Great Acts Of Stupidity

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Heh. Most of the tour guides didn't say much about that, but as I recall the next eruption is overdue at least by some measures. So yeah, any minute now. Might be a perfect finale to 2020.

My visits there were in the early and mid 90s, or five years or so after the big fire that "destroyed the park" as some headlines read. There were many large areas burned, but it's a natural process and the park was still magnificent. Many of the burned areas already had small trees and other vegitation growing back. Anyway, I ended up seeing quite a bit of video of the fires and the human element, much of that being large groups of people fleeing. It was amazing. The Park Service rounded up everyone who was still there and caravanned them out through the smoke in their own vehicles. I'd have been long gone by then, but as we're seeing right now there are huge numbers of people who lack basic common sense.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A Twente novice motorist lost his licence on the night of Friday to Saturday because he was driving with alcohol on the N18.
When his brother-in-law came to pick him up, he appeared to be drunk behind the wheel. The driver's father was then ticketed when he too crawled behind the wheel with a sip to go to his son.

Haaksbergen police reported on Facebook on Saturday that she received a report about a car lying upside down in the roadside along the N18. The occupants had already left the vehicle and had only minor injuries.
Officers at the scene smelled alcohol at the driver, who was found to have consumed four times the permitted amount of alcohol, blowing 370 ugl, while up to 95 ugl was allowed. After a report had been made against him, it became clear that his car was not insured and that he had already lost his licence. The police therefore wrote two more reports.

To help the driver, his brother-in-law had driven to the N18, but police also smelled an alcohol smell. The man blew 470 ugl, while he was given a limit of 220 ugl. That's why the police made a report against him.

While all this was taking place, a police unit was on their way to the location to assist. She found a scooter that was riding on the N18, when this is not allowed. At the check,the driver appeared to be the father of the novice motorist.
Once again, the police smelled alcohol. The man blew 720 ugl, where 220 ugl was allowed. He lost his driver's license and he was also charged.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/605321...ader-na-elkaar-betrapt-op-dronken-rijden.html

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Boys let black widow bite them in hopes of turning into Spider-Man

Three young Bolivian brothers were hospitalized after getting a black widow spider to bite them — thinking it would turn them into Spider-Man, according to officials.

The Marvel-loving siblings — aged 12, 10 and 8 — found the spider while herding goats in Chayanta, a Ministry of Health official revealed

Thinking it would give them superhero powers, they prodded it with a stick until it bit each of them in turn, the official said.

Finding them crying, their mom rushed them to a nearby health center, which transferred them to a nearby hospital, Telemundo said.

The would-be Peter Parkers were transferred a third time, taken to the Children’s Hospital in La Paz the next day with fevers, tremors and muscle pains, according to the report.

There, they were successfully treated and discharged last Wednesday, almost a week after they were bitten, the report says.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/25/boys-let-black-widow-bite-them-in-hopes-of-turning-into-spider-man/

maximus otter

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Idiots, they will be drinking disinfectant next...

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This could have turned out a lot worse. Video of the incident is available at the link.

Let's hope these folks are as lucky with the marriage itself ...
Giant wave sweeps newlyweds into the ocean during photo shoot

A wedding photo shoot on a California beach ended in near disaster when the newlyweds were swept from a large rock by a giant wave.

A witness captured video of the scene near the Montage Hotel in Laguna Beach when the couple, dressed in their wedding garb, were hit by a giant wave and swept into the water. ...

The video shows a team of lifeguards hurrying to rescue the drenched, but uninjured, couple. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...o-the-ocean-during-photo-shoot/5091593720680/

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Church ‘prophet’ runs at lions to prove God will save him, has buttocks mauled

Metro News, 12 March, 2016

A Christian leader has had his buttocks mauled by a lion after running towards the creature to try and prove the ‘Lord’s power over animals’.

Alec Ndiwane, a Zion church leader, was on safari with fellow members of his church when he decided to show how God would save him if he approached a pride of feeding lions.

Ndiwane, who calls himself a ‘prophet’ was said to have fallen into a ‘deep trance’ before charging at the lions in South Africa’s Kruger national Park. He was also speaking in tongues.

But the man quickly realised God was not going to save him after the lions gave chase, very much viewing him as prey.

The church leader sprinted back to the car but not before one of the animals sunk his jaws into his bum, Ghanaweb reported.

Ndiware was taken to hospital where emergency surgeons stitched up the injuries to his behind and he was later discharged.
[END]

https://www.metro.co.uk/2016/03/12/...od-will-save-him-has-buttocks-mauled-5748022/

One can merely speculate if Mr Ndiwane, later reflecting on his lion-munched derrière, concluded his presumptions were somewhat half-arsed in the first place...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A man is offering a Welsh council £7.4 million to dig in its tip for his lost Bitcoin

4 Dec 2017, Wales Online

The owner of a laptop containing $100 million worth of Bitcoin lost in a Newport dump is battling the council for his right to dig for it.

Four years ago, Welsh IT worker James Howells says he accidentally threw away a hard drive full of Bitcoin which he believes is now worth more than $100 million (around £74 million).

He’s been fighting Newport city council ever since for a permit to look for the computer, which contains over 7,500 units of the cryptocurrency and is buried below thousands of tonnes of rubbish on a landfill site.

A spokesperson for the council said James has been told “on several occasions” he will not be given a permit despite his offer of a 10% cut.

The 32-year-old says the council has repeatedly “stonewalled” him even though he claims to have several investors lined up to fund the dig.

