Good Posting Practices

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Here's a tip. If you reply to a poster on a thread but decide to send it as a pm instead, the post might still come up next time you reply on that thread. Even if you've cut/pasted it to the pm. This happens on my Macs anyway.

So if I decide to sack the post off I cut or delete it and then replace it with some hits on the space bar. Can't be too careful.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Here's a tip. If you reply to a poster on a thread but decide to send it as a pm instead, the post might still come up next time you reply on that thread. Even if you've cut/pasted it to the pm. This happens on my Macs anyway.

So if I decide to sack the post off I cut or delete it and then replace it with some hits on the space bar. Can't be too careful.
:nods:

Happens on my Windows laptop too but I've developed a slightly different way to do it... if I've started to type a reply and then abandoned it (usually cos I couldn't think what I was trying to say) then after clearing all the text out (which, as you say, reappears next time you go back to the thread) I press the Preview button - this gives an 'oops something went wrong' message along the lines of there is no text, and then the text seems to have gone forever.

Not able to disclose details, but I've been accused of being both a 'rabid Tory' and a 'social justice moron' while trying to walk the line here.
I've been accused of being both a supporter of the IRA and a lackey of British Imperialism.

In spite of supporting Palestinian Rights I've also been called a Zionist Secular Mullah.

Apparently I'm in the pay of MI5, MI6, Mossad, CIA, Chatham House, BAE etc.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I've been accused of being both a supporter of the IRA and a lackey of British Imperialism.

In spite of supporting Palestinian Rights I've also been called a Zionist Secular Mullah.

Apparently I'm in the pay of MI5, MI6, Mossad, CIA, Chatham House, BAE etc.
''Zionist Secular Mullah''? at least they were polite. I was one refered to as ''a big nosed kike' - and that was one of the tamer ones!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Here's a tip. If you reply to a poster on a thread but decide to send it as a pm instead, the post might still come up next time you reply on that thread. Even if you've cut/pasted it to the pm. ...
... Happens on my Windows laptop too but I've developed a slightly different way to do it... if I've started to type a reply and then abandoned it (usually cos I couldn't think what I was trying to say) then after clearing all the text out (which, as you say, reappears next time you go back to the thread) I press the Preview button - this gives an 'oops something went wrong' message along the lines of there is no text, and then the text seems to have gone forever.
The forum software maintains a copy of any text you've entered (but not yet posted) on a given thread. This is a 'draft'.

In the text entry box there's a tool icon that looks like a diskette. This is the Draft tool set, and the drop-down menu offers an option to delete an existing draft. Selecting the Delete Draft option immediately removes the record of any unposted draft you'd started on that given thread.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
The forum software maintains a copy of any text you've entered (but not yet posted) on a given thread. This is a 'draft'.

In the text entry box there's a tool icon that looks like a diskette. This is the Draft tool set, and the drop-down menu offers an option to delete an existing draft. Selecting the Delete Draft option immediately removes the record of any unposted draft you'd started on that given thread.

Ooh! Never knew that! Thanks :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Ohh now that works but you have to delete your text first.

brownmane

off kilter

Thanks. I've had this problem too. Often I hit the keyboard unintentionally and then can't get rid of the "post" box. Other times, I start and either quote the wrong post or decide that it's an unecessary reply.

henry

still speeding
the post reply text box always shows, on every thread, at least it does for me, as thats how you reply ... and, as in the manner of most drafts, text once entered either on purpose or accidentally, can be edited or removed altogether ?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
this only appears on my phone in landscape presentation ...
Simplification is inevitable on mobile software, I'm afraid.

I'm able to 'override' the settings and force the full-desktop site to load, but if you don't have a large screen this might be a dubious advantage.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Can mods see draft posts?
I'm seriously tempted to refrain from answering, just to leave you hanging and maximize our air of mystery ... :evil:

But not today ...

The general answer is "No."

Draft postings represent dynamic / transient real-time data that has not been committed to the forum's underlying database.

