Good Posting Practices

I have been guilty of this on occasion. Perhaps if the off topic stuff was deleted it would prevent replies. On the Iran thread comments about Trump's economic policies continue even after five requests for it to cease. No doubt someone will see them next week and respond yet again.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
I have been guilty of this on occasion. Perhaps if the off topic stuff was deleted it would prevent replies. On the Iran thread comments about Trump's economic policies continue even after five requests for it to cease. No doubt someone will see them next week and respond yet again.
It is easy to get 'riled up' about stuff (and I probably have, at times).

I'd like to spend more time in the non-chat areas, but I find that when I read a lot of the Fortean threads, I don't always know what to say to contribute (there are a lot of posters a lot more knowledgeable and intelligent than me) so I often refrain from replying because of some misguided fear of looking stupid.:glum:

Should I just wade in, anyway?

Whereas in the chat threads, it is perhaps easier for people to contribute. Which is not necessarily a good thing, as things get out of hand!

I for one, would not like to see these boards go downhill.

I wouldn't like to see the chat threads disappear completely though, as they do have their place. But if there was a way of making the Fortean stuff more... I dunno, prominent? (not that it already isn't, but... oh jeez I'm waffling again. I know what I'm trying to say.)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It is easy to get 'riled up' about stuff (and I probably have, at times).

I'd like to spend more time in the non-chat areas, but I find that when I read a lot of the Fortean threads, I don't always know what to say to contribute (there are a lot of posters a lot more knowledgeable and intelligent than me) so I often refrain from replying because of some misguided fear of looking stupid.:glum:

Should I just wade in, anyway?

Whereas in the chat threads, it is perhaps easier for people to contribute. Which is not necessarily a good thing, as things get out of hand!

I for one, would not like to see these boards go downhill.

I wouldn't like to see the chat threads disappear completely though, as they do have their place. But if there was a way of making the Fortean stuff more... I dunno, prominent? (not that it already isn't, but... oh jeez I'm waffling again. I know what I'm trying to say.)
I look for new comments and sift according to how interested I am in the subjects. Whether they're in Chat or not makes not difference.
Certain subjects (sport, UFOs or the Royals for example) will never catch my eye.

How knowledgeable or intelligent anyone is compared to other posters makes no difference. Is everyone else on'ere but me out saving the world? No, they're on'ere. Typing and bickering and bantering. MENSA it is not.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Heck, I look stupid more or less 24 hours a day, but if something baffles you, it doesn't hurt to ask questions, and if it's a baffling subject anyway (as is often the case, comes with the territory) then maybe we'll make a little progress.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Heck, I look stupid more or less 24 hours a day, but if something baffles you, it doesn't hurt to ask questions, and if it's a baffling subject anyway (as is often the case, comes with the territory) then maybe we'll make a little progress.
Asking questions is a way to learn, no one should put anyone down for wanting to learn. Forteana is a broad field and most of us do not devote our entire lives to it so there will be gaps in knowledge, nothing wrong with asking for help to fill those gaps.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
I also think that it is /fine/ to chew over the same ground again. Nobody forces anyone to take part of the next iteration.

Things change, we change, new people arrive....

I like it when someone says - "here's a link to intersting and relevant stiff we said in a different thread".

I do not like it when someone says "not this again! if you used the search function (it's very easy, you really should try it) you'll find that we have already dealt with this a couple of decades ago."

Frides

Schrodinger's Zebra

Yes! I set a shining example here :) I'm always asking for explanations, clarifications, beginner's guildes and so on!
Thank you :)

I look for new comments and sift according to how interested I am in the subjects. Whether they're in Chat or not makes not difference.
Certain subjects (sport, UFOs or the Royals for example) will never catch my eye.
Makes sense, and that's how I approach it, too :)

IHow knowledgeable or intelligent anyone is compared to other posters makes no difference. Is everyone else on'ere but me out saving the world? No, they're on'ere. Typing and bickering and bantering. MENSA it is not.
Asking questions is a way to learn, no one should put anyone down for wanting to learn. Forteana is a broad field and most of us do not devote our entire lives to it so there will be gaps in knowledge, nothing wrong with asking for help to fill those gaps.
Thanks all :)

Schrodinger's Zebra

I also think that it is /fine/ to chew over the same ground again. Nobody forces anyone to take part of the next iteration.

Things change, we change, new people arrive....

I like it when someone says - "here's a link to intersting and relevant stiff we said in a different thread".

I do not like it when someone says "not this again! if you used the search function (it's very easy, you really should try it) you'll find that we have already dealt with this a couple of decades ago."

Frides
On a slightly related note, I'm determined to make a concerted effort to read (and get involved in) some of the more Fortean stuff on here (rather than hiding in the chat threads for the majority of time). Which inevitably means old threads that I haven't really read before (or at least I'm not up-to-date on).

So... if I come across a thread which hasn't had replies for a while, is it ok to reply to it? Is that the done thing? Or is there a sort of limit on length of time since last replied, etc.?

