• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Any Godzilla fans out there? Favourite films? I like Tokyo S.O.S and any involving Mothra.

Godzilla vs Mothra is my favourite, it has a magical, weird quality that is genuinely alien. Though I must admit a soft spot for the real odd man out, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, which is one of the nuttiest sci-fi movies ever made, even more so for its painful sincerity.

I dont remember the names of some, but i loved Godzilla, very funny, especially when he trod on his sons tail to make him breathe radioactive breath :p

Shall i call the ambulance now ? :p

We took him too the vets as his breath stinks. Nothing wrong with him, beautiful white gnashers. He is the fastest thing on four legs when he's out hunting. I'm just glad he's not that interested in birds just rats, mice and, *sigh rabbits.

Those reports of a King KongGodzilla match-up have been confirmed, as Legendary Pictures has announced that Godzilla Vs Kong is on their slate for a 2020 release.

The studio stated they are teaming up with Warner Bros to create a shared monster universe linked by the Monarch organisation (represented by scientists Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins in Godzilla), where Gojira and Kong can slug it out on the big screen once more.

This new universe is described as an “epic, new shared cinematic franchise. All-powerful monsters become towering heroes for a new generation, revealing a mythology that brings together Godzilla and Legendary’s King Kong in an ecosystem of other giant super-species, both classic and new. Monarch, the human organization that uncovered Godzilla in the 2014 film, will expand their mission across multiple releases.”

What’s also exciting is that the site also reiterates that Legendary has the rights to other classic Toho monsters, including Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah…

But next up is Kong: Skull Island, which is finally given a confirmed cast list in the same report: Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L Jackson, Brie Larson, John Goodman, Tian Jing, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, John Ortiz, Shea Whigham, and Toby Kebbell. Production will begin on 18 October for a 10 March 2017 release date. Godzilla 2 is set for 8 June 2018.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/godzilla-vs-kong-confirmed-other-classic-monsters-coming/

Godzilla vs Mothra is my favourite, it has a magical, weird quality that is genuinely alien. Though I must admit a soft spot for the real odd man out, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, which is one of the nuttiest sci-fi movies ever made, even more so for its painful sincerity.

I like the scene where the smog monster is "smoking" the factory chimneys - the first (and only?) time a monster in Godzilla is, for want of a better term, smoking a bong!

I also have a special fondness for Godzilla vs Mothra. I particularly liked the little fairies who sang the song to summon Mothra ::D

Having a family full of boys, Godzilla and assorted Japanese monster movies have never been out of rotation at our house. (Yeah, I'm saying this as a girl who faithfully watched the Japanese Creature Feature film every Saturday afternoon as a child, but I was a bit of an outlier among my friends) Zigra was the stuff of nightmares!

Amusingly, a town we often passed through on our travels, called Gonzales, was charmingly mispronounced as "Godzillis" by one of our kids. We still refer to it by that name today.:p

Love Mothra's "twin fairy" women - different women every time, but still brilliant. As is the anti-pollution song at the beginning of Godzilla vs Smog Monster...

The new Japanese Gojira gets a teaser:

Well, you hear his dulcet tones.

But next up is Kong: Skull Island, which is finally given a confirmed cast list in the same report: Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L Jackson, Brie Larson, John Goodman, Tian Jing, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, John Ortiz, Shea Whigham, and Toby Kebbell. Production will begin on 18 October for a 10 March 2017 release date. Godzilla 2 is set for 8 June 2018.
That sounds like a remake of the Jack Black version of King Kong (which featured Skull Island).

Bring on the quality Monster Movies! Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera...

That sounds like a remake of the Jack Black version of King Kong (which featured Skull Island).

Skull Island dates back to the original King Kong in 1933. It's also the place the Sumatran rat monkey strikes to set off the zombie virus at the beginning of Jackson's Braindead.

Soniasuponia ‏@Soniasuponia 40m40 minutes ago
An old illustration of how actor Kenpachiro Satsuma would fit inside the 1989 Godzilla suit.

CY7qJamWYAAA8_J.jpg

I like the film Invasion of the Astro Monster where nefarious aliens borrow Godzilla to supposedly help them battle a monster on their home planet, then take advantage of his absence to invade Earth. Moral: Godzilla is not for lending.

Also that 70s one with Jet Jaguar in. It's a shame he never returned.

Does anyone remember the Godzilla fighting videogame? I think it was on the PS2. Quite clunky but entertaining in two player. All the classic monsters were in it and you could stomp around throwing skyscrapers at each other.

I like the film Invasion of the Astro Monster where nefarious aliens borrow Godzilla to supposedly help them battle a monster on their home planet, then take advantage of his absence to invade Earth. Moral: Godzilla is not for lending.

Also that 70s one with Jet Jaguar in. It's a shame he never returned.

Does anyone remember the Godzilla fighting videogame? I think it was on the PS2. Quite clunky but entertaining in two player. All the classic monsters were in it and you could stomp around throwing skyscrapers at each other.

I loved Jet Jaguar, hope he returns sometime soon!

A man in a rubber suit - now that is how you make a Godzilla movie!

I am fair weak at the knees at the thought of a new Japanese Godzilla movie...

Not sure why I didn't notice this thread before. I too admit a great love for all the cheesy Inohiro Honda monster movies of the late 50's-early 60's. A favorite not mentioned upthread, because it's off topic (no actual Godzilla, but it's a Honda) is Attack of the Mushroom People. It's like an extremely weird template for Gilligan's Island. Another goody is Destroy all Monsters, wherein all the Earth Monsters are good guys, living in retirement on Monster Island, are summoned to defend Earth from space monsters.
On the other hand, the original Gojira is a somber movie that should be taken seriously. It's a moving story about the horror of the atom bomb.

Honda was a good friend of Akira Kurosawa, and helped out on the action scenes in the latter's 80s "Shakespeare meets the apocalypse" classic Ran.

The Man Who Was Godzilla
Haruo Nakajima is perhaps Japan’s most famous actor, but you wouldn’t necessarily recognize his face. That’s because from 1954 to 1972, he was the man inside the Godzilla costume for 12 consecutive films. At 87 years old, many now consider Nakajima among the most iconic suit actors in film history. We caught up with the legend who gave life to the "King of the Monsters" to find out how he took on the challenge in the original groundbreaking movie.

Back