• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gravestones / Tombstones / Headstones & Epitaphs Thereon

The skull and crossbones was a fairly common symbol in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, particularly in times of plague I think. Essentially it was a reminder to all who passed by that sometime they too would die (insert evil laugh here if necessary), and was often accompanied by a morbid little poem on the transience of life...

Can anyone find the full text of a very long Epitaph from Lustleigh churchyard in Devon. It commerates the death of a local watchmaker in 1802. It begins :

Here lies in horizontal position the outside case of George Routleigh watchmaker,
Wound up, In hope of being taken in hand,
By his Maker,
And of being thoroughlye cleaned, repaired,
And set agoing,
In the World to come.

I remember seeing it a few years (ok many years ...) ago on a visit, but cant remember the rest of it.

That clip came from this site which has other interesting Epitaphs too.

<edited cus Tangle cussnt spull>

Found it :)

Although this site places it in Dyford Churchyard, near Dartmoor. I am sure it was in Lustleigh when i saw it, so maybe it moves around to confuse folks.

Here lies, in a horizontal position, the outside case of George Routleigh, watchmaker, whose abilities in that line were an honour to his profession. Integrity was the mainspring, and prudence the regulator, of all the actions of his life. Humane, generous, and liberal, his hand never stopped till he had relieved distress. So nicely regulated were all his motions that he never went wrong except when set-a-going by people who did not know his key, even then he was easily set right again. He had the art of disposing his time so well, that his hours glided away in one continual round of pleasure and delight, till an unlucky minute put a period to his existence. He departed this life November 14 1802 aged 57, wound up in hopes of being taken in hand by his Maker; and of being thoroughly cleaned, repaired, and set-a-going in the world to come

From here

As my epitaph I think I'd like:

'She was good at crosswords'

What would anyone else like as their epitaph?

Carole

fave epitaph

My favorite epitaph was one I saw in Key West, FL. It read simply, 'I told you I was sick.'

:devil:

Growing up in rural New England, next door to a large cemetary, collecting grave rubbings of interesting epitaphs and gravestones was a childhood hobby of mine.

An epitaph that I came across often, usually on a stone dating from the late 18th-early 19th century, reads:

Reader beware as you pass by

As you are living, so once was I

As I am now, so you will be

Prepare for death and follow me

IIRC, this was the standard epitaph used on graves belonging to members of a particular religious/idealogical persuasion; I have tried looking for the specifics to no avail - anyone able to help?

It used to freak me out! What a macabre inscription. It often would appear with a winged head carving, meant to look like the deceased.

I dont know, my favourite epitaph is the one my Great Grandmother wants on hers if she ever dies...
'She wouldn't die so we shot her."
Though my younger, thirteen year old brother favours the line "My first word was 'sister', my last was 'off'." If he keeps that up then I might carve it for him...

Re: Nasty

The Yithian said:
Hmm, inscriptions. I'd advise you to leave your worldly affairs in the hands of someone trusted or else you may get this:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/grave.asp
(hope no one has posted this already)

:rofl: Filing that one for future reference. I have two ex-husbands I may have the pleasure of burying. :laughing:

I fancy a bit o' the Bard for my Epitaph.

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended:
That you have but slumbered here,
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yeilding but a dream,"

Cujo

Re: talking about facing west/east...

ginoide said:
i've always wondered why james joyce uses this sentence as a synonym of "it's time to die":
"the time had come for him to set out on his journey westward"
("the dead", last paragraph, when you're already drenched in tears)

like, west is where the sun sets, ok. but down here (and in latin culture, and in greek culture) (AFAIK, of course) west is not a synonym of death. not at all.
is that a celtic thing? is that a merely joyce thing?

To the Celts the mystical Tir Nan Og (Land of the young), where people went when they died was an island to the west of Ireland.

Cujo

And when an ancient Egyptian died, it was said that he 'went to the west'.

Carole

Jobbo said:
I went on an excellent tour of Highgate Cemetery last week.

Ah, that's been on the cards for a while, just waiting for the woman to get some time off work. Did the guides mention bloodsuckers at all? I can't imagine such questions being taken well.

