• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gotham

Still waiting for Channel 5 to bring it back...

This is still shaping up ok, even if the Scarecrow story was rather unsubtle, and I'm still not stuck on Fish Mooney.

Red Hood next week, I'm really hoping they don't fark that one up. Not convinced though we should be having a certain character in so early... or maybe they'll manage a work around... dunno.
I've mentioned my feeling that Ms Pinkett Smith drags the show down somewhat. And I'm not really into her current storyline. She would probably better serve the narrative if she was never heard from again, but they're not going to dump a big name until she's ready to go.

I'm also not a fan of the current relationship Gordon has found himself in. Especially considering the relationship the other character has with Bruce (in standard continuity, if there is such a thing at DC these days).

As for the Red Hood, it depends on how they're treating it. The Red Hood Gang was supposedly a thing before the events of The Killing Joke, but since the "New 52", its place in the canon is less clear. If they want to use The Killing Joke, then it's probably a bad idea to introduce it now, and certainly a mistake to go any further down that route until Bruce puts on the dark grey onesie. (Which presumably will be at the end of the series, unless they wind up like Smallville and run way past the original projected endpoint.)

Ah, i didn't know Pinkett Smith was a name, I have no idea what she's like when she's not being Fish Mooney but I find the character annoying, I'd be happy for her to get a one way trip to the bottom of Gotham harbour.

I don't mind the red hood gang being in it, like many though it doesn't seem right to have a Killing Joke type story without Batman, it misses the point of the relationship between the characters as a concept.

Found this series to be thoroughly enjoyable, not to mention a whole lot better than all that "reality" nonsense they keep showing! I don't care if people can sing, cook, lose weight, renovate, survive in a jungle (either as a contestant or a "celebrity") or whatever the latest nonsense is!

Now that was one bloody amazing episode. :D and :eek: at that certain bit! I'm surprised they snuck that nasty in there.

I do think they're trolling/teasing us with possible joker candidates, the circus guy last week, bad comedian, whoever's under the red hood this time...

Not sure what's going on with the rest of the plot, was thinking Hugo Strange might be in there somewhere, if so he isn't particularly evident.

Totally loved the gag with the fridge. :D

Was watching the Emergency Awesome vlog on this episode - the Dollmakers secretary is Jeffrey Combs! :D

Totally didn't clock him, although it's not like I've seen him in anything since he popped up in (i think) B5.

Was watching the Emergency Awesome vlog on this episode - the Dollmakers secretary is Jeffrey Combs! :D

Totally didn't clock him, although it's not like I've seen him in anything since he popped up in (i think) B5.

He popped up in Star Trek DS9 and Enterprise.

Always good value, though he'll always be Herbert West to me.

He popped up in Star Trek DS9 and Enterprise.

Always good value, though he'll always be Herbert West to me.

^ THIS. :D

Looking at his IMDB listing he's been scary prolific, also he's been voice actor in the animated Doom Patrol, and as the Scarecrow in the 90s animated New Batman Adventures.

The B5 episode was S1E16 - Eyes.

What a coincidence, I just watched his first Scarecrow Batman episode the other day. It was also the first since they'd redesigned the character and hearing Combs' distinctive tones emerging from the newly cadaverous villain gave it a frisson, especially as he's an expert at mad scientists.

He also did The Question in Justice League Unlimited.

And he put in a great comedic turn in the underrated (IMHO) The Frighteners as a kind of parody of Fox Mulder.

Judging by tonight's episode they've completely lost interest in Bruce Wayne. Also, the Electrocutioner (groan) kind of spoils any plans for Maxie Zeus or The Mad Hatter they might have. Plus they killed off the best looking actress in the show tonight. And how many times is The Penguin going to be beaten up?!

But with all those reservations, it's still the Batman universe and I'm happy to watch it. Nice to see Morena Baccarin has joined the cast, though it does beg the question, why will Gordon name his daughter after his lesbian ex-lover?

Oh, and Agnes DiPesto got killed too! Where was Herbert Viola when she needed him?

I love the Penguin. Poor little guy who is using the weaknesses of his bosses to improve his life. When will we see the Joker?

The Penguin's fair, but I'm liking The Riddler more, he's upped the quirk quotient considerably which is all to the good.

I think they're keeping their powder dry re: The Joker.

Nice to see Morena Baccarin has joined the cast, though it does beg the question, why will Gordon name his daughter after his lesbian ex-lover?
I'm not happy with Gordon and Leslie Thompkins having a thing, given each of their relationships to Bruce Wayne (in the DC canon, not necessarily here, I'll admit). Leslie was a former colleague of Thomas Wayne, and essentially became Batman's medical service (when Alfred couldn't just patch him up). She's sort of a fill-in maternal figure, or at least an aunt. Bruce's relationship with Gordon is a bit more complicated, and can be seen as either a paternal figure, or his best friend, or any number of other things.

Anyway, I just find it a bit creepy.

As for Barbara (Sr), she seems to have taken to Selina and Ivy hanging out in her penthouse pretty casually. And whether Jim names his daughter after her...well, in some versions she's actually his niece whom he adopts when her parents are killed (as are everyone's parents in Batman). Or did they just have a messy divorce? Who can remember? Anyway, shouldn't she be born soon? Dick seems to be right on track, since we saw his parents get together the other week. He's a couple of years younger than Barbara (Jr), and the age difference would be about right.

I mean, unless Barbara (Sr) is pregnant. In which case she probably shouldn't be drinking quite so much. But it would be a killer of a cliff hanger for the season finale...

From what I've seen they're taking DC canon and doing their own thing with it, so maybe anything is possible (like legions of irate sticklers). Poison Ivy is actually called Ivy here, for a start.

The Penguin's fair, but I'm liking The Riddler more, he's upped the quirk quotient considerably which is all to the good.

I think they're keeping their powder dry re: The Joker.

Or does he crop up in Episode 16?

Dunno, haven't got that far yet, I'm relying on Channel 5.

Or does he crop up in Episode 16?

Could be, though as I said earlier in the thread, I do think that they're trolling us a bit with Joker candidates.

It would be a bit obvious to use the guy in episode 16, so I hope they don't.

What ever the outcome, it would be good to see young master Bruce cross paths with the the joker - nothing serious apart from perhaps a big smile and his hideous laugh.

Um, why did tonight's last Fish scene use the dialogue from the end of E.T. the Extraterrestrial?!

Is it just me, or is the show getting less annoying?

Or is the lack of Barbara?

The pollution over Gothams bad, I dont think Ive seen one clear sunny day yet.

The pollution over Gothams bad, I dont think Ive seen one clear sunny day yet.
Yeah, what is it with Gotham? It's in permanent darkness.

When winters arrives I bet the locals find themselves in perpetual darkness 24/7.

Maybe it's near the Arctic Circle? Canadian Batman?

Little articlette about Season 2:
http://collider.com/gotham-villains-season-2/

Big news being Mr Freeze, The Mad Hatter and Clayface (!) are almost certain to appear. As long as there's more Riddler, that's fine by me, he's become the highlight of the show recently.

Back