• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

"But it worked when Dad lit the barbeque!"

As an aside, at school there was a short 'phase' we went through, mucking about with lighters and lighter fluid to "breath fire" and set clothes temporarily alight. One such jape was to fill mouth with lighter gas, pinch your lips and ignite as you 'whistled' it out. One youth, forgot to blow and there was a whoosh, singeing his eyebrows and fringe. Luckily no other damage was caused.
Nowadays we have stupid TicTok stunts instead.

Last edited:
I know Enola posted the story above but
This one deserves a caption contest.
View attachment 59241
Muuuuuuumyyyyyyyyy!!
No, no, no- This is how you do it;
monk.jpg

A little respect. A shaman, yes.

I mean note the level of dignity elegance endurance ultimate objectivity in the face of either inferno. Fuckn el.
Yes. Respect to that man for sitting there without reaction. Stoicism beyond belief.

There used to be a video on Youtube - and/or - elsewhere, that featured a Chinese youth showing-off with a blazing cocktail.

It overflowed and created an inferno in his crotch. A cigarette was involved. Darwin asserting himself firmly - but fairly, in the view of many. :nods:

Can't find it on Youtube now, so here it is on the Daily Mail site.

Well worth a revisit! Stoicism was not in his vocabulary!

Wasn't there also a Jackass-type cult of igniting sanitizer gel on the crotch? Carry on, lads!

Last edited:
There used to be a video on Youtube - and/or - elsewhere, that featured a Chinese youth showing-off with a blazing cocktail.

It overflowed and created an inferno in his crotch. A cigarette was involved. Darwin asserting himself firmly - but fairly, in the view of many. :nods:

Wasn't there also a Jackass-type cult of igniting sanitizer gel on the crotch? Carry on, lads!
Flame-scaping or just for a laugh?. I showed someone how to set someone's knees on fire a couple of days ago. What you do is ..

.. you lick a couple of Rizla then stick one to each of your flatmate's knees when he's fallen asleep drunk and you and the Mrs are trying to go to bed but he's just lying there on the end of your bed and he won't wake up, so then you use two lighters and light the Rizla. The glue is so thin that actual damage to the skin is negligible but then he jumps up and starts jogging on the spot and slapping his knees which is really funny. Even he laughed. No injury either ..
Or you could not do that instead because it's still a bit stupid and dangerous. The next time he did that, we shaved Māori designs on his legs instead.

I think they were doing it to themselves and there were videos of it all going a bit post-Stoical! :evillaugh:

l now know the Cantonese for, “Oh bother! Deary deary me!”

maximus otter

Here's a weird story involving stupidity ... I'm not sure which aspect of the story is more stupid - the cause of the fire or the car owner's attempt to weave a tall tale explaining WTF happened.
Phoenix man seriously burned after group loads grocery bags of gasoline into car, causing fire

Police say a Phoenix man is in the hospital with serious burns after a group of men filled grocery bags with gasoline and loaded them into a car, leading to a fire on Thursday morning. Phoenix police say a vehicle was engulfed in flames near 35th Avenue and Ocotillo Road shortly after 8 a.m. Police arrived and found a man in his 40s burned near the car and rushed him to the hospital.

Officers talked to another man at the scene, who said the car was his own. He reportedly told police his vehicle was stolen by a man who burned him with an “unknown object” before stealing his car. The man’s friend allegedly witnessed the robbery and drove to follow the stolen car. The man told police he followed them while walking and found his car on fire, along with his friend who’d been badly burned. ...

However, police soon found out the man’s story wasn’t adding up. Witnesses at the scene reportedly told police a third man was involved, but he didn’t match the suspect’s description. Police confronted the man, who confessed to making up the elaborate story with his friends.

Police later found out the victim had asked his two friends to get gasoline since one of their cars was empty. The men filled several plastic grocery bags with gasoline before loading them into their car. They then picked up the victim and drove where the second vehicle was parked. However, before they arrived, the bags of gasoline ignited with the three men inside the car, causing the vehicle to erupt in flames.

The victim is in extremely critical condition, while another man had minor burns. No one has been arrested. The investigation is ongoing.
SOURCE: https://www.kold.com/2022/09/30/pho...-grocery-bags-gasoline-into-car-causing-fire/

British climber rescued while trying to climb Mont Blanc in a tracksuit

A British climber rescued after trying to climb Mt Blanc in a tracksuit on his birthday has insisted [that] he was 'well prepared' but admitted 'maybe it wasn't a good idea' – as he revealed he thought he had 'died' on the peak.

