• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

#GrabBag

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Seemingly every local council and security force has today started Tweeting out messages urging people to pack a #GrabBag so you are ready to flee at a minutes notice in an emergency.

No details of what the emergency could be, or where you are meant to flee to...

Ramping up Project Fear for political gain? Preparing us for something they already know about? Or simply coincidence that this campaign of preparedness has been launched in this pre-Brexit climate?

Zombie and vampire killing kit at the ready.

I guess it's because somebody decided to make September 'preparedness month'.
There's nothing behind it.

Although the USA has a much-more overt (and continuous) Homeland Security / Disaster Preparedness agenda, the UK and all other European countries have been doing this (usually on a low-key basis) for many years.

I suspect that (in addition to there being a UK Central Goverment core initiative to this-
#30Days30WaysUK is the social media hashtag) there is something of a neocontemporary internet-amplified echochamber going on, which is being fuelled by some rather ill-advised cut-&-pasting of North American personal security advice into a UK context.

Just imagine how fevered the Millennium Bug non-event would've been, if December 1999 had been possessed of the level of internet interaction we see now in September 2019.

And as for the realities of 'grab-bags'....I don't carry as much (on my person, or in my car) as I used to, but it utterly-astounds me that vast numbers of Brits wander out of their houses in teeshirts and jogging pants, jump into cars with empty fuel-tanks and crash into ditches, in the sure & certain expectation that agents of the local authority and the government will magically-appear to save them, the minute they make an emergency call on their uncharged phones.

I recently had an accidental conversation with an early middle-aged lady at the bus-stop, wherein the topics of unexpected power-cuts and fuel supply difficulties were being discussed with a young (but impractically-tall) boy. She was assuring him that "these days those sorts of things just don't happen any more".

I think her attitude reflects that held by many of The Great British Public, in that now we have 24hr Tesco supermarkets and McDonalds, and cars that can just be plugged-in anywhere, there will >never< be challenges or changes to the ambient utopia we all bask in the warmth of.

Being older of age, longer of tooth, and shorter of faith, I remain calm: because everything we hear or can be told is merely a perspective and a narrative.

But I am always a little prepared for everything. And anything.

Otherwise I would not consider myself to be a human....

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

I guess it's because somebody decided to make September 'preparedness month'
I'll go with since Sept 2014, on that one. But it has a much (much) older pedigree than that...late 1960s, really.

Last edited:
I think her attitude reflects that held by many of The Great British Public, in that now we have 24hr Tesco supermarkets and McDonalds, and cars that can just be plugged-in anywhere, there will >never< be challenges or changes to the ambient utopia we all bask in the warmth of.

It's a false utopia and could change all too quickly.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Hmmm.

change a diaper - check
plan an invasion - nah
butcher a hog - kinda - I have butchered pheasants and a goose, if that counts
conn a ship - check (kinda - it was just a small boat on a river)
design a building - check
write a sonnet - check
balance accounts - check
build a wall - check
set a bone - nah
comfort the dying - check
take orders - check
give orders - check
cooperate - check
act alone - check
solve equations - check
analyze a new problem - check
pitch manure - check
program a computer - check
cook a tasty meal - check
fight efficiently - nah
die gallantly - not yet

Seemingly every local council and security force has today started Tweeting out messages urging people to pack a #GrabBag so you are ready to flee at a minutes notice in an emergency.

No details of what the emergency could be, or where you are meant to flee to...

Ramping up Project Fear for political gain? Preparing us for something they already know about? Or simply coincidence that this campaign of preparedness has been launched in this pre-Brexit climate?

These are known as Bug-Out Bags. Something Preppers have been prepping for - for years. See also EDC - everyday carry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag

Buy a good knife. Get a compass and Lofty Wiseman’s pocket edition of the SAS survival handbook. Remember that your online connection to the outside world could last a long as the battery. Don’t underestimate the wonder that is duct tape,

I can attest to the value of having a go-bag / grab-bag / bugout-bag available ...

For a long time I'd maintained a standard well-stocked backpack I used for travel (e.g., the default carry-on for air travel). It contained basic items I might need if separated from my main luggage (e.g., spare socks and underwear; two nylon bags with mainline and supplementary toiletries / personal care items). It also included at least one mini-Maglite or headlamp, a multi-blade knfie, and a small multi-tool.

In this backpack I also kept my utility bag - a nylon cordura shoulder pouch (think of a backpacking version of a purse) in which I stored discretionary and useful items. I'd maintained the utility bag for years. In accordance with a personal rule anything I ever found myself lacking on any trip (e.g., sewing kit, spare twist-ties, folding scissors, small note pad, tape, etc.) was obtained and added to the utility bag's inventory.

Circa midnight one evening in April 2013 I discovered a major fire had erupted in the neighboring apartment. I phoned 911, put on my street clothes, grabbed my laptop, shouldered the travel backpack, and exited just as a policewoman stood poised to pound on my door. My apartment was destroyed, and it would be days until I was allowed to re-enter it to retrieve anything. In the mean time I got by with what was in the backpack.

You're an American. You can buy a gun!
I could. I used to be a good shot with a .22 rifle. For many years, I have chosen not to participate in that part of my native culture. Among other things.

I assume it's because Brexit/No Brexit (your choice) will make everyone crack each other’s heads open and feast on the goo inside?

You're an American. You can buy a gun!

You’re British. So can you!

Ermintruder said:
And as for the realities of 'grab-bags'....I don't carry as much (on my person, or in my car) as I used to, but it utterly-astounds me that vast numbers of Brits wander out of their houses in teeshirts and jogging pants, jump into cars with empty fuel-tanks and crash into ditches, in the sure & certain expectation that agents of the local authority and the government will magically-appear to save them, the minute they make an emergency call on their uncharged phones.

Work in a police Force Control Room as a radio operator/call handler for a few years. What you describe above was a Tuesday. Morning. About 1015.

maximus otter

My village (but not where I live now) has a run down industrial estate at the bottom.

With one of the countrys biggest gas depots.

Obviously this is of major concern with the local fire brigade, and if something goes wrong the whole village will be evacuated.

I have taken part in mock emergencies.

Most of my fellow villages are not aware of the depot, the risk, and what might happen if there is an incident.

I am not a prepper (but some people I know are, and yes, they are all the slightly worrying steriotypes of the media, guns and all)

It might be prudent to find out from your local fire station what is in your area...You listen to the emergency advice on a plane or ferry, dont you? (I hope you do).

EnolaGaia, a thought provoking story...what do you reccomend we carry?

You’re British. So can you!
Yes, I know. I did consider getting an airgun to do a bit of light hunting, if food supplies became limited. Those skills could be useful one day.
Dunno that I can justify getting a full-scale kit like you have.

Going back to the specifics of what kicked off this thread rather than survivalism in general, what I found interesting about the image sent out by Police Scotland was that it referred to a "flashlight" rather than a torch. This indicates that it had simply been lifted from some other (presumably American) source and been tweeted without any further thought put into it. It seems to me that a similar lack of thought went into what message releasing it in the current tumultuous UK political climate sends out to the public, who aren't well versed in when "preparedness week" is.

Going back to the specifics of what kicked off this thread rather than survivalism in general, what I found interesting about the image sent out by Police Scotland was that it referred to a "flashlight" rather than a torch. This indicates that it had simply been lifted from some other (presumably American) source and been tweeted without any further thought put into it.
Yes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49631455

Emergency 'grab bag' campaign accused of scaremongering
A police campaign to get the public to prepare a "grab-and-go" bag in case of emergencies has been both criticised and mocked by social media users.

A Police Scotland tweet urged people to pack essentials such as a first aid kit, radio, torch, and food and water.

Its recommendations were part of an annual Preparedness Month, which is being promoted by local authorities and emergency services across the UK.

However, the police force has been accused of scaremongering.

Going back to the specifics of what kicked off this thread rather than survivalism in general, what I found interesting about the image sent out by Police Scotland was that it referred to a "flashlight" rather than a torch. This indicates that it had simply been lifted from some other (presumably American) source and been tweeted without any further thought put into it. It seems to me that a similar lack of thought went into what message releasing it in the current tumultuous UK political climate sends out to the public, who aren't well versed in when "preparedness week" is.

They also use ‘Monster’ where ‘Eel’ would do.

To be fair, no-one prepared us for an announcement on Preparedness Week.

No they did not.

I do think we should be warned in advance.

......Being older of age, longer of tooth, and shorter of faith, I remain calm: because everything we hear or can be told is merely a perspective and a narrative.

But I am always a little prepared for everything. And anything.

Otherwise I would not consider myself to be a human....

― Robert A. Heinlein

I'll go with since Sept 2014, on that one. But it has a much (much) older pedigree than that...late 1960s, really.

Yes, that sounds very sensible. I grew up in rural west of England in the 1970s, power cuts were a regular occurrence due to bad weather, crappy infrastructure and industrial strike action. I still live in a similar type of area and always have some firewood, a camping stove, batteries, candles, medicines and a few other bits and pieces put by, just in case...

Not a grab bag but a 'batten down the hatches and sit tight' box or two!

... EnolaGaia, a thought provoking story...what do you reccomend we carry?

There's no single universal answer ...

It depends on your circumstances and what sort of situation you think you may have to endure. It also depends on whatever other equipment or items you keep stocked outside your home (e.g., in your vehicle).

In my 2013 case (fleeing home in suburbia to survive in suburbia for a while), I was well-served by my standard travel backpack / carry-on. The original point of the backpack was to have one piece of luggage I would personally carry at all times and out of which I could reasonably "survive" if everything else (packed for the trip) were lost.

I maintained it over the years in case I had to go out of town unexpectedly for (e.g.) a family crisis or business trip.

There have also been periods when I maintained a medium sized suitcase with an inventory of clothing suitable for both recreational and more formal (e.g. funerals) occasions, so that I could hit the road on very short notice.

I did a lot of multi-day hiking / camping in my younger days, during which time I kept one of my larger backpacks continuously packed with all the equipment for an unexpected backcountry expedition of at least a weekend's duration (shelter; sleeping bag; etc.). Just add water and food ...

Living way up in the mountains, we keep the car pretty well stocked. Usually we don't take out the boots and jackets until about July, and put them back, well, right about now because you never know what the weather up on the passes will be like. It can snow up there any day of the year, but of course the snow in July is rare and of no significance as far as survival goes. It's a source of amusement, but it can also get pretty chilly up there in the summer.

A co-worker back in the 80s carried Pop Tarts in his vehicle year round, a pretty good stash of them. He said they would provide sustenance and energy in an emergency, and there was no danger of them not being there since no one would eat them unless they had to! I thought that was a great idea, but never got around to buying any.

You men are all grab-bag AMATEURS. Any mother of babies and young children is a world authority on the concept of balancing the need to carry items for every eventuality against the staggering weight of it all.

No worries. I've been Outlander ready since 1991. Got my kit by the bedside. Trailer hooked up. Blankets, water, seeds, weapons, big plastic containers filled with water. Shade. Fuel. I'm surviving for at least 2 days!!

Back