• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Good Eggs 'N Bad Eggs

My favourite is poached eggs on crumpets. The crumpet is designed so that butter melts and runs into the holes but with my incredible unique recipe, the egg yolk also soaks in and is delicious. That’s my recipe. No stealing it.
Crumpets with butter, and poached eggs, are both glories of the universe - not sure I fancy combining them but you never know...

Wonderful.

I prefer Duck eggs but then I do.

Chickens eggs are best fried. Ducks come out hard.

Goose eggs are like ducks but seasonable and far more expensive.

Turkey eggs are a bit musky.

Ostrich or Rheas eggs far too big!

edit: my other point is that a lot of people enjoy runny-yolks. Does anyone here know of anyone who has ever had salmonella poisoning (or whatever it does) as I've never met anyone to my knowledge who has suffered. Is it more than a notional risk?
Salmonella is truly horrible. I've heard people say it's the most ill they've ever felt and they'd wanted to die.

As has been mentioned, the danger is mainly from contamination of the shells. I've never washed eggs before cooking them but I bet anyone who's had salmonella does. If they'll even have eggs in the house, that is.

Because duck eggs have larger pores than hen eggs they used to be notorious for passing on salmonella. Old household management books warn sternly against buying or eating them.

Being an unreformed and atavistic discriminatory monster, I allow Mrs Yith to deal with the bulk of the non-toast based cooking, but if there's an egg to be fried I manfully step up as though it were barbecue season. Spectators may scoff as the eggs scarcely stay in one place for more than five seconds and I'm constantly flicking traces of oil onto the whites, but the result is utterly uniform: no transparent film, very slight crunch at the edge and a yolk that is bottom third thick and top two-thirds gooey liquid.

*Assumes exaggerated French accent*

"You saleevate, but you can't reesist!"
I had you down as a 'Steak Tartare' kind of chap.

I pretty much do the same as rynner2 said on post 26, except I do time them (10 minutes) for hard boiled, but not too hard boiled. I also usually do 5-6 at a time and they're fine in the fridge for 3-4 days.

I had you down as a 'Steak Tartare' kind of chap.

Always a stickler for tradition, I don't own a horse with which to tenderise it.

I also haven't eaten any non water-dwelling creature for... twenty years now.

Amazingly, now I do the maths.

And I went out with a Zinger Tower Burger on New Year's Eve. Could have been worse, but probably could have been quite a bit better, too. The problem is that I only expected to last a few weeks, not two decades.

Because duck eggs have larger pores than hen eggs they used to be notorious for passing on salmonella. Old household management books warn sternly against buying or eating them.
The wise old women of the Village told me to NEVER bake with duck eggs (as opposed to hen eggs) - although they were less clear as to the reason. Something about the richer yolk making sponges more soggy maybe. All the baking pundits on the Net now say that all the cholesterol in the egg white make duck eggs the preferred choice for meringues and fluffy sponges. Of course now I no longer have a fresh source of said eggs.

Ditto Kinder eggs.

I was at a Serious Conference and having done my session treated myself to a Kinder Egg.

The toy was a surprisingly decent magnifing glass which had to be assembled. Ut ended up as a rather pleasing green turtle with the lens being protected within the shell.

I was working away at the construction and realised that people were looking at me. So much for serious professional image!

But next coffee break there were a handful of people with them, and more the next day. Some of us still have the toys!

I was at a Serious Conference and having done my session treated myself to a Kinder Egg.

The toy was a surprisingly decent magnifing glass which had to be assembled. Ut ended up as a rather pleasing green turtle with the lens being protected within the shell.

I was working away at the construction and realised that people were looking at me. So much for serious professional image!

But next coffee break there were a handful of people with them, and more the next day. Some of us still have the toys!
In my first job in software, pretty much the whole office had a collection on their desks. I gave mine away when I left.
After I'd left, I heard that the big boss walked around and put a ban on the use of desk space for the toys.

Just found out that Kinder Surprise eggs were banned in the States until fairly recently as the toy is not a foodstuff.

The article said that a new version was going to be launched a couple of years ago, where the plastic egg is sealed - which circumvents the law.

I don't know if it happened or not?

Also from the same piece, I learnt that haggis is banned in the USA as it's illegal to eat lungs.

I may have mentioned this in another thread, but eggs in the US are kept refrigerated because they are washed before shipping. The American egg industry apparently feels this is more economical than keeping the production lines cleaner. I think this is the source of more fear surrounding undercooked eggs. Various communities, including the entire state of New Jersey IIRC, have at times banned restaurants from serving runny yolks, but this is usually reversed in a short amount of time after public outcry.

Kinder Surprise is not available because the toy and capsule are completely surrounded by chocolate, and therefore are inedible "ingredients". Kinder Joy, which has half an egg of chocolate and half an egg of toy capsule, is widely available.

The ban on lung meat goes back to 1971, but I could swear I saw at least pot haggis on menus years after that. Can you make a decent haggis without lungs?
The ban does not extend to pet food, so some enterprising company might find a way to sneak it in with the right labeling.

Kinder Surprise is not available because the toy and capsule are completely surrounded by chocolate, and therefore are inedible "ingredients".
It's those bloody three year olds cramming everything around them into their mouths and their parents expecting the world to change to accommodate their choking little shits darlings. I want small plastic toys re-inserted in my box of cereal and the removal of child-proof caps and blister packs on medicine for rheumatoid athritis. I want childhood to be full of surprise and danger. And that includes warm eggs and BSE riddled haggis. Merry Xmas.