Aerospace engineer Feda Hussein, 26, was discovered at 10,170ft by alpine rescue teams with his body temperature at 25c – the normal reading is 37c.

He had spent the night in freezing temperatures on the Italian side of the peak which straddles the French border and is the highest in Western Europe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...mb-Mont-Blanc-tracksuit-insists-prepared.html

maximus otter

A British climber rescued after trying to climb Mt Blanc in a tracksuit on his birthday has insisted [that] he was 'well prepared' but admitted 'maybe it wasn't a good idea' – as he revealed he thought he had 'died' on the peak.

Aerospace engineer Feda Hussein, 26, was discovered at 10,170ft by alpine rescue teams with his body temperature at 25c – the normal reading is 37c.

He had spent the night in freezing temperatures on the Italian side of the peak which straddles the French border and is the highest in Western Europe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...mb-Mont-Blanc-tracksuit-insists-prepared.html

maximus otter
I wondered what had happened to Ali G!

maximus otter
Wait...he's an aerospace engineer? Please tell me he's not working on anything safety critical, like for example, 'aeroplanes'.

This Myrtle Beach visitor decided to attempt a handstand on his 15th-floor hotel room's balcony. He fell ...
Man falls, dies after trying to do handstand on 15th-floor balcony at hotel, coroner says

A 34-year-old man is dead after attempting to do a handstand on a balcony at a Myrtle Beach hotel, according to a news release from Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard.

Willard said Markell Hope, of Akron, Ohio, fell from a fifteenth-floor balcony at the Patricia Grand Hotel in South Carolina during an attempt to do a handstand on Friday around 3:30 p.m. EDT.

Hope died at the scene of his injuries, Willard said.

His death has been considered accidental.

The Myrtle Beach Police Department is investigating Hope's death.
SOURCE: https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-w...kron-ohio-chief-deputy-coroner-tamara-willard

A visitor at the Grand Canyon recorded a video of herself hitting one or more golf balls off the canyon's rim into the void, as well as lofting a golf club over the edge. Authorities tracked the self-styled influencer effluencer down, and charges are pending.
A Woman Was Caught Whacking a Golf Ball Into the Grand Canyon, and the Feds Aren’t Happy

On Thursday, NPS officials posted an update on the Grand Canyon’s official Facebook page about a woman who filmed herself hitting a golf ball into the canyon, which she then uploaded to TikTok. In the video, the woman also loses the grip on a golf club and flings it off the cliffside.

According to the update, the incident occurred on Wednesday, October 26, at Mather Point, which is a short walk from the canyon’s main visitor center. Media reports said the TikTok video had already been taken down, but users on Reddit were able to upload and preserve it. Thus, the video lives on.

Officials acted swiftly, and with the help of the general public, were able to track down the woman. According to the update, law enforcement found her on Thursday, October 27, and charges against her are currently pending. The release did not reveal the individual’s name.“Do we really need to say, ‘Don’t hit golf balls into the Grand Canyon?’” officials wrote alongside the update. “Throwing objects over the rim of the canyon is not only illegal but can also endanger hikers and wildlife who may be below.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/golf-balls-grand-canyon/

A wonderful Twitter thread on the many things that you can do wrong with telescopes:

Some gems:

As an undergrad, I tracked the telescope into the horizon limit. I called my advisor and he told me to STAY AS STILL AS POSSIBLE otherwise the mirror would fall out. He immediately drove from MIT to Wellesley to help me fix the issue at 2am. Whoops.

Pointed the telescope into the ground. Spilled all the liquid nitrogen. Had to call engineering at night. 0/10 stars do not recommend.

Someone I know left dome of Dutch 0.9m at La Silla open in poor weather and went to get something to eat. When he came back there was a thin layer of snow on the mirror... If it melts, water could trickle through cassegrain focus into instrument....

I had a professor tell the class a story of someone in the prime focus cage eating a pizza, and a full slice of pizza being found on the primary mirror weeks later

Which one to tell? Poured liquid nitrogen on my thesis advisor who was at prime focus of the @LickObservatory
3m telescope by slewing too soon. (1st CCD used there, electronic boards and dewar were in front of observer's lap).

This isn't my story, but back in the 50s, the crew removing the Plaskett primary mirror for re-coating took a lunch break halfway through with the dome open. The sun moved while they were at lunch. There is a scorch mark still visible on the inside of the dome.

Back