• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Good' UFO Books

having over 150 titles on the ufo/alien abduction subject.
start with
"passport to the cosmos" john e mack
then read
"supernatural" graham hancock
then read
"the spirit molecule" dr rick strassman
then read
"breaking open the head d pinchbeck.
ufo/aliens have been around for thousands of years and are still with us today.they are spiritual,people continue to see these visions.
to date not one shred of physical evidence exists on this earth.
as jesus said "seek within yourself,and you will find".
the answers are not out there in the universe,they are inside us.unlock your soul via "dmt" and explore these e.t dead relatives that you will see.
the truth is not out there,the truth is inside us....

you don't have to take it,"dmt" is in your body already.it is in plants,animals and humans.you will find it in the pineal gland of your brain.
this is why some people get abducted and some people don't.just by stress you will release "dmt" giving you your alien abduction account.
this is why when you read about abductions in the bedroom,you always hear it was around 3am when i woke and saw shadow figures around me then i was in a craft.this is your typical release of "dmt" your body clock will release this substance around the said time.
that's the connection.
"dmt" will release your soul from your body,

Ah, Pinchbeck - the hip Messiah. He's going to look rather silly when 2012 comes and goes just like any other year, isn't he?

i think not just him ,but also alot more people,2012 is just a new mayan calendar of time nothing more nothing less.
if anything did happen in 2012 it will be the magnetic pole shift,but even then i'm clutching at straws !

I've just re-read John Fuller's "Incident At Exeter".
The sightings are quite repetitive in content, but a good account of a flap nevertheless and in an age when these objects were believed by most within the field to be of ET origin.
If you can still get it, The Pennine UFO Mystery - one of Jenny Randles' first books - is a good read as well.

On the other hand, I recently had the misfortune to buy "True Canadian UFO Stories".

Don't bother.

Some free stuff:

The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects

By Capt. Edward J. Ruppelt, former head of Project Grudge/Blue Book and inventor of the term 'UFO'. An interesting slice of saucer history.

Also, the three books on alien abductions by the late Karla Turner are now available as free downloads from here: Karlaturner.org. I haven't got round to reading them yet, so I've no idea if they're any good or not.

Lastly, if you're interested in reading about contactee Daniel Fry's adventures with his alien pal Alan, you can find all his stuff here: DanielFry.com

karla turner was not abducted by aliens,she was used as a test animal on the effects of drugs,she thought she was been abducted because she was i.e,l.s.d,"dmt",mind control,sleep depredation.all military.
these are the effects you have,"dmt" is alien abduction.

This is a great book:

The UFO Phenomena (Paperback)
by Edward Ashpole (Author)
A scientific look at the evidence for extraterrestrial contact

It's a serious - not debunking Randi style - look at the UFO phenomenon. There are some chilling descritions of the "long delayed echoes" and the telescopic search for alien object at the Langrangian points.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UFO-Phenomena-E ... 0747247455
And for the price they ask at Amazon it's a treat.

Personal pet peeve: People should realize that it's phenomenON, not phenomenA. With A it's the plural!

bardo34 said:
you don't have to take it,"dmt" is in your body already.it is in plants,animals and humans.you will find it in the pineal gland of your brain.
DMT is also the active ingredient in Yagé/ayuhuasca. It's very funny stuff.

I think Paul R. Hills, " Unconventional Flying Objects: a scientific analysis", is one of the best UFO books out there.

Just in case anyone is wondering, "UFO Scotland" by Ron Halliday isn't really worth bothering with. He introduces the book by saying he never had any interest in UFOs until recently, and then goes on to prove it. Much of it is quite incredulous and there is a real lack of detail in describing cases, which is a shame because there's also a lot of "But are we really alone?"-type sentences that seem to serve only to pad it out.

Oh, and he has a dig at FT - though that bit is admittedly justified. :)

My opinion, of course.

"UFOs - the Final Answer?" is a collection of essays from different writers, edited by David and Therese Marie Barclay. It has contributions from both believers and sceptics; all of the essays (bar one dubious overview of ancient astronauts) are intelligent and well-written, and address all and different aspects of the subject. Worth tracking down.

I've been thinking about my ufological bookshelf, what's made it onto there over the years, and more importantly, what's stayed on there, and why.

After a lot of soul searching, I don't think I necessarily read most of these books to learn more about UFOs, other than those about the history of the phenomenon, and one or two others. I read them to be entertained! This isn't necessarily a problem, as many ufologists make no pretence to be anything other than writing for entertainment value.

With that in mind two books I have kept hold of are two Clarke and Roberts productions: Out of the Shadows, which is a great historical overview of government interest in the phenomenon - including some really interesting sightings - and their social history of ufology The Flying Saucerers.