EDIT: And is it ok to 'like' old posts? (Which I will admit to doing, as I'm reading old threads).

henry

still speeding
the function of the board has changed, its like facebook to a fair few posters ... everyones online more ... instead of focussing on areas of the board that are of specific interest the tendency is to reply to the lot, generates a corpus of casual comments ... i personally wish i could filter my view down to the 2 or 3 boards i have an affinity with

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
On a slightly related note, I'm determined to make a concerted effort to read (and get involved in) some of the more Fortean stuff on here (rather than hiding in the chat threads for the majority of time). Which inevitably means old threads that I haven't really read before (or at least I'm not up-to-date on).

So... if I come across a thread which hasn't had replies for a while, is it ok to reply to it? Is that the done thing? Or is there a sort of limit on length of time since last replied, etc.?

EDIT: And is it ok to 'like' old posts? (Which I will admit to doing, as I'm reading old threads).
Actively encouraged!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yup, wake up old threads! Newer posters might not be aware of them.

In fact the practice is called 'bumping' and we have a smiley for it.

:bump:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Excellent thank you @escargot and @gordonrutter .

Brace yourselves for a slew of old threads being bumped in the coming weeks then :D

I had replied already to a couple of oldish threads that I'd read recently, then I started to wonder whether it was ok or not, so now seemed a good time to ask. (Worried I might be annoying people by giving them an alert saying I liked something they'd said 3 years ago and had forgotten all about...)

Schrodinger's Zebra

If they're upset that's their problem. Go for it. Do it all the more in fact.
Ahh, you say that now, but when I dredge up all your posts from since the beginning of time, you'll be all "oh not that bloody Zebs again, liking all my posts" whilst simultaneously drowning in a sea of "Schrodinger's Zebra liked your post in the thread..." alerts.

;P

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Ahh, you say that now, but when I dredge up all your posts from since the beginning of time, you'll be all "oh not that bloody Zebs again, liking all my posts" whilst simultaneously drowning in a sea of "Schrodinger's Zebra liked your post in the thread..." alerts.

;P
Come at me.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The main problem I find in old posts is thinking "Gawd, I sounded like such an arse there!" But if I sounded like an arse years ago, then there's nothing I can do about it now. So revive old threads all you like, Zebs. This forum can be a treasure trove of weirdness.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Excellent thank you @escargot and @gordonrutter .

Brace yourselves for a slew of old threads being bumped in the coming weeks then :D

I had replied already to a couple of oldish threads that I'd read recently, then I started to wonder whether it was ok or not, so now seemed a good time to ask. (Worried I might be annoying people by giving them an alert saying I liked something they'd said 3 years ago and had forgotten all about...)
I was going to reply to someone the other day then realised their post was from 2005, so thought maybe I shouldn't. But I don't think most Forteans would mind though as they understand that there are always new posters/members who have volumes of new, (to them) threads to read on here. And in any case, they don't have to reply at all if they don't wish to.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I was going to reply to someone the other day then realised their post was from 2005, so thought maybe I shouldn't. But I don't think most Forteans would mind though as they understand that there are always new posters/members who have volumes of new, (to them) threads to read on here. And in any case, they don't have to reply at all if they don't wish to.
Exactly. Also, you're not replying to them personally, you're replying to the thread and hopefully drawing attention to an interesting subject or incident. There's such a lot to read on'ere now.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The main problem I find in old posts is thinking "Gawd, I sounded like such an arse there!" But if I sounded like an arse years ago, then there's nothing I can do about it now. So revive old threads all you like, Zebs. This forum can be a treasure trove of weirdness.
Many of my old posts come across rather arsily too, so what? You live you learn, you love you learn, you cry you learn, you lose you learn, you bleed you learn, you scream you learn...

As someone who's been here a long time (longer than it states on my profile) I think that the resurrecting of old threads, and the replying to ancient posts, can only be of the utmost benefit to the health of the board. And likes added to very old posts can nudge the likee to look back at something and maybe reinvest in the discussion.

More of it, I say - lots more.

(Some time back - when I thought we were going a bit stagnant - I did actually try and work out if we could makes some sort of game out of resurrecting old threads: like, an individual gets nominated, and a thread and a page number get picked at random, and the nominated poster has to bump a thread chosen from that page with some new content/comment. There's always something new to say - but beyond that rough outline, I couldn't work out how it might work).

Last edited:

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
(Worried I might be annoying people by giving them an alert saying I liked something they'd said 3 years ago and had forgotten all about...)
For my part I enjoy seeing some old post I made years ago and had forgotten about and it has led to some interest ing thread re-reads so go for it! :orc2:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Exactly. Also, you're not replying to them personally, you're replying to the thread and hopefully drawing attention to an interesting subject or incident. There's such a lot to read on'ere now.
Précisément.

I'm bit puzzled by all this wonderment over the notion of bumping old threads with new comments though. It's being going on for years and is repeatedly cited as acceptable on the New Members' Thread.

Newt

Devoted Cultist
I'm so glad this discussion has been had.

As Friedswide said, it is very frowned on in other places. I would never have necroed a thread for fear of rolled eyes and sighs.

On other forums this has given me the impression that everything had already been said before I got there, and there was nothing left for me to say.

So, yay!!!

:cheer::nelly::cheer: