responsibility in the Ambrosiano affair. "One evening I was at dinner with Calvi. He was angry, black in the face. He told me that the next day he had to go and see 'the most Holy one' in the Vatican to get $80m that he had to pay for bills relating to Poland and that if he did not get the money everything would blow up," Mr Gelli was quoted as saying in La Repubblica.

"This happened between 1979 and 1980, and that is why I said that to find Calvi's assassins one ought to have investigated in Poland," Mr Gelli was quoted as telling the magistrates.

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article300322.ece

Calvi murder trial due to begin

Five people charged in connection with the alleged murder of Italian banker Roberto Calvi in London in 1982 are due before a security court in Rome.
One of them, Pippo Calo, a man known as "the Mafia's cashier", is already serving a life term in jail for unrelated Mafia crimes.

Calvi, dubbed "God's banker" because of his ties to the Vatican, was found hanging from Blackfriars Bridge.

Rome prosecutors reopened the case in 2002 after ruling out suicide.

Businessman Flavio Carboni, his former Austrian girlfriend Manuela Kleinzig and Ernesto Diotallevi were all charged in connection with Calvi's murder in April this year.

But a fifth person, Silvano Vittor, who acted as a driver and bodyguard for the banker on his last journey to London, was told he would stand trial only last week.

Along with Mr Carboni, he is believed to be the last person who saw Calvi alive.

His lawyer has already announced he will try to have the first hearing adjourned because he needs more time to prepare the defence.

'Suicide'
The defence lawyers' line is that Calvi took his own life.

"There isn't the slightest proof that it was a murder and there are many indications that it was suicide," AP news agency quoted Mr Carboni's lawyer, Renato Borzone, as saying.

They also argue the whole case is based on testimony by Mafia turncoats.

But investigators believe Calvi had been laundering money on behalf of the Mafia.

The bank he was the chairman of, the Banco Ambrosiano, had close ties to the Vatican and was on the brink of collapse following a devastating scandal.

Calo allegedly masterminded Calvi's murder for fear he might reveal secrets that would have harmed Italy's political and religious establishment.

Roberto Calvi was found hanging from scaffolding, his suit stuffed with bricks and thousands of pounds in cash.

At the time of his mysterious death, the 62-year-old financier was on bail after being convicted of corruption in Italy.
---------------------------
CALVI KEY DATES
1971: Becomes chairman of Banco Ambrosiano
1981: Convicted of corruption, but bailed pending appeal
11 June 1982: Leaves Italy with a suitcase of documents
18 June 1982: Body found
July 1982: Suicide verdict
July 1983: Open verdict at second inquest
1998: Calvi's body exhumed
Oct 2002: Forensic report says Calvi murdered
July 2003: Italian prosecutors name four suspects
Sept 2003: City of London Police re-open investigation
Mar 2004: Four appear at pre-trial hearing in Rome
April 2005: Four people charged with murder in Italy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4313960.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 38,00.html

Plea to Pope from 'God's banker' revealed as murder trial begins
From Richard Owen in Rome

Calvi's family has long insisted that he was murdered in 1982. They claim Mafia involvement (SYGMA)

ROBERTO CALVI, the Mafia-linked financier known as “God’s banker”, made a desperate last appeal to Pope John Paul II to save him from financial ruin shortly before he was found hanging from scaffolding under Blackfriars Bridge nearly a quarter of a century ago.
The disclosure emerged on the eve of the opening today of the trial in Rome of four people accused of murdering Calvi in June 1982. The first inquest, held a month after his death, ruled that Calvi, 62, had committed suicide. A second inquest, a year later, reached an open verdict.

But Calvi’s relatives — above all, his son, Carlo, a banker in Canada, and his widow, Carla — have maintained that he was murdered by Mafia gangsters to cover up the extent to which the Vatican Bank, which funded anti-communist causes in Eastern Europe and Latin America, was entangled with organised crime.

They also claim that an illegal masonic lodge, P2, to which Calvi belonged, was involved in the conspiracy.

After a review of the evidence, Italian judges — on the advice of forensic science experts who exhumed the banker’s remains — reopened the Calvi case as a murder inquiry two years ago. City of London police also reopened the case the same year, citing evidence that Calvi had been strangled.

The forensic science experts said that Calvi’s throat injuries were not consistent with suicide, that he had not climbed the scaffolding himself and that absence of brick dust indicated that his hands had not touched the bricks stuffed in his pockets to weigh down his body.

The accused are Flavio Carboni, a Sardinian businessman and associate of Calvi, Manuela Kleinszig, Signor Carboni’s Austrian former girlfriend, Pippo Calo, a convicted Sicilian Mafia boss nicknamed “the Cashier”, and Ernesto Diotallevi, a Rome businessman. The prosecution alleges that they lured Calvi to London on behalf of the Mafia, which wanted to punish him for failing to repay millions of pounds that he had agreed to launder.

Calvi’s body was discovered the day after he had been dismissed as chairman of Banco Ambrosiano, which collapsed with vast debts in Italy’s biggest postwar banking scandal.

Yesterday Ferruccio Pinotti, the author of Poteri Forti (Powerful Forces), a new book on the Calvi case, said that on June 5, 1982, two weeks before he died, Calvi had written to the Pope. The unpublished letter was made available to him by the Calvi family.

The letter reads: “I have thought a lot, Holiness, and have concluded that you are my last hope.” Calvi is said to have given warning to the pontiff that the collapse of the Banco Ambrosiano would “provoke a catastrophe of unimaginable proportions in which the Church will suffer the gravest damage”. He reminded the Pope that he had helped to fund many political and religious associations in both East and West that the Vatican supported, and had created banks in South America to fund the effort to halt the expansion of Marxist ideologies.

He said that he had been betrayed and abandoned by “the authority for which I have always shown the utmost respect and obedience” — meaning the Vatican — and said that he was the victim of enemies within the Church who were also conspiring against the Pope himself. In the letter, Calvi also said that he believed the Pope was being kept in the dark about the Vatican’s financial irregularities.

At the time of Calvi’s death the Banco Ambrosiano was owed billions of lire by Panamanian companies linked to the Vatican Bank, the Institute for Religious Works (IOR). After his death the Vatican denied legal responsibility for the collapse of Banco Ambrosiano but acknowledged moral involvement, paying out $241 million (£137 million) to creditors.

The accused are expected to deny the charges and to seek to embarrass the Vatican by calling as witnesses former Vatican officials involved in the Calvi affair. Among them is Archbishop Paul Marcinkus, 81, head of the IOR from 1971 to 1989, who now lives in Sun City, Arizona. They will argue that Calvi committed suicide because the Vatican reneged on promises to bail him out.

Renato Borzone, Signor Carboni’s lawyer, said that the prosecutors were relying on “phony testimony by Mafia turncoats” to make the case for murder. He said: “A new battle begins to find the truth on Calvi’s death.”

MONEY TRAIL

1946 Roberto Calvi joins Banco Ambrosiano, Catholic bank in Milan. Rises to become chairman in 1971, creates network of offshore shell companies. Close links to Vatican Bank

1981 Convicted of currency-trading violations, sentenced to four years’ imprisonment. Released pending appeal. Faces further charges of fraud arising from property deals

1982 Calvi flees to London in disguise on a false passport in June. Missing for nine days before his body is discovered under Blackfriars Bridge. Inquest reaches suicide verdict, changed a year later to open verdict. The day before Calvi is found dead, his secretary commits suicide in Milan by jumping off the fourth floor of the bank’s headquarters

1992 Rome magistrates reopen inquiry

1998 Body exhumed. Rome prosecutors advise Pippo Calo, Flavio Carboni, and Ernesto Diotallevi that they are under investigation

2001 Giuseppe Ferrara’s feature film God’s Bankers released. It shows Calvi being murdered by mafiosi in London

2005 Calo, Carboni and Diotallevi charged together with Manuela Kleinzig after Rome judges conclude in April that there is evidence Calvi was killed

Rome Murder Trial of Calvi, 'God's Banker,' May Show Darker Side of Italy

Nov. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Twenty-three years after Roberto Calvi's body was found hanging under London's Blackfriars Bridge, five people charged with the murder of the man dubbed ''God's Banker'' are on trial in Rome.

Prosecutors Luca Tescaroli and Maria Monteleone have charged jailed mobster Giuseppe ''Pippo'' Calo, Ernesto Diotallevi and three others for murder. The trial opened in a courthouse bunker on the outskirts of Rome today. A 1982 inquest in the U.K. ruled Calvi took his own life, while a second inquiry a year later failed to establish whether it was murder or suicide. ''A dark and unsettling chapter of Italian and British history will be revealed during the trial,'' said Tescaroli, the lead prosecutor in the case, in an interview Nov. 4 in his Rome office. ''It was a big mistake to say that he committed suicide. We found evidence that proves that Calvi was murdered.'' Calvi, who earned his nickname working with the Vatican, was the chairman and chief executive officer of Banco Ambrosiano, Italy's largest private bank before its collapse after he died in 1982. He was 62. Prosecutors say they will show that Ambrosiano helped unidentified individuals launder money and was at the center of a web that included the Mafia, the drugs trade, and the Vatican.

