Good News / Happy News / Uplifting News

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
This is a cool story, two women are swept out from a beach in their kayak in Portugal, a man tries to help right the kayak and a 71 year old man swims out to assist them. He is Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, the President.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53810463rie

The president had just spoken to journalists at Praia do Alvor beach when he noticed the women struggling.

Video footage caught the moment he swam into the sea to assist them. Another man was already there, trying to help turn the canoe over while a person on a jet ski also approached to offer help.

The man on the jet ski then managed to tow the kayak back to the shore.
they will be dining out on that one for a while!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is wonderful news:

Africa declared free of wild polio in 'milestone'
Africa has been declared free from wild polio by the independent body, the Africa Regional Certification Commission.

Polio usually affects children under five, sometimes leading to irreversible paralysis. Death can occur when breathing muscles are affected.

Twenty-five years ago thousands of children in Africa were paralysed by the virus.

The disease is now only found in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

There is no cure but the polio vaccine protects children for life.

Nigeria is the last African country to be declared free from wild polio, having accounted for more than half of all global cases less than a decade ago.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53887947

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That is excellent news, nice to hear about vaccination making a positive difference instead of the basis of superstition.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
All of these are cheerful news tbh, I like the train one at 3:25 .. there is no swearing at all so turn this up loud ..

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This could well go in the Fortean Headlines thread, but she said ''Yes'', so it's a happy news story:

Man slammed for proposing to girlfriend while she was on the toilet
They say love knows no bounds, and clearly this bloke took that saying literally during his proposal as his girlfriend sat on a toilet.

Most people dream of the perfect proposal, with romance and thoughtfulness often in mind.

But one bloke has been slammed after allegedly popping the question while his girlfriend was on the toilet – and they even bought a sex swing to celebrate.
The moment was caught on camera, seemingly by the loved up bride-to-be, who then shared snaps online in a wedding shaming Facebook group.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...t/news-story/762d13250b1701559bafad2c2cc41921

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
'Rubbish' pet portraits raise £5k for homeless

A father from West Sussex has raised nearly £5,000 for a homeless charity by drawing "rubbish" pictures of pets.

It all started when Phil - who operates under the spoof alias "acclaimed artist Hercule Van Wolfwinkle" - doodled his pet dog while colouring with his son.

He put it on Facebook and offered commissions at a joke price of £299, but genuine requests flooded his inbox.

"I think people just found them funny, at a time when there's not loads to smile about," he said.

People were keen to pay him something, but he said: "I couldn't take their money - the pictures are rubbish. So I set up a Just Giving page and suggested people donate instead."

In five weeks demand for his doodles boomed and the 38-year-old raised £4,903 for Turning Tides, a charity which supports rough sleepers and aims to help them out of homelessness.

1603197761375.png

1603197761598.png

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A teacher from a village school in India, praised for improving the education of girls, has won this year's Global Teacher Prize.
But Ranjitsinh Disale has already given away half of the $1m (£750,000) - sharing it with runners-up in the competition.

News story

See? It is possible to do good in this world.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
The Christmas lights in Newburgh are designed by children. They enter a competition and a new one is chosen and made every year. They are adorable!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55131048

I can't decide between the turkey and the christmas tree.

Isla Ferguson, who is 15 now, won the competition in 2011 when she was in primary two.
She said: "I was inspired to draw an angel after playing the role of an angel in the school nativity. I also wanted to do a design that the town didn't have already.
"It is a big competition in the school as everyone really wants to have their drawings come to life and light up the town every year. When you do win you get to switch on the lights, there is a countdown and you just feel like the local celebrity.
"I got told I had won at a Christmas assembly in school, it was such a surprise. I was rewarded with a trophy which was engraved with my name. I got to switch on the lights at the middle of the town where the locals gather every year.
Even though it is nine years since she won the competition and she is now 15, Isla says she still feels proud when her light goes up each year.
She said: "I hope to continue to see them when I'm older so I can have that connection to the town and community. I hope we will still be able to keep them up for a long time and get new winners."

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Billy Monger takes on 140-mile Comic Relief challenge

_116879890_hi065588728.jpg

A racing driver who had both legs amputated after a crash is to walk, cycle and kayak 140 miles (225km) in four days for Comic Relief.

Billy Monger was critically injured in an accident in 2017 aged 16, but was back behind the wheel within a year .

He is set to start on 22 February, finishing at the Brands Hatch circuit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-55996052

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a brief outbreak of posts concerning the news that Shamima Begum had not been granted an appeal, with the reactions an entirely predictable mixture of glee and sadness. I have extracted these posts, and archived them. Why? Because we had a thread devoted to Shamima Begum two years ago, when she last hit the headlines. She is an incredibly divisive figure, and the overall issue itself whilst superficially simple is in fact very complicated, and how the discussion is approached much depends on personal views: whilst this holds for most discussions this one has all kinds of other factors thrown in (radicalisation, grooming, age of consent and responsibility..) each of which in isolation have a Fortean angle, in this particular combination however it makes the sum of the parts more toxic than enlightening. The thread to which I refer went nuclear almost immediately, despite our best efforts to keep it civil, and we we had no alternative but to withdraw the thread from view.

It's rare we do this, and we do try our best to facilitate discussions about a very broad range of issues (politics excepted), but I am declaring further discussion of Shamima Begum off-limits until further notice. Any posts about her will be removed, and persistent offenders will be warned. This is not up for discussion. I will copy this post to Website Issues.

Happy News thread reopened.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Great that he didn't cook the goose.

Vid at link.

Trapped goose rescued from mud in Birmingham park lake

Footage shared on social media shows a man rescue a stranded goose which had got stuck in mud in a Birmingham park. The bird was trapped in Cannon Hill Park's boating lake, which is currently drained of water as essential work is being carried out. The unidentified man waded through the thick mud to help the trapped bird which has now been released to freedom.

Published2 days ago

Section BBC News Subsection Birmingham & Black Country

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-56541069

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Captain Sir Tom Moore: Street artist creates Manchester mural

Street artist Akse P19 painted the artwork in tribute to the 100-year-old, who died on 2 February after contracting coronavirus.

The mural has been painted on the corner of Tib Street and Thomas Street in the city's Northern Quarter.

Akse P19 is the artist behind a number of murals in the city including a tribute to NHS workers and George Floyd, who died after being arrested in the US in May.

The street artist also created a mural to footballer Marcus Rashford in Withington in recognition of the Manchester United star's successful campaign to extend free school meals.

Captain Sir Tom Moore mural

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Native oysters, on the brink of extinction, have been reintroduced to the Firth of Clyde

"Oysters have been reintroduced to the Firth of Clyde as part of a restoration project to bring them back from the brink of extinction.

Some 1,300 native oysters have been suspended below pontoons in Largs Yacht Haven and Fairlie Quay Marina.

The native oyster (Ostrea edulis) is a marine bivalve mollusc found in Scotland mainly on the west and north coasts.

Populations have declined 95% since the 1800s."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57100258

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A sixteen-year-old thread for good news, and it has five posts in it.

Human nature, eh?

maximus otter

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Native oysters, on the brink of extinction, have been reintroduced to the Firth of Clyde

"Oysters have been reintroduced to the Firth of Clyde as part of a restoration project to bring them back from the brink of extinction.

Some 1,300 native oysters have been suspended below pontoons in Largs Yacht Haven and Fairlie Quay Marina.

The native oyster (Ostrea edulis) is a marine bivalve mollusc found in Scotland mainly on the west and north coasts.

Populations have declined 95% since the 1800s."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57100258
Something slightly odd about attempting to bring them back from extinction with a restoration project in the vicinity of a nuclear power station.