• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Good Posting Practices

Guardianistas is a reference to Sandinistas, members of the Nicaraguan Sandinista National Liberation Front. Holding fervent left-wing views, y'know. Oh my poor sides.
I think the suffix "ista" has taken on a wider currency (fashionista, for example) as referring in a mock derogatory way to anyone perceived as setting themselves up as some sort of opinion former or arbitrator of opinions.

It's had a similar evolution to the suffix "...gate" which is now used to refer to any minor scandal, deception or conspiracy without implying any sort of link to or parity with Watergate, or the participants in that particular scandal..

Be that as it may, using Guardianista as a code word for "people whose political beliefs I disagree with" is politics "by the back door". Not what this forum is about.

I think the suffix "ista" has taken on a wider currency (fashionista, for example) as referring in a mock derogatory way to anyone perceived as setting themselves up as some sort of opinion former or arbitrator of opinions...

I actually think the derogatory element has faded somewhat, as - seems to me these days - those described in such ways often use it, if occasionally ironically, about themselves. (Possibly an object lesson in how to take the bile out of a derogatory word.)

It is regular usage in Spanish (and possibly the other Romance languages), and a simple exoticisation of the common suffix 'ist' when adopted in English. Barista is probably the most common example - so common in fact that its barely noticed.

I read some English grammar purist somewhere complain about an implied gender misapplication in using anything with ista when applied to a male - because, presumably, they believed any word ending in an a in the original language would be feminine. However, one of the interesting things about its legitimate usage – in Spanish at least – is that, whereas mixed groups are generally described in masculine terms, in this case ista – with its feminine ending - is the standard.

...sorry, got completely distracted there.

What I actually came here for was to ask if anyone knows if it's okay to link directly to an eBay listing?

I've found something really quite odd, but am just wondering if there's any protocol about linking directly to commercial listings on a site like eBay.

...sorry, got completely distracted there.

What I actually came here for was to ask if anyone knows if it's okay to link directly to an eBay listing?

I've found something really quite odd, but am just wondering if there's any protocol about linking directly to commercial listings on a site like eBay.

Yes, I think it's fine—unless members start trying to sell non-Fortean stuff to the membership.

Privately selling Fortean items is acceptable if all is above board and in the correct FORTEAN EXCHANGE section.

I would strongly suggest screen captures and copied text to preserve the content when the page disappears a few weeks after the auction ends.

Copied text brings it into the domain of SEARCH.

Yes, I think it's fine—unless members start trying to sell non-Fortean stuff to the membership.

Privately selling Fortean items is acceptable if all is above board and in the correct FORTEAN EXCHANGE section.

I would strongly suggest screen captures and copied text to preserve the content when the page disappears a few weeks after the auction ends.

Copied text brings it into the domain of SEARCH.

Thanks.

Believe me, the listings in question will only end when the seller delists the items; no-one - I guarantee - is ever going to pay for them.

And the item descriptions are of biblical proportions!

(Bit of a teaser there.)

Back