David Halperin's book Intimate Alien, which takes a generally Jungian, psychological approach, seems to me to maybe get close to what the phenomenon might be about - it's interesting anyway.

Among studies of specific historical cases I really liked Steve Dewey's book on the Warminster flap, In Alien Heat, which I first read when he had a draft version on his website.

Now, onto the 'classics', and there's a lot of overlap with stuff already mentioned on this thread. Fuller was a journalist who I suspect approached the subject purely from the 'entertainment' end of the pool, but Incident at Exeter remains indeed very entertaining. I have to have to have Ruppelt in there, simply for all those cases that more or less defined the phenomenon, and similarly Keyhoe just as someone who had an enormous influence on how ufology developed.

For something that's both thought-provoking and a 'classic' I've got to have at least one book by Keel (Operation Trojan Horse or Mothman Prophecies). And maybe some early Vallee would find its way onto the shelf.

Lastly there are a couple of people whose writing I can enjoy without necessarily thinking they're on the right track with the subject - Budd Hopkins was an excellent writer for example. A lot of ufological books are in serious need of an editor.

I feel this book deserved a wider audience:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENCOUNTERS...refix=encounters+at+indian+head,aps,69&sr=8-1

'Encounters at Indian Head' was a serious, dare I say academic attempt to solve the Betty and Barney Hill mystery and included the team of both believers and skeptics visiting the locations of the events that night and examining every angle. Some still found in favour of their being a 'core' alien event, some came up with alternative, plausible explanations....

I feel this book deserved a wider audience:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENCOUNTERS-INDIAN-HEAD-Abduction-Revisited-ebook/dp/B004H1TCZ2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2DQOAP7ZNTEBG&keywords=encounters+at+indian+head&qid=1660394791&sprefix=encounters+at+indian+head,aps,69&sr=8-1

'Encounters at Indian Head' was a serious, dare I say academic attempt to solve the Betty and Barney Hill mystery and included the team of both believers and skeptics visiting the locations of the events that night and examining every angle. Some still found in favour of their being a 'core' alien event, some came up with alternative, plausible explanations....

Actually that's a great recommendation - it has some really solid contributions and the collegiate approach is something the subject desperately needs.

The late Karl Pflock took an unusual position as I remember - the 'phenomenon' of the 40s and 50s was real, but it went away again.

I forgot to mention two other writers: Jung and Fort himself. Without the latter there might not even have been UFOs.

Keel's Mothman Prophecies and Operation Trojan Horse are absolute classics of course and great reads.

The UFO encyclopedia by Margaret Sachs (1980) deserves a mention I think as it's a classic UFO reference book.

And the Haunted Skies series of books are also well worth reading - the only slight criticism of them is that they sometimes try to cram in too many reports from other countries, when they should really have just stuck to British reports in my opinion - but apart from that they're excellent too.

Although not strictly a purely UFO book (its main theme being unexplained animal deaths), I found Killers on the Moor by Mike Freebury fascinating because it dealt with many local UFO reports from places I know well.

I also thought that Conspiracy of Silence: UFOs in Ireland (Dermot Butler, Carl Nally) was very well (and intelligently) written. I re-read it again recently and still thought it was good.

Reactions: BS3
Keel's Mothman Prophecies and Operation Trojan Horse are absolute classics of course and great reads.

The UFO encyclopedia by Margaret Sachs (1980) deserves a mention I think as it's a classic UFO reference book.

And the Haunted Skies series of books are also well worth reading - the only slight criticism of them is that they sometimes try to cram in too many reports from other countries, when they should really have just stuck to British reports in my opinion - but apart from that they're excellent too.

Although not strictly a purely UFO book (its main theme being unexplained animal deaths), I found Killers on the Moor by Mike Freebury fascinating because it dealt with many local UFO reports from places I know well.

I also thought that Conspiracy of Silence: UFOs in Ireland (Dermot Butler, Carl Nally) was very well (and intelligently) written. I re-read it again recently and still thought it was good.

I did treat myself to a couple of the earlier installments of the Haunted Skies series and was impressed by the level of detail and number of sightings they had dug out. For cynical old sceptics like myself I'd add the caveat that the tone is generally uncritical - if the witness says they saw a UFO, they saw a UFO - but with that in mind it's an enjoyable series to browse through.

IMHO the 3 best books on the subject are by Dr J Vallee:
( and I believe several are online as free pdf files)

Dimensions
Confrontations
Revelations

I'm just about to start Keel's Mothman and I've read Pope's book. I'm off on holiday in weeks time and so will have time to do some reading. As I'm starting from a low base what are the go to books for someone in my position?

