• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gravestones / Tombstones / Headstones & Epitaphs Thereon

I kinda like this one
grave.jpg

And i think on my headstone, not that i gonna have one, but if i was, i would have <God Snip> as i spend an aweful lot of time on forums

Not really related but we got a Bedlington Terrier puppy about 6 weeks ago...sorry to derail, please carry on...

On Tipping Point this afternoon, neither of the two remaining contestants knew the answer to this question:

Which member of the Goons had "I told you I was ill" engraved on his headstone?

Last edited:
On Tipping Point this afternoon, neither of the two remaining contestants knew the answer to this question:

"Mr Goon" :confused:

Tipping Point is a guilty pleasure for me when I have the time. It seems to attract people with little general knowledge who can be guaranteed to come up with some "interesting" answers.

Spike, of course. I didn't even have to look that one up.

I was yelling "Spike Milligan!" at the telly but then Tipping Point has that effect on me.

Tipping Point: 15 of the stupidest ever quiz answers
Ben Shephard’s daytime quiz has featured some of the most unfortunate gameshow fails of all time.

• By Alex Fletcher
    Last updated: 17 February 2016, 16:22 GMT
    Print this story

One of the joys of watching daytime quiz shows is that you can sit at home, occasionally mess up an answer and nobody will know about it.

Another joy is being able to snigger at the contestants who do mess up and are left with nowhere to hide their shame.

Ben Shephard’s weekday ITV quiz Tipping Point seems to have more classic blunders and bloopers than any other show on the box at the moment. Let’s just say they don’t have too many Mensa members taking part.

Here are 15 of the stupidest ever answers on Tipping Point.

tipping-point-136403938051803901-160211163940.jpg

1. Question: Manuel Valls is Prime Minster of which European country?
    Answer: Africa

2. Question: St Patrick banished snakes from which European country?
    Answer: Spain

3. Question: In science, which electrical unit is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta
    Answer: Amp

4. Question: The Churchill Factor is a novel about which former Prime Minister?
    Answer: Margaret Thatcher

5. Question: Which tool is used for knocking in nails?
    Answer: A chisel

6. Question: Who wrote the novel Far From The Madding Crowd?
    Answer: Jilly Cooper

The daftest, stupidest and funniest quiz show answers of all time

The 7 worst Pointless answers ever given to Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman

7. Question: In 1841, who introduced the first package holiday?
    Answer: British Airways

8. Question: The name of the Queen single is Bohemian…?
    Answer: Devil

9. Question: In the Bible, Calvary was the site of the crucifixion of which Biblical character?
    Answer: Joan of Arc

10. Question: Which book by Markus Zusak tells the story of a 10-year-old girl living in Nazi Germany in 1938?
    Answer: The Diary of Anne Frank

11. Question: In 1955 which British Prime Minister resigned and was replaced by Anthony Eden.
    Answer: John Major.

12. Question: What was the name of Roy Disney’s famous younger brother?
    Answer: Wally

13. Question: On a graph, the vertical axis is named after which letter?
    Answer: N

14. Question: Which Saint is commemorated on the English flag?
    Answer: St David

15. Question: What day is Christmas day traditionally celebrated in the UK?
    Answer: Wednesday

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/tipping-point-15-of-the-stupidest-ever-quiz-answers-11364039532430

Ha ha! Some crackers there!

By contrast, today's The Chase had a pretty bright team (one of whom had won Brain of Britain before), and the team kept clear of the Chaser and the three of them went home with thousands of pounds!

(But I expect the Mods will be along shortly and move all this stuff to a TV Quiz thread! :) )

spike milligan

I'm having "I'm So Goth I'm Dead" on mine.

No, I'm not a Goth, but one Halloween I dressed up as one, and a friend wrote that phrase across my back with eyeliner.

Sounded like the perfect epitaph to me. ;)

Builders make grave discovery under floorboards while working on new History Centre
By Sarah_Herald | Posted: April 28, 2017

Old gravestones have been unearthed at a former Plymouth church as demolition work gets underway to convert it into the region's most prestigious art gallery.
St Luke's Church stopped functioning as a place of worship in 1964 and is now being transformed into a brand new cultural and heritage attraction.

But as the floorboards were ripped up, builders made the grave discovery.
28042017_04-13.jpg

Photos: Paul Slater Images

Senior building manager for the project, Kristian Cartwright, said: "We actually always knew they were there under the timber floor. And we always knew they were gravestones only and not graves, and that there were no bodies there.

"The archaeologist was already booked in when we lifted up the floor, so as soon as the timber was up, the archaeologist came in and recorded exactly where everything was, including the size and location of everything, which is plotted alongside all the historical information that we have for the project.
"The stones will then be presented back to the council, which will then put them in its archives."

Asked if the team had found anything else lurking under the floorboards, he said: "We found a couple of nice, old beer bottles from a brewery in Plympton, but they were empty unfortunately.
"Because the floor was rebuilt in the 1960s, anything that might have been under there has already gone. I've worked at quite a few really old buildings and you find things and think, 'Why on earth did they put that there?'"

