Good Posting Practices

Nota Bene

If the left wing post similar frothings they will be dealt with in a similar manner. It's not a case of right or left being expunged.
And rightly so! No Raving Trots should be tolerated!

It's just that Stu mentioned Perceptions of a right-wing vibe to the site.

The fact that I am Secretary for InterSpecies Solidarity of the Revolutionary Workers Vanguard , Irish Section of the Provisional International Secretariat of the Fourth International (International Centre for Reconstruction) in no manner influences my posts.

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I think the Chat area has a valuable function. It helps us all get to know each other which can help with understanding other points of view when discussing true Forteana. I'd be sad to see it go.
Same'ere. There're only so many points you can make about UFOS and Bigfoot.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Not quite true, Henry, in post 346 above would like to see the chat forum locked. ...
I was responding to CarlosTheDJ's post, which was the first one to mention eliminating Chat. I'd already responded to henry's earlier post suggesting it be locked.

henry

still speeding
what happens in chat doesnt stay in chat though ... what happens in chat echoes in the rest of the board ... hence a temp lock might confirm or disconfirm the root cause

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Tomato tomayto. Eliminating slash locked. Same thing innit?
Far from it ...

Anyone can view locked content; they just can't post to it.

We (the staff) can, in principle, eliminate it in two ways. We can either store it away out of public sight or permanently delete it altogether.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
plus locked can presumably be unlocked ?
Yes ... Locking can be undone, and the "softer" version of deletion (removal from public view) can be reversed. Outright ("hard") deletion is permanent and cannot be undone at all.

I think that if there wasn't a 'Chat' forum then there would be a lot more misunderstanding on the rest of the board. And people often take comments the wrong way as it is, when no offence was meant.

I've often thought certain comments could come across as rude or obnoxious, but because I 'knew' what the poster was like from their involvement in Chat I could see that they were only making light.

A Chat-less board would be a very dry and dusty place, and I imagine board activity would plummet.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I think that if there wasn't a 'Chat' forum then there would be a lot more misunderstanding on the rest of the board. And people often take comments the wrong way as it is, when no offence was meant.

I've often thought certain comments could come across as rude or obnoxious, but because I 'knew' what the poster was like from their involvement in Chat I could see that they were only making light.

A Chat-less board would be a very dry and dusty place, and I imagine board activity would plummet.
tumblr_p34ik0R4931u2ragso1_500.gif

Last edited:

henry

still speeding
you lot love to chat, isnt that what myspace is for, or facebook, all the twitters ?

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Henry,

If you dislike chat so much, why not simply disregard it ?

Why even bother discussing the fate of the Chat thread ?

Doesn't make sense.

INT21.

henry

still speeding
i think the latest phase of this thread has sprung from my suggestion of a temp lock on the chat subforum in response to fire fighting the mods are doing across the site ... if chat is the head of the zombie it might quieten things down amongst the more unruly members ? not specific to deleting any thread or aimed at any user, despite above posts ...

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Having a chat section is not the problem. The mods are dealing with the problem. Go mods!

It seems like everyone uses the forum a bit differently. I generally ignore the sections, or forums or sub-forums or whatever they are. Mostly I look at "New Posts" and scroll through looking for something interesting. I don't care where it's filed. On the rare occasions when I start a thread, I'll look around and try to get it put into an appropriate place. If I get it wrong, no big deal. One of the mods will move it.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
I read and posted on the few forums that interested me for months until I found out that the same interesting and serious people who analysed ghost photos and commented on everyday strangeness also talked about cats and Gilbert and Sullivan and it was like confetti descended. The chat section is partly the glue that holds the rest together and if you disapprove of it don't read it. I don't notice that I frequent any boards that are giving the mods issues but I do support accelerated hand-slapping if this would help. I think we're experiencing the same narcissistic obsession with personal opinion that other media are noticing and that it's not the fault of the structure of the board.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
i think the latest phase of this thread has sprung from my suggestion of a temp lock on the chat subforum in response to fire fighting the mods are doing across the site ... if chat is the head of the zombie it might quieten things down amongst the more unruly members ? not specific to deleting any thread or aimed at any user, despite above posts ...
Over the years we've tried various things with Chat. Closing it - as has been rightly pointed out - just shifts Chat stuff elsewhere. Further, as Enola said, Chat isn't where the issue lies so there's no need to close it.

If you do find Chat that off-putting but still find yourself viewing Chat threads against your will, then what we can offer, henry, is if you (or indeed anyone else) doesn't wish to see Chat we can completely remove it from your view. It'd still be there, but invisible to you.

Having a chat section is not the problem. The mods are dealing with the problem. Go mods!

It seems like everyone uses the forum a bit differently. I generally ignore the sections, or forums or sub-forums or whatever they are. Mostly I look at "New Posts" and scroll through looking for something interesting. I don't care where it's filed. On the rare occasions when I start a thread, I'll look around and try to get it put into an appropriate place. If I get it wrong, no big deal. One of the mods will move it.
That's exactly how I use the board.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
If the Chat section closes I'm off.
This Forum - as a whole, not just Chat - is pretty much my only interaction with 'social media' (no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc for me) and I'd be mortified if it went or was locked. That said, I might get more work done, so my employer might be happy.

I joined the Forum in 2005 but have upped my interaction with it over the last couple of years. I've always been interested in Fortean phenomena - UFOs, ghosts, cryptozoology, conspiracy theories etc - but most of my posts are in Chat as I don't have too many Fortean experiences on a daily basis. Not since I've been off the drugs, anyway*...

I haven't noticed a particular right-wing bent to the Forum. You can pick up some posters' politics reasonably easily (I'm pretty sure mine could be discerned without too much effort) but apart from when people overstep the mark I don't feel it's a huge issue – at least from our side, not sure if it's the same for the mods.

I'm sure there are plenty of fora out there for explicitly discussing politics but I daren't go there for the sake of my sanity! (Hopefully that's not seen as politically partisan in any way.)

* That's a joke (a poor one, admittedly!)