It's those bloody three year olds cramming everything around them into their mouths and their parents expecting the world to change to accommodate their choking little shits darlings. I want small plastic toys re-inserted in my box of cereal and the removal of child-proof caps and blister packs on medicine for rheumatoid athritis. I want childhood to be full of surprise and danger. And that includes warm eggs and BSE riddled haggis. Merry Xmas.
I'm told the ban on Kinder Surprise has nothing to do with the choking hazard - which could be handled by the same warning that's on Kinder Joy - but is based in food purity law. The plastic, being contained by the chocolate, is considered in the same way it would be if it were ground up and added as filler. I don't know how true that is; God knows there are plenty of things in American food that's less healthy than plastic. Or sheep lungs.

Being an unreformed and atavistic discriminatory monster, I allow Mrs Yith to deal with the bulk of the non-toast based cooking, but if there's an egg to be fried I manfully step up as though it were barbecue season. Spectators may scoff as the eggs scarcely stay in one place for more than five seconds and I'm constantly flicking traces of oil onto the whites, but the result is utterly uniform: no transparent film, very slight crunch at the edge and a yolk that is bottom third thick and top two-thirds gooey liquid.

*Assumes exaggerated French accent*

"You saleevate, but you can't reesist!"
That's exactly how I fry an egg as well. I've started eating fried egg on untoasted bread because I value a runny yolk and a slice of untoasted bread soaks up the yolk better.

Salmonella is truly horrible. I've heard people say it's the most ill they've ever felt and they'd wanted to die.

As has been mentioned, the danger is mainly from contamination of the shells. I've never washed eggs before cooking them but I bet anyone who's had salmonella does. If they'll even have eggs in the house, that is.

Funnily enough, our local health agency recommends you don’t wash eggs, saying it’s more likely to spread any salmonella to the inside of the egg.

Funnily enough, our local health agency recommends you don’t wash eggs, saying it’s more likely to spread any salmonella to the inside of the egg.
Yup, but people who've had that sort of experience might feel it necessary. If they'll even have eggs in the house, as I mentioned.
It's not about being rational.

They used to say that you should wash chicken too (I never did) and then changed their minds for the same reasons.

I am a lover of the humble egg. Look at it: perfection made egg.

fried_eggs.jpg

Like fluffy clouds topped with smiley suns!

They're a hugely versatile ingredient and I consume them daily with no discernible issues, a standard waistline and normal levels of cholesterol. But a few conversations have given me pause for thought. The first, simply, that they contain too much cholesterol to consume daily - is this true?

Second, and more mysteriously, as a sometime ex-pat I've met a lot of people from a lot of places, and a number of Americans, in particular, seem to have a fear of runny yolks; one bordering on horror. There's a dish of which I am fond which is served in a insanely-hot stone bowl with a raw egg left to fry on the top of the food. I recall being asked, by two separate Americans, whether I was seriously going to eat it (whilst I was in the process of cheerily mixing in the runny mixture). I know there's the whole salmonella risk, but having grown up eating eggs straight from our chickens to the frying pan, I've never really taken this seriously, and I've not had any associated hospital visits over the decades... I also reasoned that people have been eating eggs for rather a long time, and they've never featured highly on my personal list of risk.

Has there been a big public-health warning stateside, or something? Oddly, something has always distracted me from asking intelligent follow-up questions, but a couple of years back one girl I know actually refused her dinner on the grounds that the egg was insufficiently cooked and, hence, dangerous.

To me a hard yolk is always a disappointment; a reminder of the gooey-ness that could have been...
In Hong Kong people seem to only trust Japanese eggs to be eaten raw, for whatever reason. So if you're making Udon with a raw egg on it, make sure it's a Japanese egg. In general, people distrust produce from mainland China, and I get it, having seen some farming conditions there which were not overly sanitary.

So today, having never had soiled eggs before, I noticed that one I was breaking for breakfast was badly besmirched.
Gave it a wash in the sink before breaking and frying it. No problems so far.

I'm still intent on learning to cook onsen tamago, or onsen eggs.
Essentially, they're eggs poached in the shell in 'almost' boiling water. They should turn out with a nicely firm white and a still-runny but cooked yolk.
Managed it occasionally, but I have difficulty in cracking open the egg and removing the shell without splitting the cooked egg, which spoils the effect really.

I thought I had posted my favourite way with eggs, on this thread but it seems not. I have just had some for tea.

Ramekin poached eggs with mustard. Take a good knob of butter and a teaspoon of made English mustard, allow the mix to coat the sides of your ramekin, which sits in the saucepan, boiling water up to about half way. Crack in two fresh eggs and cover, letting it clatter away happily for ten to twelve minutes*. The eggs should tip out in one piece with a tasty mustard sauce on top. No need for further seasoning.

Eat with fingers of toast. :loveu:

*The timing is a bit of an art, being dependent on the size and age of the eggs. I make the dish, usually, when the eggs are "fresh" as from the supermarket. Ten minutes might be a bit long, if you have access to really fresh eggs. My goal is set whites with the yolks still runny.

Ready-made mustard is what I use for this dish, since it is already seasoned. I am annoyed to find it usually contains wheat-flour! I seem to tolerate it anyway.

Last edited:
I'm still intent on learning to cook onsen tamago, or onsen eggs.
Essentially, they're eggs poached in the shell in 'almost' boiling water. They should turn out with a nicely firm white and a still-runny but cooked yolk.
Managed it occasionally, but I have difficulty in cracking open the egg and removing the shell without splitting the cooked egg, which spoils the effect really.
You might want to try eggs that are a bit older, they peel more easily.

Is that not the same as coddling?

As far as I can see onsen eggs are poached in their shell, whereas coddling requires it poached in a ramekin.
You can 'oven coddle' eggs in air fryers.

Back