• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gotham

So the Scarecrow became the Scarecrow because he's scared of Scarecrows? Not sure about that.

Best bit of tonight's was the weirdos face-off between Penguin and Riddler. They should do more of that sort of thing, the gangster stuff is a bit basic so far. At least Penguin didn't get beaten up this week.

Tonights the night, this may be the Joker!

images

Oh dear, I do prefer this show when it isn't so 'on the nose' as the phrase seems to be these days.

Yeah, it'll be a real anti-climax if that chap really is The Joker. One good thing, the clowns made me laugh tonight, see, they can be funny. OK, they were in a brawl with the trapeze artists, but nevertheless.

Riddler only had one line tonight, though. Boo.

Hes got to be the joker and I like the young chaps rendition- lets hope he returns late on in season 2.

So the Scarecrow became the Scarecrow because he's scared of Scarecrows? Not sure about that.

Best bit of tonight's was the weirdos face-off between Penguin and Riddler. They should do more of that sort of thing, the gangster stuff is a bit basic so far. At least Penguin didn't get beaten up this week.

His future will see him become bit-by-bit what haunts him daily until he becomes that delusion and wears a well used sack. He like his father will then overcome their fear/phobia by doing this...and then follow in his insane fathers footsteps.

Ah, ok, I got mixed up here, I saw that episode a while back.

Without wanting to spoiler, I do think they're teasing us with potential Joker candidates.

Finally saw an episode, Arkham Asylum murders, must catch up on rest.

Ah, ok, I got mixed up here, I saw that episode a while back.

Without wanting to spoiler, I do think they're teasing us with potential Joker candidates.

They certainly are, I'm guessing none of the Red Hood Gang from tonight's are The Joker. Unless the toerag at the end is. I don't watch much children's TV, so there may be other shows, but Gotham is really cornering the market in weird-looking kids.

Hadn't seen Jeffrey Combs in ages, didn't realise how old he's gotten. Oh well.

Not sure what the attractively-named Fish Mooney has to do with Gotham anymore, she seems to be in her own spin-off series. Anyway, someone pointed out to me that the whole show is too villain-heavy, so you can tell the place needs a Batman but also there's not much hope for the city for years, which can be oppressive. But folks do like their "dark" plots these days...

Well, Jada Pinkett Smith has said she's not returning for series 2. She only signed for one year, apparently.

And I think Fish should have just disappeared after she fled Gotham. We could have found out what happened to her when (if) she made it back.

I imagine Milo Ventimiglia (not playing Professor Milo, missed opportunity there) in tonight's episode is what 50 Shades ends up like if they make more movies.

Well that was a cracking end to the season.

Fish coming back was a waste of space. Some great moments though, including that musical easter egg. :D

The one i watched last night was entitled Beasts of Prey, and good it was too.

Well that was a cracking end to the season.

Fish coming back was a waste of space. Some great moments though, including that musical easter egg. :D

Good to know it's heading towards something worthwhile (apart from Fish). Channel 5 can't be that far behind (I hope).

I just can't put my finger on why Fish is so annoying, but she is.

It's probably because she seems like an incidental character who should have been dispensed with in the first couple of episodes once The Penguin had her nightclub, but she's been needlessly building her part up ever since. Her abrasiveness doesn't make her endearing either. Nothing against the actress, but superfluity isn't a great trait in a TV show.

It's probably because she seems like an incidental character who should have been dispensed with in the first couple of episodes once The Penguin had her nightclub, but she's been needlessly building her part up ever since. Her abrasiveness doesn't make her endearing either. Nothing against the actress, but superfluity isn't a great trait in a TV show.

I've not really seen her in anything else, I'm fairly indifferent to the Matrix, part from the first one and I can't really remember her in that.

Totally agree as a baddy she just does not display enough to make anyone form a connection with her character. You can have good TV villains, Billy Bob springs to mind in Fargo, (again I was not a great fan but loved him), and you want them to murder his way to freedom.

Like you say where can she go? She can cause the Penguin trouble but ultimately you know he's going to triumph.

Bit disappointed The Riddler didn't conjure up some fiendish conundrum to trap his woman-beating rival, it was a bit of a letdown to see him "just" stab him. Don't think women find murder all that endearing, Ed. Two episodes to go and Channel 5 will have caught up...

I think the last episode of the entire series won't be Bruce putting on his cowl, but the whole lot of them turned into raving psychopaths. Gordon was at it tonight. Nice to see Lucius Fox briefly, maybe there's hope after all.

Due to the powers of the interwebs, I've binge watched the first season, and I rather enjoyed it, to a point anyway.
I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever see Batman actually don the cape, given the actors age, and likely length of the series, so it's nice to see Gotham's characters without his influence.

I even liked Fish; she provided some scene chewing colour to some the otherwise rather dour and dark proceedings.

Well, Smallville went on for a decade and ended with (Spoilers) Clark Kent quickly putting on his Superman outfit and flying away, as if they said, oh, yeah, and then he turned into Superman. The End. You can watch something else now.

Catching up with the latest UK episode, there's a part where the serial killer phones Jim to say he's kidnapped his ex-girlfriend, adding, "don't worry she's as safe as milk" - which was funny (to me) as a friend recently got me listening to Captain Beefheart (it's the title of his debut album)

I googled the phrase to see if it had any meaning outside of CB, but it seems not. So either the screenwriters or actor Milo Ventimiglia are Beefheart fans, I guess.

But some critics were suitably nonplussed!
Worst line: "She's as safe as milk." – the Ogre to Jim. What does that even mean? Is he saying he'll spoil her rotten like milk? 'Cause nothing's more flattering than being compared to chunks of dairy.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...p-the-anvil-or-the-hammer-20150428-story.html

263sam9.jpg

I noticed the Beefheart reference too, good album that. Hope there are more quirks like that to keep us on our toes.

Hmm, I expected more of a finale cliffhanger (or a set of them), though the fear that Sir Alan Sugar is a baddie in the next season is troubling, I admit.

A quick teaser for season 2:

Already? Doesn't seem that long since it was on. Rise of the Villains, apparently. Obviously a major departure, then.

I don't relish the idea of Batman battling pensioners who need a cup of tea and a sit down every time things get physical.

I'm not too chuffed that the obvious candidate has turned out to be the guy they're having as the Joker either... this show works better when it's not so on the nose.

Not complaining that Fish Mooney isn't coming back.

Back