• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hong Kong makes largest-ever gold smuggling bust​

_133101503_hongkonggold2.jpg.webp

Hong Kong authorities have made the city's largest ever gold smuggling bust, seizing 146kg of the precious metal disguised as machine parts.

The haul is estimated to be worth more than $10m (£8m) and was intercepted last month on route to Japan.

Full story on BBC News
They'd clearly been watching The Champions episode with Peter Wyngarde - it didn't work for the smugglers in that episode either.

https://archivetvmusings.blog/2020/01/03/the-champions-the-invisible-man/

You had me puzzled then.
While I've not seen all Champions episodes (though used to watch the series as a kid), I've got the DVD box set of Department S, and I racked my memory for any crossover. :D

You had me puzzled then.
While I've not seen all Champions episodes (though used to watch the series as a kid), I've got the DVD box set of Department S, and I racked my memory for any crossover. :D
Not a crossover between the two, but I guessed they shared a lot of actors. The Invisible Man episode also features a young and uncredited Dave Prowse working out in a gym.

The great Peter Wyngarde is the lead criminal, a doctor who puts small implants in people's ears so he can control them, including to smuggle £10m worth of gold to Europe.

As you do…

Is it a scam?

The organisers of lantern festival events set to take place in Birmingham and London in the summer have denied suggestions they are a scam.

A trading standards investigation was launched after concerns were raised by those who had bought tickets as exact locations had not been confirmed. The release of lanterns on council-owned land is prohibited due to fire risks and potential harm to the environment, Birmingham City Council has said.

However, a spokesperson for Lantern Festival UK has said the event has been "carefully planned" and would take place on private land.

The event has been advertised as "the UK's first ever lantern festival" where hundreds of lanterns are released into the night sky followed by fireworks. On its pre-sale registration page, more than 46,000 people had filled in a form to be notified when tickets were available, the host said. Prices start at £35 for an individual, £50 for two people and £75 for a group of four.

Due to a lack of information on the firm's website, Keira Guise who purchased two tickets for £50 told the BBC that she feared she would not get her money back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj7m5z212pyo

I thought people were being discouraged letting off those pathetic lanterns. After all, it's dangerous littering.
Couldn't the council prevent the event happening because of this?
Although I'm sure some prats would respond with 'health and safety gone mad!', 'bloody spoilsports', 'it's only paper lanterns' etc. After all, I imagine such an event appeals to such thinking.

Back