Tavistock Place, where the church was constructed in 1828, has been temporarily shut off to pedestrians and vehicles as the area is revamped into a pedestrianised plaza.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/bui...mouth-church/story-30300857-detail/story.html

Just stumbled across this while googling for a place in Georgia:

Mob deep: Russian mafia gravestones – in pictures

In Denis Tarasov’s series of grandiose tributes, the graves of Russian gangsters and their families in Yekaterinburg are eerily decorated with cars, jewels and fine wines to flaunt their wealth

b4i3d2.jpg
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...ob-deep-russian-mafia-gravestones-in-pictures

I did notice that one guys was standing in front of a Lada, the other showing off his Daewoo to the generations to come. Goes to show that status symbols are subject to sometimes rapid change.

Spike had promised for years to have that as his epitaph. I saw him explain it on TV, possibly the Parkinson chat show.

As Spike was a hypochondriac his family didn't take him seriously if he said he felt ill so he'd say 'When I die of this I'm having 'I told you I was ill!' on my grave!'

So the epitaph was his final joke.

Kingsize Wombat said:
...the graves of Russian gangsters...are eerily decorated with cars, jewels and fine wines...

Still dead though, aren’t they?

Hmmm... “1967-1993”, “1970-1995”? l win! “Retired policeman, 1955-UFN”!

maximus otter

Popped in to snap this grave again, with its interesting message:

Always Look close up.jpg

Here is the grave, with the matching bench beside it. On the other side of the bench is an inscription dedicating it to weary visitors.
As I was on my bike and people were gathering for a funeral I didn't go wandering round the back!

Always Look ans bench.jpg

Son No 2's current epitaph request is, "Well, shit, that didn't work". Says a lot about one's train of thought at 22...

Chilling tale of murder, Frankenstein experiments and a book bound by human skin

Her white gravestone, on the edge of a churchyard in Godmanchester, Cambs, sends a chill down the spine of anyone who comes across it.

“To the memory of Mary Ann Weems,” it reads, “who was Murdered in the 21st Year of her Age.”

0_BOX_CAMB_Weems_07JPG.jpg

Even more hair-raising, though, is the epitaph engraved on the back of the stone, which recounts details of how she met her death “as a warning to the young of both sexes”.

It reads that Mary became “acquainted” with Thomas Weems at an early age, “terminating in a compulsory marriage”.

It continues: “Wishing to be Married to another Woman he filled up the measure of his iniquity by resolving to murder his Wife which he barbarously perpetrated at Wendy on their Journey to London toward which place he had induced her to go under the mask of reconciliation.”

A eerie verse at the bottom of the gravestone, meanwhile, reads: “Ere Crime you perpetrate survey this Stone, Learn hence the God of Justice sleeps not on his Throne, But marks the Sinner with unerring Eye, The suffering Victim hears and makes the Guilty die."

And while she was laid to rest at the 800-year-old church St Mary The Virgin, her murderer Weems' fate was even more macabre.

He was executed, experimented on, then his skin used to bind a book now sitting on the shelf of a Cambridge University library.

Because of the barbaric nature of his crime, there was so little public sympathy for him that authorities agreed to allow his body to be used in the strange experiments, which involved passing electricity currents through it to see if parts of the body could be revived.

“Professor Cumming had prepared a powerful galvanic battery with the intention of repeating some of the experiments lately described by Dr Ure of Glasgow”.

The experiments involved applying to parts of the body some “‘220 pairs of double six inch plates charged with dilute sulphuric and fuming nitrous acid" to give the galvanic batteries "intense action".

Finally and even more bizarrely, a square piece of Weems’ skin was sent to the University bookbinder, which was made into the macabre cover of a book and shelved for posterity in Sir Christopher Wren’s library.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chilling-tale-murder-frankenstein-experiments-16155430

maximus otter

Attachments

• 0_BOX_CAMB_Weems_07JPG.jpg
    0_BOX_CAMB_Weems_07JPG.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
The graveyard where my parents reside is nice enough, but governed by strict rules regarding the type of headstone and the incription on it. There's no 'Mom' or 'Dad' or 'Nanna' allowed for example, they're in the presence of aristocracy after all (Dukes of Bedford).
So when I saw the cat on a headstone in St Mary's in Northchurch, near the grave of Peter the Wild Boy, I had to smile.
I haven't blacked out the names of Rod and Kath Tattam because I think that would be disrespectful, their stone cheered me up and that is how they should be remembered.

Cat Grave_0103.jpg

Listening to the radio last night, it was mentioned on there that Professor Stanley Unwin has a message on his gravestone (he shares it with his wife) that reads: "Reunitey in the heavenly-bode. Deep joy!" I checked Google Images and indeed it does! Then I was down an internet rabbit hole looking at celebrity gravestones. Mel Blanc's says "That's all, folks!"

Listening to the radio last night, it was mentioned on there that Professor Stanley Unwin has a message on his gravestone (he shares it with his wife) that reads: "Reunitey in the heavenly-bode. Deep joy!" I checked Google Images and indeed it does! Then I was down an internet rabbit hole looking at celebrity gravestones. Mel Blanc's says "That's all, folks!"
I know this insnt the epitaph thread but hey, i didnt start it lol

Spike Milligan's Gravestone with the epitaph "I told you I was ill" written in Gaelic, St Thomas's Church, Winchelsea, East Sussex. UK
K541NC.jpg

Back