• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could have turned out a lot worse. Video of the incident is available at the link.

Let's hope these folks are as lucky with the marriage itself ...
Giant wave sweeps newlyweds into the ocean during photo shoot

A wedding photo shoot on a California beach ended in near disaster when the newlyweds were swept from a large rock by a giant wave.

A witness captured video of the scene near the Montage Hotel in Laguna Beach when the couple, dressed in their wedding garb, were hit by a giant wave and swept into the water. ...

The video shows a team of lifeguards hurrying to rescue the drenched, but uninjured, couple. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...o-the-ocean-during-photo-shoot/5091593720680/

Church ‘prophet’ runs at lions to prove God will save him, has buttocks mauled

Metro News, 12 March, 2016

A Christian leader has had his buttocks mauled by a lion after running towards the creature to try and prove the ‘Lord’s power over animals’.

Alec Ndiwane, a Zion church leader, was on safari with fellow members of his church when he decided to show how God would save him if he approached a pride of feeding lions.

Ndiwane, who calls himself a ‘prophet’ was said to have fallen into a ‘deep trance’ before charging at the lions in South Africa’s Kruger national Park. He was also speaking in tongues.

But the man quickly realised God was not going to save him after the lions gave chase, very much viewing him as prey.

The church leader sprinted back to the car but not before one of the animals sunk his jaws into his bum, Ghanaweb reported.

Ndiware was taken to hospital where emergency surgeons stitched up the injuries to his behind and he was later discharged.
[END]

https://www.metro.co.uk/2016/03/12/...od-will-save-him-has-buttocks-mauled-5748022/

One can merely speculate if Mr Ndiwane, later reflecting on his lion-munched derrière, concluded his presumptions were somewhat half-arsed in the first place...

A man is offering a Welsh council £7.4 million to dig in its tip for his lost Bitcoin

4 Dec 2017, Wales Online

The owner of a laptop containing $100 million worth of Bitcoin lost in a Newport dump is battling the council for his right to dig for it.

Four years ago, Welsh IT worker James Howells says he accidentally threw away a hard drive full of Bitcoin which he believes is now worth more than $100 million (around £74 million).

He’s been fighting Newport city council ever since for a permit to look for the computer, which contains over 7,500 units of the cryptocurrency and is buried below thousands of tonnes of rubbish on a landfill site.

A spokesperson for the council said James has been told “on several occasions” he will not be given a permit despite his offer of a 10% cut.

The 32-year-old says the council has repeatedly “stonewalled” him even though he claims to have several investors lined up to fund the dig.

He added: “How can they leave $100 million in the ground when making cuts to services left right and centre"?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-offering-welsh-council-74-13993161

If, like myself, you have a metal detector and had known about this at the time, then could have offered to help..

Hang on though.. does that say, 'buried in a landfill rubbish dump'...

A man is offering a Welsh council £7.4 million to dig in its tip for his lost Bitcoin

4 Dec 2017, Wales Online

The owner of a laptop containing $100 million worth of Bitcoin lost in a Newport dump is battling the council for his right to dig for it.

Four years ago, Welsh IT worker James Howells says he accidentally threw away a hard drive full of Bitcoin which he believes is now worth more than $100 million (around £74 million).

He’s been fighting Newport city council ever since for a permit to look for the computer, which contains over 7,500 units of the cryptocurrency and is buried below thousands of tonnes of rubbish on a landfill site.

A spokesperson for the council said James has been told “on several occasions” he will not be given a permit despite his offer of a 10% cut.

The 32-year-old says the council has repeatedly “stonewalled” him even though he claims to have several investors lined up to fund the dig.

He added: “How can they leave $100 million in the ground when making cuts to services left right and centre"?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-offering-welsh-council-74-13993161

If, like myself, you have a metal detector and had known about this at the time, then could have offered to help..

Hang on though.. does that say, 'buried in a landfill rubbish dump'...
You have to feel a touch sorry for this character.

You have to feel a touch sorry for this character.
I know... you shouldn't laugh... just that... every time I think of our poor fellow, shovel in hand, surveying the impending landscape...

'It must be in there, somewhere...'.

ESS-AdobeStock_123780524_PlasticMountain_resize_13.jpg

I know... you shouldn't laugh... just that... every time I think of our poor fellow, shovel in hand, surveying the impending landscape...

'It must be in there, somewhere...'

I know there's an awful lot to be said for technology - but try getting $100 million dollars into a wallet you accidentally put out with the recycling.

Church ‘prophet’ runs at lions to prove God will save him, has buttocks mauled

Metro News, 12 March, 2016

A Christian leader has had his buttocks mauled by a lion after running towards the creature to try and prove the ‘Lord’s power over animals’.

Alec Ndiwane, a Zion church leader, was on safari with fellow members of his church when he decided to show how God would save him if he approached a pride of feeding lions.

