• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

This guy ignored the zoo's safety barrier to get closer to a big cat enclosure, taunted a jaguar, and reached through the enclosure's fence. Just deserts ensued ...
Florida zoo: Man injured by jaguar after crossing barrier

A man was injured by a jaguar at a Florida zoo ...

The man was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries ...

The man climbed over a waist-high safety barrier that puts about 4 feet (1.2 meters) of empty space between visitors and the jaguar exhibit’s fence, zoo spokeswoman Kelly Rouillard said. The man began taunting the jaguar and reached his hand through the fence, she said.

A 12-year-old big cat named Harry swiped at the man and injured him. Rouillard said the feline was acting as part of his normal behavior for a wild animal and didn’t expect anything to happen to him. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-florida-3b2a3fc6d53dde9ac66d1e224f1f8704

Was chatting with a relation about arsenic (as you do!) and was reminded of the 1858 Bradford sweets poisoning which killed 21 people and made a further 200 seriously ill.

At the time sugar was often replaced with cheaper alternatives such as powdered gypsum. A confectioner was accidentally sold arsenic trioxide instead - easy mistake to make! - and made up a batch of the fatal humbugs.
Bah, humbugs!
I don't think that there is any other website where I would hear the phrase 'a batch of the fatal humbugs'.
I once had a batch of the fatal humbugs, walked funny for a week, but I'm fine now...

He refused to supply his details and was admitted to hospital under the name of Mr Claude Ball.
But we all know who he is anyway, he's a Florida Guy!

If you're going to illegally convert your pistol to full-automatic capability it's a bad idea to show off your homemade machine pistol on Instagram.
D.C. Man Flaunts New Machine Gun on Instagram, Promptly Gets Arrested

A D.C. man took to Instagram Live last Saturday to show off a 9mm handgun that had been converted to fully-automatic fire. What he apparently didn’t know was that the D.C. Metro Police were among those watching. ... Cops recognized Parker and figured out his location, arriving on the scene “within minutes” of the broadcast, the complaint states. There, they encountered Parker and found “in plain-view, a handgun with a drum magazine on the driver’s seat” of a car Parker was seen in during the Instagram video. “The firearm was determined to be an unserialized 9mm Personally Manufactured Firearm, commonly referred to as a ‘ghost gun,’” and was “loaded with one round in the chamber and 36 rounds in the attached drum magazine’” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.thedailybeast.com/dc-ma...-gun-on-instagram-promptly-gets-arrested-docs

Both shooter and victim were busted, but I'm still gonna call this one "act of stupidity." For future reference ... If you want to tease a cat with the old "chase the laser dot" gag, use some laser other than the gunsight on a handgun someone left lying around.
Woman using gun’s laser sight to play with cat shoots friend

A Wisconsin woman accidentally shot a friend while using the laser sight on a handgun to play with a cat, authorities said.

A criminal complaint charging the 19-year-old woman with negligent use of a weapon said she was visiting a Kenosha apartment on Tuesday afternoon where a 21-year-old man had brought a handgun.

The woman, who a witness said had been drinking, picked up the handgun, “turned on the laser sight and was pointing it at the floor to get the cat to chase it,” when the gun went off ...

The man, who was standing in a doorway, was shot in the thigh ... He left and went into another apartment, where police found him after responding to a 911 call ...

A tourniquet was applied to his leg to stop the bleeding before he was taken to a hospital. There’s no word on his condition, but authorities said he was facing charges for violating bond conditions that prevented him from having a weapon. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-shootings-8d58a17f1db8da3bcb6357b4748985ce

US doctors warn of the danger of the 'Milk Crate' challenge, which is apparently a 'thing' on Tik Tok.

Stack them in a pyramid and then climb and descend the pyramid. Comedy falls result, with potentially severe injuries. Oh my aching sides. This follows on, apparently, from the blackout challenge and Benadryl challenge...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/aug/25/milk-crate-challenge-tiktok-doctors-warnings
Where the hell do you get milk crates from these days?

I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite. :( And it happened . . . in Florida . . . !
Is this the new normal?
Have you ever been to Florida? It is not a pleasant place for the most part. Too many New Jersey retirees for one thing. The weather is awful and the mosquitos can take babies away (almost as big as the Georgia mosquitos (called the Georgia air patrol)

US doctors warn of the danger of the 'Milk Crate' challenge, which is apparently a 'thing' on Tik Tok.

