• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gotham

Well that was a rather dull start to season 3.

Randomly throwing together a group of characters with powers but no backstory or idea of who they will be doesn't work out too well and just makes it muddled. Well one is obvious but the rest seem to be neither here nor there.

Also wondering how they're going to do Poison Ivy, when they've given one fo her main powers to (Cuttle)fish Mooney.

Apparently Channel 5 won't be bringing season 3 to UK screens till the summer! What's so important that they have to show at the moment (or since last Autumn)?

Apparently Channel 5 won't be bringing season 3 to UK screens till the summer! What's so important that they have to show at the moment (or since last Autumn)?
Gah - maybe they're waiting for Sky to finish their Marvel run.

You're not missing that much, season 3 has been fairly lacklustre... back half seems to be improving though.

Gotham season 3 is out on DVD and Blu-ray today. And Channel 5 once again demonstrate themselves to be at the arse end of the terrestrial channels by still not broadcasting it - the teaser for season 4 has been released in the US today!

I gave in and bought a 2nd hand Blu-ray of Gotham s3, or The People Getting Knocked Unconscious Show as it quickly became. The Riddler's still the best character, and I'm glad he had so much to do, Penguin falling in love with him was pretty funny. The big problem is Bruce Wayne, he's a charisma vacuum and there's no way I see him as Batman. Poison Ivy was an amusing addition. Now for s4! Er, whenever I can see that.

I'm about three episodes from the end of S3, the subplots get crazier by the episode.

I'm about three episodes from the end of S3, the subplots get crazier by the episode.

The depiction of the city itself reminds me of the Simpsons gag where there's a power cut in Springfield and everyone immediately starts rioting. No self-control, those Gothamites.

What do you know, Gotham's heading for E4 instead of Channel 5. Don't know which season, though, presumably the third one, but the trailer shows the end of that season in a weird spoiler. Maybe they'll assume everyone's tracked it down by now and go to season 4?

OK, a week tonight, next Tuesday at nine on E4 in the UK, Gotham is back. Starting from season 4, as I suspected, they must have worked out that anyone interested enough will have seen season 3 by now (and I have). Anyway, back on the 10th of April, write that down.

Ooh, fancy new Scarecrow costume... other than that, same old ridiculousness. Hope Batman's voice breaks soon.

Pretty good episode of this last night on E4, written by Ben McKenzie I note (which explains the massive kiss-up situation Gordon got into at the end). Victor Zsasz is turning into a really great character, I was laughing even though he's evil.

Just been renewed for a fifth and final season. It's the nuttiest comic book show on TV (apart from Legion). Good to see Butch is now Solomon Grundy, there's a deep cut for villainy. Although he says more than the comics version.

Just been renewed for a fifth and final season. It's the nuttiest comic book show on TV (apart from Legion). Good to see Butch is now Solomon Grundy, there's a deep cut for villainy. Although he says more than the comics version.
Well, we know that the last thing that happens in the series has to be Bruce putting on the flying rat outfit. (Just as Clark wearing the blue pyjamas was for Smallville.)

I am behind on the show, but I've been keeping up with what's been happening. I do think they made some odd choices with how they presented the lore, but have to admit they've built something out of it. Although if they hadn't nailed the casting early on (especially Robin Lord Taylor) it would have wound up another failed effort.

Still, in other Bat-Family news, they've announced Kate Kane will be in the Arrowverse crossover next season, although I haven't heard which Earth she'll be from. I mean we know Bruce is on Earth 1 and Earth 37 at least. (OK, only Arrow has actually name-checked him - all Simon Amstell's idea, apparently - but there are references in Supergirl to a tech-savvy vigilante that Clark works with sometimes.)

I am behind on the show, but I've been keeping up with what's been happening. I do think they made some odd choices with how they presented the lore, but have to admit they've built something out of it. Although if they hadn't nailed the casting early on (especially Robin Lord Taylor) it would have wound up another failed effort.

Yeah, if they got anything right it was the casting, I'd single out Cory Michael Smith who is a far better Riddler than Jim Carrey ever was, and Anthony Carrigan as Zsasz who has spent four years growing into the role and is now the highlight of every episode he's in. I was reading up about him, he was afflicted with alopecia (like comedian Matt Lucas) a few years ago and was told it meant the end of his acting career - he sure proved that wrong.

The only weak link is Bruce, when he's not in an episode you don't miss him, unlike the others (no Bruce means no Sean Pertwee - boo!).

Yeah, if they got anything right it was the casting, I'd single out Cory Michael Smith who is a far better Riddler than Jim Carrey ever was, and Anthony Carrigan as Zsasz who has spent four years growing into the role and is now the highlight of every episode he's in. I was reading up about him, he was afflicted with alopecia (like comedian Matt Lucas) a few years ago and was told it meant the end of his acting career - he sure proved that wrong.

The only weak link is Bruce, when he's not in an episode you don't miss him, unlike the others (no Bruce means no Sean Pertwee - boo!).
I don't mind Bruce, but Pertwee is brilliant as that particular Alfred. (There have been a lot of Alfreds over the years, Pertwee's is more the ex-SAS bad-arse, and less the genteel former actor. In the comics, he's usually between the two extremes, but in TV and movies, when he's not just a butler, he's usually more at the genteel end.) Also, Carmen Bicondova as a young Selina is great. The creepy thing is how much she looks like a young Michelle Pfeiffer.

Oh, and I mentioned Simon Amstell above, when I meant Stephen Amell. I can only claim a massive brain-lapse. Although Amstell as Green Arrow would be interesting to watch. Anyway, Stephen Amell asked if he could name-check Bruce Wayne in a specific scene (where the press are asking him about evidence he's the Green Arrow), because he thought it would be cool.

I don't watch Green Arrow so I was none the wiser!

It was Carmen's birthday this week, I notice. Many happy returns, Kittengirl.

I wonder how long Sean Pertwee has always wanted to say "You're a big man, but you're out of shape!" in a film or TV show? Made me laugh, anyway.

Not sure about recasting Ivy, new one's hard as nails but not as fun.

End of season 4 on E4 last night, all hell breaking loose, just like every other episode. A few cliffhangers to tide us over, presumably for when they bring even more characters back from the dead (seriously, the amount of times they've done this must be in double figures). And we're technically still not sure who The Joker is!

Trailer for season 5 (if you can make it out in the gloom):

Will we be getting Harley Quinn?

I think they already had her, I saw a clip online.

Trailer for season 5 (if you can make it out in the gloom):
<snip>

Will we be getting Harley Quinn?
The theory I'd heard for the past two years, at least, was that
Barbara
was going to become her. I mean, they might as well, they're so far into Elseworlds territory, they should just see how far they can get.

Not sure Babs would be that easily swayed by The Joker, to be honest, she's too much of her own woman.

Back