Basic moderating powers enable us to see anything and everything that's within (i.e., already committed to ... ) the database.**

I suppose it's possible that someone with ultimate system administration powers might be able to access such transient / pending entries, but I suspect this would have to be done deep down in the technical infrastructure (perhaps at the level of the server).

** SIDE NOTE: We can, however, see anything you ordinary users have committed to the database and subsequently deleted. Your sole deletion option is equivalent to our "soft" deletion option, which merely removes the post from public view but preserves it within the database. We also have a "hard" deletion option which permanently eradicates the post from the database entirely.

henry

still speeding
given the locked pay attention post, and i dont think im particularly aware of the cause (thread, posters) of referred fracas, it did strike me that a lock on the chat subforum may reduce/eliminate that kind of posting ?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
given the locked pay attention post, and i dont think im particularly aware of the cause (thread, posters) of referred fracas, it did strike me that a lock on the chat subforum may reduce/eliminate that kind of posting ?
CZqv.gif

(That's a last resort)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Thank you for suggesting it here and not diverting a thread! it is appreciated :)

Frides

Frideswide

Staff member
It would punish the people who don't need it, the ones who don't need to "get the message".

:(

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
if the rubric of the board is to promote fortean discussion, chat is outside that circle
You are correct.

But the membership wanted a CHAT forum to run alongside the Fortean forums.

We 'simply' have to ensure that the positive aspects of the informal conversation does not bring with them ill-will and disagreement.

You are correct.

But the membership wanted a CHAT forum to run alongside the Fortean forums.

We 'simply' have to ensure that the positive aspects of the informal conversation does not bring with them ill-will and disagreement.
If I might be so bold to suggest that when the Mods say that any future mention of a immigration etc on a thread will be deleted that they actually follow through with it? If perceptions of "a right-wing vibe" on the board are to be combated then those who continually test the waters need to be confronted.

As this is the Good Posting Practices Thread I hope my post isn't out of place.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
As this is the Good Posting Practices Thread I hope my post isn't out of place.
It's far preferable to peppering threads with it.

In the case of the last time you requested this, one post was edited to remove the offending piece (not the whole post) and another was edited by the poster herself following a post by me.

We're broadly following up on what was announced, we're just not making a public fuss of doing so.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
if the rubric of the board is to promote fortean discussion, chat is outside that circle
I make no secret of my less-than-positive attitude toward the proportionally oversized and overused Shat Chat sub-forum and its distorting influence on the forum, yet ...

It does serve a constructive role in fostering the sense of community any online forum needs to survive and remain attractive to both veteran and new users.

The target of Stu's recent announcement had more to do with prohibited / disruptive / tangential crap posted in "serious" threads than any of the stuff in Chat.

We (the staff) have been wrestling with a lot of unwelcome drama and drivel lately, of which little or none has been within Chat. Such drama and drivel doesn't hurt much in Chat, so long as it remains "in bounds" under our rules and policies.

In contrast, it pollutes, corrupts, and even wrecks threads elsewhere in which members are trying to discuss more substantive matters.

Chat represents the murky cenote into which I rarely peek, even when bulldozing big chunks of junk from other areas into it.

You're right, henry - Chat lies outside the circle of this forum's Fortean core. Locking it might stimulate thought and reflection I suppose some folks could well use. (What are the odds? ...)

However, the bulk of the issue(s) to which Stu alluded concerns unwelcome / unacceptable postings in the other areas to which locked-out Chat junkies would only migrate and aggravate the problems.

We have a big enough problem with that sort of metastasizing jibber-jabber without indirectly encouraging it..

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I think the Chat area has a valuable function. It helps us all get to know each other which can help with understanding other points of view when discussing true Forteana. I'd be sad to see it go.
Nobody's suggesting it would or should be eliminated.

Frideswide

Staff member
If perceptions of "a right-wing vibe" on the board are to be combated
Nota Bene

If the left wing post similar frothings they will be dealt with in a similar manner. It's not a case of right or left being expunged.