Stack them in a pyramid and then climb and descend the pyramid. Comedy falls result, with potentially severe injuries. Oh my aching sides. This follows on, apparently, from the blackout challenge and Benadryl challenge...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/aug/25/milk-crate-challenge-tiktok-doctors-warnings
They're really flimsy plastic. Just asking for trouble.

Here’s a good idea - ride your scooter on the Aston Expressway after a night out. I’m not even sure if it’s actually electric - it could be a scoot-it-yourself. He’s seen walking it in some of the short vid.

Central Motorway Police Group said he was intoxicated.
1630086614773.png

He (or she) should get a £100 ticket for riding in the lane with a big red 'X' above it.
Plus whatever the courts should deem to fine him for being on the piss.
I don't think a fine exists for being an idiot though.

Police now have the power to punish those who drive in closed lanes on smart motorways, under Home Office legislation recently brought in from June 10.
New traffic cameras will catch drivers using lanes marked with red ‘X’ signs, with offenders facing a £100 fine and three penalty points.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/x-marks-the-fine-for-smart-motorway-rule-breakers/

Not to excuse intoxicated drivers/scooter riders, since that's very stupid and potentially fatal behavior, but if you have to be somewhere, and can't afford a car or a taxi, what do you do in most places, since there's no public transit to speak of? I can't tell you how many times friends of mine and I have tried getting somewhere on foot within three feet of fast moving cars because there's no sidewalk and no way to get to where we were going except along the roadway or over someone's private wall. That's also stupid, but stupid urban planning.

Not to excuse intoxicated drivers/scooter riders, since that's very stupid and potentially fatal behavior, but if you have to be somewhere, and can't afford a car or a taxi, what do you do in most places, since there's no public transit to speak of? I can't tell you how many times friends of mine and I have tried getting somewhere on foot within three feet of fast moving cars because there's no sidewalk and no way to get to where we were going except along the roadway or over someone's private wall. That's also stupid, but stupid urban planning.
Yup, a small private estate off a main street in my town has only one way in and out with just a short road, no pavements. I only know this because I took a wrong turn along there on my bike. I can't understand how the council passed the plans for that.

That's a good point. I lived in a town in the Dallas, TX urban area and there was very good urban planning for the most part. You could ride your bike or walk on trails for miles in either direction into all the other suburban areas around Dallas. Even the older neighborhoods had sidewalks everywhere. In Albuquerque, we have many miles of bike trails but there are areas, like my neighborhood that is very old, that have no sidewalks along stretches. The speed limit on the road I would take if I wanted to walk to the grocery store is 30 mph, but people drive faster and try to go around someone who is turning and has to wait for traffic, when there is really no place to go around. They can't just use their brakes and take a breath. There is a bike trail on that road but it is not very good, just lines delineating where the bikes should go and that is where people pull around so if there were a biker it could be quite dangerous.

Aren't you supposed to just put the filler nozzle into the hole on the side of the car?

Doctors warned Tereshin risked losing the use of his arms after he injected himself with three litres of the petroleum jelly to create cartoonish, bulging muscles, and shared the footage with his 350,000 Instagram followers.

Tereshin injected his biceps with three litres of petroleum jelly. Picture: Supplied

Tereshin injected his biceps with three litres of petroleum jelly.

Tereshin, from the city of Pyatigorsk in the Russian region of Stavropol Krai, had the corrective surgery delayed by nearly a year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’m only 24, and my immune system is so far coping with this inflammation, but I really do not know what will happen next,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...h/news-story/4758f11b7c9bc60bcc07ad236193cf42

Doctors warned Tereshin risked losing the use of his arms after he injected himself with three litres of the petroleum jelly to create cartoonish, bulging muscles, and shared the footage with his 350,000 Instagram followers.

Tereshin injected his biceps with three litres of petroleum jelly. Picture: Supplied

Tereshin injected his biceps with three litres of petroleum jelly.

Tereshin, from the city of Pyatigorsk in the Russian region of Stavropol Krai, had the corrective surgery delayed by nearly a year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’m only 24, and my immune system is so far coping with this inflammation, but I really do not know what will happen next,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...h/news-story/4758f11b7c9bc60bcc07ad236193cf42
It would've been easier to just lift a few weights.

Back