• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Granger Taylor Disappearance (Vancouver Island; 1980)

brownmane

off kilter
Fot those of you who are interested in possible alien abduction stories, I just watched this documentary about Granger Taylor who was a British Columbian resident who went missing in 1980 after telling people he was going to meet and be picked up by aliens. His disappearance has not been solved.

Hopefully the link will work, as I'm not technologically advanced.

https://watch.cbc.ca/media/cbc-docs-pov/season-2/episode-12/38e815a-01056a67b82

There's been no substantive discussion of the Granger Taylor case here. I think this mainly results from the fact the RCMP closed the case and declared him dead based on evidence found in 1986.

Here's an article from the March 31, 1986, edition of The Montreal Gazette, p. 11:

GTaylor-860331-Bones.jpg

SOURCE: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...hgiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_qUFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5434,5343562

... And here are excerpts from a 2019 article about the recent documentary.

In 1986, truck fragments and bones were found at a blast site on Mount Prevost. Though DNA testing was not prevalent at the time, pathology work by the coroner attributed the adult human bones to Taylor.

Fragments of clothing found amid the decayed material were from a shirt owned by Taylor, as confirmed by his mother, who has since died. The fragments matched the fabric of a shirt she had sewn for him not long before he disappeared.

Representatives from the auto division of the RCMP confirmed the truck was his. A report by the B.C. Coroners office officially declared Taylor dead, and with that, the strange tale of Granger Taylor was officially closed. ...

A report by the B.C. Coroners Service obtained this past week by the Times Colonist includes confirmation that the vehicle identification number of the truck parts found off Satellite Road near Mount Prevost, where Taylor was reportedly headed on the night of Nov. 29, 1980, matched that of Taylor’s truck.

The cause of death listed on the report was massive injuries due to the consequence of an explosion. The finding was based on circumstantial evidence at the site, according to the report. ...

SOURCE: https://www.kamloopsmatters.com/hig...-bc-mans-ufo-claims-and-disappearance-1226301

Forgot to mention ...

Taylor used dynamite to blast tree stumps. As I understand it, his father maintained a stock of it at the family home place.

Furthermore, Taylor's personal acquaintances admitted he kept dynamite stored in his pickup truck - even though they dispute the authorities' conclusion he died when the truck blew up.

According to his family members in the documentary, they (family) had declared him dead in order to be able to carry on with their lives. At the end of the doc, an end note says that a truck similar to Granger's had been spotted in the mountain in 2018, but due to logging and roadways being constantly changed, the site couldn't been found after.

It is also sad to see how disappearances affect those left. His one friend wants to believe that he went to space rather than possibly blew himself up.

Too bad the bones were not at least returned to the family. Again the doc says that the bones went missing after the investigation was finished.

I don't usually follow UFO/abduction stories, but thought someone might enjoy this. I also didn't know that that area in BC is known as being a popular UFO sighting area.

Impossible not to repeatedly misread this thread title it seems.

Taylor-Turnip.jpg

A declaration of death can't be issued without reasonable supporting evidence, at least not until a legally prescribed period of time has elapsed. I don't know about the applicable Canadian laws, but seven years was commonly used as the legal time limit in most US jurisdictions. The RCMP closed the case circa 5.5 years after Taylor disappeared.

It may well be that Granger's own actions prevented a more expeditious declaration of death. He left one or two wills (accounts vary), within which he'd replaced reference to death with the word 'departed'. This, combined with his handwritten note explicitly stating he was going away for 42 months, probably made it impossible to rule he must be dead (e.g., via suicide) - at least until after the 42 months had passed.

Identification numbers on the truck debris found in 1986 were matched to Taylor's truck - one of several vehicles he owned and operated. Some accounts try to blow this off as if it had only been established the debris came from a similar truck. This wasn't the case.

It's not often mentioned the truck remains were discovered in a substantial crater and that some of the truck fragments were hanging in surrounding trees - adding credence to the dynamite explosion explanation.

There's also the fact Taylor's mother identified clothing fragments as being from a shirt she'd made for Granger.

There's another tidbit that suggests Granger may have deliberately acted to mislead others about his destination on that final night.

Some - but not all - accounts mention a connection to Waterloo Mountain (Vancouver Island; circa 20 miles southwest of his hometown Duncan) evident on the note Granger left tacked to his stepfather's bedroom door.

Some accounts state the note was written on the back of a topographic profile map of Waterloo Mountain. Others claim Granger had hand-drawn a profile of Waterloo Mountain on his note.

The truck fragments and other evidence were found in a wooded area on or near Mount Prevost, which is a lesser distance northwest of Duncan.

If a Waterloo Mountain association had been taken as a clue, any search operations based on it could have been looking in the wrong area.

Here's another tidbit concerning the amount of dynamite Granger apparently had with him on the night he went missing.

This image (such as if is) is of a 1986 Canadian newspaper article. The newspaper's identity and date of publication are unknown (The Canadian Press is a national news agency).

According to this Taylor may have been in possession of "twelve sticks of dynamite and other explosives", regardless of how much dynamite he may have routinely kept available for blowing out tree stumps. Twelve sticks of dynamite is more than sufficient to blast a small pickup and occupant to smithereens (and fine-grained smithereens at that).

The phrasing gives the impression his possession of these materials (at least these particular ones in this quantity) was not known until they were found to be missing from his family's home.

I don't know what the 'other explosives' may have been. My default guess is that the allusion is to blasting caps.

Back