Good Posting Practices

Think before you post.
This has never happened to me but I've heard people mentioning that when they 'like' a post, they are sometimes offered a choice via a pop-up
as to whether they really would like to 'like' or not.

It sounds like a glitch and as far as I can tell, the moderators don't know why this happens but I think if it could somehow be incorporated into the 'Post Reply' and 'Start New Thread' buttons then it might make some people think twice and review what they are about to say.

Might.

Ahh, you say that now, but when I dredge up all your posts from since the beginning of time, you'll be all "oh not that bloody Zebs again, liking all my posts" whilst simultaneously drowning in a sea of "Schrodinger's Zebra liked your post in the thread..." alerts.

;P
Be good to see you showing that topics aren't just black and white.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I think it is because it is so firmly discouraged elsewhere, with penalities including instant removal from the group.

But we are not those "elsewhere" place, thank goodness!
I'm so glad this discussion has been had.

As Friedswide said, it is very frowned on in other places. I would never have necroed a thread for fear of rolled eyes and sighs.

On other forums this has given me the impression that everything had already been said before I got there, and there was nothing left for me to say.

So, yay!!!

:cheer::nelly::cheer:
How very arrogant. This bullying attitude is what killed off b3ta; new members aren't allowed to join in with discussions. Comes across as a public school full of Boris clones.

Reddit is the opposite and it's thriving.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I like it when someone says - "here's a link to intersting and relevant stiff we said in a different thread".

I do not like it when someone says "not this again! if you used the search function (it's very easy, you really should try it) you'll find that we have already dealt with this a couple of decades ago."
The former happens a lot, well, I do it anyway!
Can't say I've seen the second at all. If I did I'd be straight in there with an assurance that we are open to new interpretations.
Unless it's in a thread about sport, UFOs or the Royals, in which case you're on your own.

catseye

For the greater good
I always love it when an old thread I've commented on gets bumped and I see my old comments. Sometimes it forces me to reappraise my view of something (in the light of current/advanced knowledge or insight) and that can never be a bad thing, surely?

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Précisément.

I'm bit puzzled by all this wonderment over the notion of bumping old threads with new comments though. It's being going on for years and is repeatedly cited as acceptable on the New Members' Thread.
Some older posts were written by members who've sadly since died. I can think of three whose names I'd recognise as no longer able to appreciate our relatively new 'Like' function, plus a couple who come up as anonymous but whose posts I still recognise.

It's sad to think they'll never know how interesting were the things they had to say.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I love it when an old thread pops up, i tend to think of them as Frankie Threads, it gives me a chance to see if I can actually respond or not, and, I click 'like' from years ago as well, and why not, it is nice to kinda thank someone for making you think, or laugh.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
You probably bumped into Frankie running away from mad villages

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
How very arrogant. This bullying attitude is what killed off b3ta; new members aren't allowed to join in with discussions. Comes across as a public school full of Boris clones.

Reddit is the opposite and it's thriving.

It's about context a lot of the time on video game forums. If you necro a thread that's no longer relevant, (usually because there have been changes to the mechanics of the game), then it is frowned upon.

Anything outside of gaming should be allowed to be summoned from the grave.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
It's about context a lot of the time on video game forums. If you necro a thread that's no longer relevant, (usually because there have been changes to the mechanics of the game), then it is frowned upon.

Anything outside of gaming should be allowed to be summoned from the grave.
Gamers sound like a lovely crew.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Got to say I never liked the 'right wing soapbox' aspect of the site, and it did very nearly put me off when I rejoined. Happy to stick to the Forteana and not hear anyone's fascinating opinions about immigrants or feminists.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Got to say I never liked the 'right wing soapbox' aspect of the site, and it did very nearly put me off when I rejoined. Happy to stick to the Forteana and not hear anyone's fascinating opinions about immigrants or feminists.
Glad you stuck around! And everyone else who did despite reservations, too.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Not able to disclose details, but I've been accused of being both a 'rabid Tory' and a 'social justice moron' while trying to walk the line here.

Not recently, admittedly.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
As Popeye said, "I am what I am" Given the way my eye situation impacted on my upbringing and the constant sniping i had all the way through school (and after, for awhile) I'm never going to hide my views. On some things they are right wing , on others they are left wing.

What I strongly believe is that no-one should hate another person because they have different political or religious views. If you disagree with someone's views attempt to deconstruct the view, don't attack the person.

I have had one or two views of my own blown away since I became a member of this forum - that is healthy.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Many of my old posts come across rather arsily too, so what? You live you learn, you love you learn, you cry you learn, you lose you learn, you bleed you learn, you scream you learn...
I'm appalled by the state of my typing and punctuation in the early-2000s!

That would have read: i"m apppalled by the state of my typing and punctuatiom In the early-2000s1

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
This is a question, not a complaint....but...why is it OK to have a thread which is borderline mocking Jehovah's Witnesses? If not mocking it's at the very least negative.
It's a good question. Religion, like Politics, tends to be very divisive - the only reason we keep it open as a field is that there is so much of Fortean interest in there. I suppose the Witnesses, for Brits at any rate, are the closest and most familiar example of a sect by dint of their prosetylisation (sp?) and most people know someone who has been either a Witness themselves or have some connection with it, and as a result they represent a great example of how cults operate. Again, it's fine to mock the operation itself, and the utterly illogical beliefs (ditto all faiths), but having a go at adherents or those sympathetic isn't really cricket. I'll have a look at the thread later.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This is a question, not a complaint....but...why is it OK to have a thread which is borderline mocking Jehovah's Witnesses? If not mocking it's at the very least negative.
That thread originated with a story about an odd, and arguably creepy, JW visit to the OP's home.

Much of the rest of the thread addresses other such visits and / or encounters. Much of the weirdness described in these subsequent stories was supplied by the JW folks themselves rather than third party critics.

Last edited: