• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Graveyard Honey

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
I thought we had a thread on Fortean Food but the sites search engine couldn’t find it. So here it is.

This Honey Made in a Brooklyn Cemetery Is Probably Not Haunted​

Every other Sunday, Davin Larson heads to Green Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, not to pay his respects to the dead but to tend to his honeybees. This will be the third year that the cemetery has produced its cleverly named Sweet Hereafter honey, which is only available on-site each fall. The honey has developed a cult following amongst Brooklyn residents—and even people from further afield—who jump at the opportunity to buy jars of honey with such a vivid, slightly ghoulish backstory.

"I mean, everyone loves local honey," says manager of public engagement and development, John Connolly, "but especially having the unique provenance of cemetery honey is huge as a gift item."

Full Story. https://www.foodandwine.com/news/honey-made-in-brooklyn-cemetery-probably-not-haunted

Last edited:
Wisconsin apiary Fairy Garden Hives markets their "Silent City Honey":

"... harvested from our hives at Forest Home Cemetery in Milwaukee. Forest Home Cemetery is Level II accredited Arboretum, which lends its green taste to this honey. Proceeds of the sale go to the cemetery, which is a not for profit organization."

https://fairygardenhives.com/store/Silent-City-Honey-p381950326

SilentCityHoney.jpg

Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville (resting place for, e.g., Colonel Sanders and Muhammad Ali) also has bee hives producing honey ...

CaveHillCemeteryHoney.jpg
The historic Cave Hill Cemetery in the Highlands is well known as the final resting place of prominent citizens from Col. Harlan Sanders to George Rogers Clark and Muhammad Ali. It's also well-known as the largest cemetery in Kentucky, with expansive, beautiful 296-acre arboretum grounds.

What many people don't know about is a side project that Cave Hill Cemetery staff started in 2017 — beekeeping.

Turns out the cemetery's abundance of flowers and plant life and proximity to Beargrass Creek make it an ideal environment for honeybees.

Now, Cave Hill Cemetery has about 10 active beehives and produces about 900 pounds of honey per season, which runs from April to August. The honey is bottled and sold at the cemetery, with proceeds going to the Cave Hill Heritage Foundation. The honey even won a blue ribbon in the light amber honey category at last year's Kentucky State Fair. ...
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ers-bee-keep-store-and-sell-honey/7554366001/

There are other cemeteries that include honey-producing apiaries. According to the Cave Hill Cemetery website additional sites include:
Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri, and West Laurel Hill Cemetery in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania, keep bees.
In New York, Woodlawn Cemetery in The Bronx makes honey ...

I’m seeing a future marketing opportunity here: With the current fad for human composting/burying bodies in the wild/planting trees and so on over corpses, an apiarist with a taste for the macabre could market his product as being derived from the dear departed.

I believe that with thoughtful choice of planting, the honey can even be induced to acquire a hint of colour. lmagine green honey! (Can l trademark the word “Zombee”?)

maximus otter

I believe that with thoughtful choice of planting, the honey can even be induced to acquire a hint of colour. lmagine green honey! (Can l trademark the word “Zombee”?)
Aready prior art...
oZbJ9fxK_400x400.jpg

Back