I did treat myself to a couple of the earlier installments of the Haunted Skies series and was impressed by the level of detail and number of sightings they had dug out. For cynical old sceptics like myself I'd add the caveat that the tone is generally uncritical - if the witness says they saw a UFO, they saw a UFO - but with that in mind it's an enjoyable series to browse through.
Also bought an early one whilst they were still published by the CFZ. I agree with your sentiments, a worthy cause but a complete absence of criticality. Also some of the later cover illustrations somewhat stretch credibility…

I'm just about to start Keel's Mothman and I've read Pope's book. I'm off on holiday in weeks time and so will have time to do some reading. As I'm starting from a low base what are the go to books for someone in my position?
Are you based in the UK and do you read on Kindle?

hi yes UK based and do read via kindle and hard copy
I recommend you try and track down the 1976/77 Welsh UFO flap books: 'The Welsh Triangle' by Peter Paget and 'The Dyfed Enigma" by Pugh and Holiday. Check out the thread on this forum for links.

Also recommend Malcolm Robinson's 'UFO Case Files of Scotland' books that focus on the Bonnybridge 1990s UFO flag and other cases. Malcolm is a decent chap in my opinion who gets out there and knocks on doors, but he is biased towards UFOs being nuts-and-bolts alien spacecraft.

But perhaps most of all I would recommend 'UFO Landings UK' by Philip Mantle, a recent release that documents all the decent UK cases over many decades:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UFO-LANDIN...e-bin:368165031&rnid=492562011&s=books&sr=1-1

These are great recommendations.

For a more international / general perspective on the phenomenon, written from a pro-ETH perspective, then I think Jerome Clark's UFO Encyclopedia is now available relatively cheaply on Kindle. It is exhaustive and will give you a starter on pretty much everything ufological.

Also I think Edward Ruppelt's Report on Unidentified Flying Objects is free on Kindle - I think it's important to read this because it gives a good overview of how the phenomenon got going and in particular the background to Blue Book.

Also bought an early one whilst they were still published by the CFZ. I agree with your sentiments, a worthy cause but a complete absence of criticality. Also some of the later cover illustrations somewhat stretch credibility…
I know what you mean about the Haunted Skies series of books being generally uncritical, the authors are not really being totally objective because they are obviously biased towards an ET explanation for most things. On the other hand, I don't think the main purpose of the books is to analyze the evidence and theories about what might be happening. I think their main objective has been to try to create a comprehensive chronological record of UFO reports (recording the efforts of those who've tried to make sense of the phenomenon over the years) with the aim of preserving it all (for its the social history value if nothing else). Which is commendable I think.

A lot of those UFO cases will be misidentifications of normal things and hoaxes no doubt but on the positive side the authors have uncovered a few 'new' cases that have never been published before, and they have managed to track down and interview many of the witnesses from old (alleged) UFO cases, and it's interesting to read what these people say about their experiences all those years later (which in many cases, for me, adds authenticity to their claims).

Other books I'd recommend are:
Paul Devereux's Earth Lights Revelation
Jacques Vallée's Passport to Magonia
and Time Storms by Jenny Randles - I've just finished re-reading this and it certainly is very thought-provoking and offers an interesting perspective on 'UFOs' and a good alternative explanation for some of these events.

No one book has all the answers of course when it comes to UFOs, it's a complex phenomenon. There are several plausible scientific theories (involving natural phenomenon) that could explain some instances of 'UFO' encounters, but I still believe that there is a real and unexplainable paranormal element in many UFO cases.

No one book has all the answers of course when it comes to UFOs, it's a complex phenomenon. There are several plausible scientific theories (involving natural phenomenon) that could explain some instances of 'UFO' encounters, but I still believe that there is a real and unexplainable paranormal element in many UFO cases.
This hits the nail on the head in that it is indeed a complex phenomena which is why I mentioned Dr vallee's trilogy. It covers all aspects of theories and looks into the bizarre nature of the enigma while pointing out some cases as examples. I have read over 50 ufo related books in the last 50 years and many focus on only one or two events or on one or two ideas only. There are many unusual aspects to what we call the UFO enigma.....not just saucers and the odd alien seen. I feel Dr Vallee has done the best job in covering all these aspects.

I am a little disappointed in his new promotion of the old lesser known case in the American southwest he seems to be supporting. Before in his previous work he was supsicious of all alleged crashes. I'm not sure what this means in relation to his current ideas.

For more about Vallee's latest book see:
Trinity Crash (New Mexico; Padilla Ranch; August 1945)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...h-new-mexico-padilla-ranch-august-1945.70001/

Last edited by a moderator:
One really interesting ufological book from the last couple of years, particularly if you like Fort himself, is Martin Shough and Wim van Utrecht's Redemption of the Damned:

https://amzn.eu/d/2wPxlYp

This is a two volume re-examination of some classic strange aerial, space and sea phenomena catalogued in Fort's Book of the Damned - with plausible explanations identified in most (though by no means all) cases.

Reviews by John Rimmer here and here.

Back