He added: “How can they leave $100 million in the ground when making cuts to services left right and centre"?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-offering-welsh-council-74-13993161

If, like myself, you have a metal detector and had known about this at the time, then could have offered to help..

Hang on though.. does that say, 'buried in a landfill rubbish dump'...

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
A man is offering a Welsh council £7.4 million to dig in its tip for his lost Bitcoin

4 Dec 2017, Wales Online

The owner of a laptop containing $100 million worth of Bitcoin lost in a Newport dump is battling the council for his right to dig for it.

Four years ago, Welsh IT worker James Howells says he accidentally threw away a hard drive full of Bitcoin which he believes is now worth more than $100 million (around £74 million).

He’s been fighting Newport city council ever since for a permit to look for the computer, which contains over 7,500 units of the cryptocurrency and is buried below thousands of tonnes of rubbish on a landfill site.

A spokesperson for the council said James has been told “on several occasions” he will not be given a permit despite his offer of a 10% cut.

The 32-year-old says the council has repeatedly “stonewalled” him even though he claims to have several investors lined up to fund the dig.

He added: “How can they leave $100 million in the ground when making cuts to services left right and centre"?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-offering-welsh-council-74-13993161

If, like myself, you have a metal detector and had known about this at the time, then could have offered to help..

Hang on though.. does that say, 'buried in a landfill rubbish dump'...
You have to feel a touch sorry for this character.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You have to feel a touch sorry for this character.
I know... you shouldn't laugh... just that... every time I think of our poor fellow, shovel in hand, surveying the impending landscape...

'It must be in there, somewhere...'.

ESS-AdobeStock_123780524_PlasticMountain_resize_13.jpg

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I know... you shouldn't laugh... just that... every time I think of our poor fellow, shovel in hand, surveying the impending landscape...

'It must be in there, somewhere...'
I know there's an awful lot to be said for technology - but try getting $100 million dollars into a wallet you accidentally put out with the recycling.

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
Church ‘prophet’ runs at lions to prove God will save him, has buttocks mauled

Metro News, 12 March, 2016

A Christian leader has had his buttocks mauled by a lion after running towards the creature to try and prove the ‘Lord’s power over animals’.

Alec Ndiwane, a Zion church leader, was on safari with fellow members of his church when he decided to show how God would save him if he approached a pride of feeding lions.

Ndiwane, who calls himself a ‘prophet’ was said to have fallen into a ‘deep trance’ before charging at the lions in South Africa’s Kruger national Park. He was also speaking in tongues.

But the man quickly realised God was not going to save him after the lions gave chase, very much viewing him as prey.

The church leader sprinted back to the car but not before one of the animals sunk his jaws into his bum, Ghanaweb reported.

Ndiware was taken to hospital where emergency surgeons stitched up the injuries to his behind and he was later discharged.
[END]

https://www.metro.co.uk/2016/03/12/...od-will-save-him-has-buttocks-mauled-5748022/

One can merely speculate if Mr Ndiwane, later reflecting on his lion-munched derrière, concluded his presumptions were somewhat half-arsed in the first place...
Reality bites. Some folks will never learn, even after hundreds of years apparently.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I admit I don't know a huge amount about it, but surely Bitcoin is just data? It's not a physical thing stored in a laptop.

Is it not just 'credit' on a site, kinda like PayPal?

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Carlos: It isn't simply like that. The bitcoins are unique pieces of data, which can't simply be copied or moved around. . Losing the password for your laptop is like losing the key to your vault.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as great stupidity, but attending a locked-down video meeting with your colleagues whilst taking a shower, did strike me as rather amusing:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ter-showing-during-livestreamed-video-meeting

Whilst not quite as revealing, I came within a body hair of doing something within the same ball-park last week.
My team has a virtual meeting on Zoom just before Wednesday lunchtimes and, as I have been working from home, with my conservatory being my new office, I was wilting a bit in 30+ degree heat and only had my shorts on. As soon as I clicked the [Enter meeting now] button, I suddenly realised that the sight of my un-draped torso probably wouldn't be much appreciated, so ran upstairs to grab a t-shirt and rejoined the meeting just in time.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Carlos: It isn't simply like that. The bitcoins are unique pieces of data, which can't simply be copied or moved around. . Losing the password for your laptop is like losing the key to your vault.
Ah well that explains it then. So they can't be backed-up? Seems.... insecure.

EDIT: And a quick Google confirms it's completely possible to backup your Bitcoin wallet, in case you need to restore it. So the guy with the laptop is in fact totally at fault for not backing-up his data. What an idiot.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as great stupidity, but attending a locked-down video meeting with your colleagues whilst taking a shower, did strike me as rather amusing:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ter-showing-during-livestreamed-video-meeting

Whilst not quite as revealing, I came within a body hair of doing something within the same ball-park last week.
My team has a virtual meeting on Zoom just before Wednesday lunchtimes and, as I have been working from home, with my conservatory being my new office, I was wilting a bit in 30+ degree heat and only had my shorts on. As soon as I clicked the [Enter meeting now] button, I suddenly realised that the sight of my un-draped torso probably wouldn't be much appreciated, so ran upstairs to grab a t-shirt and rejoined the meeting just in time.
A wave of discomfort rippled across the videochat as he got out of the shower. “Say something to Berni. Say something to him quickly,” one colleague could be heard saying. Another asked: “We can’t disconnect him or do something?” The mayor swiftly took control, bringing an end to the meeting.

As video of the incident made the rounds online, Bustillo took to social media, saying he was at “complete peace” with what had transpired. He stressed that it had been an innocent accident – a failure of technological know-how rather than anything nefarious.