The trial has gripped the country because it may shed light on the role organized crime played in Italian life in the 1970s and 1980s. All the major national newspapers, including La Repubblica and Corriere della Sera, have run front page stories. ''There were many different kinds of interests represented in Ambrosiano,'' said Tescaroli, whose small office is lined with stacks of court files. ''There was the Vatican, the Mafia, Freemasons and politicians. This trial is going to tell just a part of all of these stories.'' 'Not Convinced' The Vatican, through a spokesman who asked not to be named, declined to comment. Nothing connects Calo to the crime, his lawyer Corrado Oliviero said after an initial hearing on Oct. 6. Calo, a convicted mob boss, is currently in prison. ''There's nothing that links my client to this crime, if it was a crime,'' said Carlo Taormina, Diotallevi's lawyer and a member of parliament for Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party. ''It's still a hypothesis as to whether it was a murder. I've never been convinced.'' The others charged are businessman Flavio Carboni, his ex- girlfriend Manuela Kleinszig and Silvano Vittor. ''The defense denies that there is certain proof that Roberto Calvi was murdered or that there was a crime,'' Carboni's lawyer Renato Borzone said in opening remarks today.

Kleinszig has denied any wrongdoing through her lawyer Ersilia Barracca. Vittor's lawyer Luigi Greco said his client denies the charges. 'Hidden Powers' It has taken prosecutors more than two decades to pull together enough evidence to bring the case to trial. Impetus came from a 2002 forensic report by German scientist Bernd Brinkmann, who said Calvi couldn't have killed himself and that he was murdered by strangulation.

Prosecutors say they will try to show that the Istituto per l'Opere di Religione, commonly known as the Vatican bank, was used as an ''offshore'' vehicle by Calvi's Banco Ambrosiano to export money. ''The ties between Calvi and the Vatican were profound,'' said Ferruccio Pinotti, author of ''Hidden Powers,'' a book published in October on Calvi's death. In 1984, the Vatican agreed to pay $241 million to Ambrosiano's creditors, without admitting any guilt in the bank's failure. The Vatican bank faces no charges in the Calvi trial.

Vatican bank head Archbishop Paul Marcinkus was a partner in the Bahamas-based Cisalpina Overseas Bank, founded in 1971, with Calvi and Michele Sindona, court papers show. Sindona was a banker linked to the Mafia who was killed by a poisoned espresso in 1986. The source of most of the money deposited in Cisalpina is unknown, prosecutors say, citing Bank of Italy inspectors. 'Your Holiness' ''What is certain is that the Vatican bank acted as a fiduciary shield and hidden partner in a very complex financial construction,'' said a report prepared by Bank of Italy inspector Francesco Giuffrida dated Sept. 27, 2004.

Pinotti in his book disclosed a letter Calvi wrote to Pope John Paul II on June 5, 1982, less than two weeks before his death, in which Calvi pleads for the pontiff's aid in saving Banco Ambrosiano.

In the letter, Calvi said he had acted ''in the interest of'' the Vatican to finance and provide weapons for Poland's Solidarnosc labor movement and other anti-communist groups in the Eastern Bloc and in South and Central America. ''Your Holiness, the collapse of Banco Ambrosiano would provoke a catastrophe of unimaginable proportions and the Church would suffer the brunt of the damage,'' Calvi wrote. Pinotti said he obtained the letter from people close to Calvi's family. Calvi 'Symbolic' The Mafia murdered Calvi because it no longer trusted him to launder their drug money, and because he had threatened to reveal their secrets, prosecutors say.

Italian mobsters used extortion, usury, fraud and theft to siphon 28 billion euros ($34 billion) from legal businesses in 2004, an increase of 17 percent, according to estimates by SOS Impresa, an association that fights corruption. ''Since World War II Italy's organized crime groups have played a role that extends beyond the regions of their birth,'' said Paolo Pezzino, a history professor at the University of Pisa and author of ''Mafie,'' a 1999 book on organized crime. ''The Calvi murder is symbolic. He was at the center of a web of interests that tied the financial system to organized crime.'' Prosecutors condensed two-and-a-half decades of investigations and trials that produced 150,000 pages of information into their 316-page report dated Dec. 28, 2004.

Tescaroli and Monteleone also built their case on new evidence, including testimony from Mafia turncoat Antonino Giuffre. Giuffre was head of the Caccamo clan of the Sicilian Mafia, known to insiders as ''Cosa Nostra.'' He was captured on April 16, 2002, and turned state's witness on June 19, 2002. ''Within Cosa Nostra, we had some big laughs when we read the newspapers that gave the news that Calvi had committed suicide,'' Giuffre said on Dec. 4, 2003. ''Cosa Nostra's problems get resolved in only one way: by elimination.''

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pi ... .bn4S79EZA

Back