• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

I want to know what the other nine and a half million were doing.
I assumed that some didn't know it had happened, some did know but thought it made perfect sense and the rest didn't give a rat's arse either way.

Couple “trapped” in hi-tech keyless car forgot to try the door handle

Quoted in full from The Poke, seems genuine but who knows?
Long story short; a couple shut themselves into a 'keyless' car without the transponder and were there for 13 hours because they didn't think to try the door handle.

“We were trapped for thirteen hours in our own car” Brian Smith explained to reporters in Alexandra (New Zealand). “and the emergency services told us we’d have died if we’d been there for another half an hour. It’s a keyless car, so when the doors shut and we didn’t have the transponder key, we couldn’t get out. We tried to smash the window with a car jack, and we sounded our horn, but it was Guy Fawkes night and nobody noticed it, due to fireworks. We were trapped.

“By morning my wife Mollyjeanne was unconscious and I was struggling to breathe, when neighbours finally rescued us and took us to hospital. I’ve since been shown how I could have opened the car door manually with the door handle, but I didn’t know that then. I thought the doors would only work with the transponder, so I didn’t try the handle. I think all owners of keyless cars need to educate themselves in how to operate their car”

A spokesman for Mazda New Zealand observed that “it’s not a design flaw in the car. There is always a manual process to override new technologies”.

And then, and then, Techy and I popped out in my car. I got out to do something and the central locking activated itself with him inside.

I didn't know this until I came back and tried to open a back door to put some shopping in. It was locked and wouldn't unlock with the fob. Had to put the key in the driver's door lock, and it opened, then he told me that the car'd spontaneously locked itself. Spooky.

And then, and then, Techy and I popped out in my car. I got out to do something and the central locking activated itself with him inside.

I didn't know this until I came back and tried to open a back door to put some shopping in. It was locked and wouldn't unlock with the fob. Had to put the key in the driver's door lock, and it opened, then he told me that the car'd spontaneously locked itself. Spooky.
My car does that. When I have a passenger who has got out, I have to let them back in when they return.
I think it's on a timer.

Mine's done it now and again. Had to get the AA out once to retrieve the keys from the parcel shelf. :mad:

However, I don't think it's a standard feature as the fob won't work after the car locks itself. If it were normal it'd unlock in the regular way.

What happens if you were to die in your car? Would you be locked in?
If it works like mine, no. If you touch either of the front doors, or the tailgate when the key is in proximity (usually has to be within less than a foot of the car), the doors automatically open.

Of course, you can override that with the manual lock switch. Otherwise people trying to get in when you didn't want them to could be a problem.

Dirt Bike Accident Sympathy Story Misfires.

The Manchester Evening News is increasingly like daytime shock-tv. The compensation-culture scrotes line up to be pilloried.

The bloodied face is a bit grim but the lad got off fairly lightly: I recall a similar story from fifteen years ago, where a nuisance biker failed to notice that his chosen slalom-posts were a chain-fence. Exit head. :eek:

Dirt Bike Accident Sympathy Story Misfires.

The Manchester Evening News is increasingly like daytime shock-tv. The compensation-culture scrotes line up to be pilloried.

The bloodied face is a bit grim but the lad got off fairly lightly: I recall a similar story from fifteen years ago, where a nuisance biker failed to notice that his chosen slalom-posts were a chain-fence. Exit head. :eek:

I do have a (hopefully irrational) fear of some b"""""d stretching a wire across the road when I'm riding the mo'sickle. Still, it'd be quick. Riding a motorbike at all probably gets you at least an honourable mention for trying to remove yourself from the gene pool without too much inconvenience to others.

Strangely enough so do I. Cycling on the old tram lines between Preston and Lostock Hall at night with no lights on the path especially. As you said, irrational though.

I do have a (hopefully irrational) fear of some b"""""d stretching a wire across the road when I'm riding the mo'sickle. Still, it'd be quick.

This happened on Llandudno promenade in about 1975. A hotel chef was riding his motorbike home along the prom in the early hours when he encountered a rope or wire stretched across it and was instantly decapitated. This stuck in my mind because I'd stayed there shortly before and was able to visualise it.

Can't remember if the culprit was ever caught, or maybe I didn't hear about it. Awful business.

This happened on Llandudno promenade in about 1975. A hotel chef was riding his motorbike home along the prom in the early hours when he encountered a rope or wire stretched across it and was instantly decapitated. This stuck in my mind because I'd stayed there shortly before and was able to visualise it.

Can't remember if the culprit was ever caught, or maybe I didn't hear about it. Awful business.

Ouch - and I don't live that far from Llandudno, I've ridden along the promenade. Not at night though.

Edit: And, Lo - there is a thread on decapitiating cyclists already here:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/beheaded-cyclist.5774/

found it while looking to see if they had caught the guy who did it.

Last edited:
DRIVER RESCUED AFTER VAN GETS STUCK IN WISCONSIN DRAWBRIDGE

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Firefighters had to rescue a man after his minivan became wedged in a drawbridge in downtown Green Bay.

Officials say the van got stuck between one of the opening spans and the fixed roadway on the Walnut Street Bridge early Thursday.

The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says the driver went around the traffic arm and apparently drove onto the opening span, then coasted back into the gap. Firefighters worried the van could fall through the opening, so they cut a hole in the van's roof and pulled the man through the hole. Video** shows a heavy duty wrecker lifting the van out of the gap.

The man was not hurt. Officials say the bridge was not damaged.

SOURCE: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-22-17-47-18

**VIDEO: https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnNjm32B9nQ

From The Columbian:-

Officials: Man killed while mixing up explosives at home
By Associated Press
Published: June 22, 2017, 9:21 AM

LINCOLN, Maine — Maine investigators say a homeowner died in an explosion in his basement where he was experimenting with explosives.
The State Fire Marshal’s office says 67-year-old Robert Stuart was killed instantly Wednesday night while mixing up explosives at his home in Lincoln.
A State Police bomb team found five IEDs in the basement and exploded them in Stuart’s backyard.
Stuart’s wife told investigators her husband had been making devices to blow up tree stumps.
Stuart’s body was found in the basement where the explosion occurred. Officials say there was little damage to the house.
Investigators say they have called the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to track down where and when Stuart purchased bomb-making material.

Source: http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/jun/22/officials-man-killed-while-mixing-up-explosives-at-home/

Man climbs Snowdon in pants. Man subsequently rescued after getting hypothermia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-41306122

People climbing Snowdon are being urged to wear appropriate clothing after a man who reached the summit in just his pants developed hypothermia.

Nathan French, 19, took to the highest peak in England and Wales in his Superman underwear to raise money for charity.

But a paramedic was called to meet the Liverpool student after his descent.

Phil Benbow, of North Wales Mountain Rescue Association, said they were seeing more unprepared visitors.

Mr French, of Halewood, Merseyside, decided to take on the challenge to raise money for a dementia charity after his grandmother developed the condition.

He said he became unwell at the summit after completing the 1,085m (3,559ft) climb on 9 September and returned to the bottom on the Snowdon Mountain Railway.

"I keep fit and I am healthy but I was taken by surprise by how cold I got," he said.

seriously_wtf_pictures_640_08.jpg

A self-proclaimed 'magic man' steamed himself to death while trying to 'cleanse his body and soul.'

'Black Dog' Lim Ba suffered a massive heart attack and second-degree burns during the stunt inside a huge metal pot with a fire underneath.

Devotees first discovered something was wrong when desperate knocks from inside the boiling hot “human steam” cover could be heard about 30 minutes in.

They quickly removed the cover to discover him unconscious.

Horrifying footage shows him convulsing uncontrollably as people scramble to get him away from the heat and onto the ground.

Lim, 68, was performing a “human steaming” stunt during a Nine Emperor God prayer session at Chinese temple Kuala Sanglang Qinglong, in Malaysia's Suala Sanglang.

The Taoist medium was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

"He underwent a heart bypass last year due to on-and-off breathing difficulties,”

Despite repeated pleas to stop, Lim had been performing the human-steaming stunt for more than 10 years - one time staying in there for 75 minutes.

During a recent performance of it at a Nine Emperor Gods celebration in Ayer Tawar, Perak, Kang Huai said food - such as rice, sweet corn and vegetarian buns - were put inside the wok to be steamed as well.

“My mother Ch’ng Siew Hong, my sisters and I are very sad. Our cheerful father has left us forever,” he said.

This looks a great idea doesn't it?..

THP_CHP_251017Youtube_3023JPG.jpg

Back