The Yithian said:
Did the guides mention bloodsuckers at all? I can't imagine such questions being taken well.
Careful :hmph:...

For those unaware of the history on this board of the words "bloodsucker" and "Highgate" being together in one sentence, suffice to say last time it came up it actually invoked threatened litigation. With a moderator being named. And he didn't take it all that well, despite his usually affable and calm demeanour :furious:.

In a long piece on the origin of the word 'teetotal', the World Wide Words newsletter includes this:
It's accepted that the word, at least in the abstinence sense, was coined by Richard "Dicky" Turner in a speech he gave to a temperance meeting in Preston, Lancashire, in September 1833.

Turner was an illiterate working man, a fish hawker, who had visited one of the early Preston temperance meetings in 1832 as a joke while half-drunk, but who came out of the meeting a convert. He was one of the founding Seven Men of Preston who signed the pledge and became a fervent advocate of that form of temperance that demanded total abstention from all forms of
alcoholic drink, not just spirits as some more moderate reformers
urged.

There's no formal record of what he said at the meeting - one
report had it that his words were "nothing but the tee-total would
do" but it is also claimed that he said in his strong local accent, "I'll be reet down out-and-out t-t-total for ever and ever".
Here's where it all gets a bit murky. Did Dicky Turner stutter, did
he invent a new word by adding "t" as an intensifier to the front of "total", or was he using one already known? We will probably never be entirely sure. What is certain, though, is that his word caught on in the local temperance movement, was often quoted in its journal, the Preston Temperance Advocate, giving the credit to him as inventor, and soon became a standard word in the language.

Richard Turner died in 1846 and is buried in St Peter's churchyard in Preston; he may be the only person in the world whose claim to have invented a new word is cited on his tombstone.
Anyone near there who can verify this?

(It seems that the word may have existed earlier, but not in connection with the demon drink. Incidentally, there is a Temperance Hall in town here, not far from the Off Licence, and even closer to two buildings which used to be pubs! :) )

stu neville said:

For those unaware of the history on this board of the words "bloodsucker" and "Highgate" being together in one sentence, suffice to say last time it came up it actually invoked threatened litigation.

Sorry Stu. Was just curious as i read an account somewhere online that said the guides at the cemmetary had a sense of humour failing when asked about the whole business. Nothing libellous. Don't wanna get anyone sued - honest. Discussion closed. :)

stu neville said:

For those unaware of the history on this board of the words "bloodsucker" and "Highgate" being together in one sentence, suffice to say last time it came up it actually invoked threatened litigation. With a moderator being named. And he didn't take it all that well, despite his usually affable and calm demeanour :furious:.

Well, they're quite sensitive because they've apparently suffered vampire-related vandalism.

Apart from the "Highgate Vampire" bumph, they've suffered a great deal from vandals and one of their main expenses these days is simple security.

Bram Stoker's inspiration by the General's tomb was freely mentioned, however.

I was actually very tempted to join the Friends of Highgate Cemetary as it fits in rather neatly with my interest in Victorian follies.

This afternoon I happened to be in the area and popped into my local cemetry to visit my cousins grave. Next to his grave theres a very small plot reserved solely for children (which i usually avoid because it upsets me too much) but this afternoon it was quite beautiful. Nearly every grave had flowers (obviously) lanterns hanging on poles, numerous wind-chimes, reflective mobiles, balloons, toys, it was eeriely beautiful and not at all sad, the wind chimes were especially wonderful and the colours just hit you in the face.......I've never seen this before in any public cemetry and I'm wondering how common it is.......it's certainly something that's stuck in my mind.

Over here in cemetaries the children's sections are often highly visible due to pinwheels, brightly colored balloons, things like that. People are rather limited with what they can do because the cemetaries have restrictive rules about what you can and can't plant on graves now, but they work around it.

so what arnt you allowed to put on "your" grave stone?

They have rules about what kind of plants you can plant on the grave, some allow like small trees or flowering bushes, some only allow a plant that will bloom and die (non-permanent needing no care) and others won't let you plant anything, only flower arrangements. Most now will not let you have a 'standing' headstone or monument, requiring a flat marker (that can easily be mowed over). Less time trimming around graves.:rolleyes:

Back