Ndiwane, who calls himself a ‘prophet’ was said to have fallen into a ‘deep trance’ before charging at the lions in South Africa’s Kruger national Park. He was also speaking in tongues.

But the man quickly realised God was not going to save him after the lions gave chase, very much viewing him as prey.

The church leader sprinted back to the car but not before one of the animals sunk his jaws into his bum, Ghanaweb reported.

Ndiware was taken to hospital where emergency surgeons stitched up the injuries to his behind and he was later discharged.
[END]

https://www.metro.co.uk/2016/03/12/...od-will-save-him-has-buttocks-mauled-5748022/

One can merely speculate if Mr Ndiwane, later reflecting on his lion-munched derrière, concluded his presumptions were somewhat half-arsed in the first place...
Reality bites. Some folks will never learn, even after hundreds of years apparently.

I admit I don't know a huge amount about it, but surely Bitcoin is just data? It's not a physical thing stored in a laptop.

Is it not just 'credit' on a site, kinda like PayPal?

Yes, this has been known. Lost passwords are also problem.

Visit Bitcoin website and click 'I've forgotten my password'

....or...

Convince local council to dig up landfill site to recover a knackered old laptop.

Carlos: It isn't simply like that. The bitcoins are unique pieces of data, which can't simply be copied or moved around. . Losing the password for your laptop is like losing the key to your vault.

Not sure if this qualifies as great stupidity, but attending a locked-down video meeting with your colleagues whilst taking a shower, did strike me as rather amusing:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ter-showing-during-livestreamed-video-meeting

Whilst not quite as revealing, I came within a body hair of doing something within the same ball-park last week.
My team has a virtual meeting on Zoom just before Wednesday lunchtimes and, as I have been working from home, with my conservatory being my new office, I was wilting a bit in 30+ degree heat and only had my shorts on. As soon as I clicked the [Enter meeting now] button, I suddenly realised that the sight of my un-draped torso probably wouldn't be much appreciated, so ran upstairs to grab a t-shirt and rejoined the meeting just in time.

Carlos: It isn't simply like that. The bitcoins are unique pieces of data, which can't simply be copied or moved around. . Losing the password for your laptop is like losing the key to your vault.
They are also difficult to bequeath in a will because of that.

Ah well that explains it then. So they can't be backed-up? Seems.... insecure.

EDIT: And a quick Google confirms it's completely possible to backup your Bitcoin wallet, in case you need to restore it. So the guy with the laptop is in fact totally at fault for not backing-up his data. What an idiot.

Not sure if this qualifies as great stupidity, but attending a locked-down video meeting with your colleagues whilst taking a shower, did strike me as rather amusing:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ter-showing-during-livestreamed-video-meeting

Whilst not quite as revealing, I came within a body hair of doing something within the same ball-park last week.
My team has a virtual meeting on Zoom just before Wednesday lunchtimes and, as I have been working from home, with my conservatory being my new office, I was wilting a bit in 30+ degree heat and only had my shorts on. As soon as I clicked the [Enter meeting now] button, I suddenly realised that the sight of my un-draped torso probably wouldn't be much appreciated, so ran upstairs to grab a t-shirt and rejoined the meeting just in time.

A wave of discomfort rippled across the videochat as he got out of the shower. “Say something to Berni. Say something to him quickly,” one colleague could be heard saying. Another asked: “We can’t disconnect him or do something?” The mayor swiftly took control, bringing an end to the meeting.

As video of the incident made the rounds online, Bustillo took to social media, saying he was at “complete peace” with what had transpired. He stressed that it had been an innocent accident – a failure of technological know-how rather than anything nefarious.

The meeting started at 8am and continued past 12? :eek: Kudos to him for not having a sudden "IT problem" and leaving the meeting about 2 hours earlier. A shame he felt he had to resign. I would vote for someone with that level of dedication.

I was in a meeting the other week and announced I was not missing the daily commute and the fact I didn’t have to wear trousers to a meeting was a bonus. All of my colleagues in the meeting looked shocked so I said I was just joking and stood up to demonstrate I did in fact have trousers on. I had a virtual background on as well and when my face left the area of the camera it decided I wasn’t there at all and vanished me completely from the screen thus foiling my attempt to show my trousers!

Ah well that explains it then. So they can't be backed-up? Seems.... insecure.

EDIT: And a quick Google confirms it's completely possible to backup your Bitcoin wallet, in case you need to restore it. So the guy with the laptop is in fact totally at fault for not backing-up his data. What an idiot.
Not to mention he was totally irresponsible in how he tossed his hard drive into the regular trash. Aren't there still bits of cadmium, lead and other fun stuff in hard drives?

Not to mention he was totally irresponsible in how he tossed his hard drive into the regular trash. Aren't there still bits of cadmium, lead and other fun stuff in hard drives?
Yep that did occur to me too. Still, I feel a touch sorry for the guy - so close and yet so far.

Back